Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2015 7:46:32 PM EDT
Traded into a KelTec Sub 9 carbine lately.  Takes the Glock 17 and longer mags.  It is a little heavier than a Sub 2000.  Does anyone know if it takes many of the same parts, extractors, etc?  How durable are they?  Had been thinking of building an AR to take 9mm glock mags, but if this works well i may not.  Anyone familiar with these models?
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:56:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you research them before you purchased, or was it an impulse buy. HINT............. KTOG.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:48:22 AM EDT
[#2]
More of an impulse trade, so not really any research on it.  Few guns i had very little in that i've had for years and not shot, and did a trade with an old friend who had not shot this in years either.  Does not look like it's been fired much, and it has a magpul rail attached, and a magpul sling loop.  Guess i'll get it to the range eventually and see how well it shoots.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 1:13:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I have two of them and they run great and are accurate.  I fold one up and slip it in a briefcase when we travel on vacation.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Traded into a KelTec Sub 9 carbine lately.  Takes the Glock 17 and longer mags.  It is a little heavier than a Sub 2000.  Does anyone know if it takes many of the same parts, extractors, etc?  How durable are they?  Had been thinking of building an AR to take 9mm glock mags, but if this works well i may not.  Anyone familiar with these models?
View Quote

I had a Sub 9 for a few years. Sold it to a guy who really wanted one.  What is there to know about it?

Good stuff:

1) Far better carbine than the new plastic Sub2k, no comparison

2) Yes, its heavier....should be... its made out of real metal and not cheap plastic!

3) It has a last round bolt hold open (or at least my S&W59 series did)

4) Much better trigger than new plastic models

5) Better sights than the new model.

Bad stuff:

1)They quit making them over 15 years ago. They don't really sell parts, they hold on to what they do have for warranty repairs. (Life time warranty for original owners I guess).

2) Check your firing pin for wear. They did wear out and when they do your KelTec can earn its name "Sub" as in
"Sub-machine gun"  (The firing pins can wear and jam protruding out making this thing go full auto.) Nice thing is you can still get a new firing pin, it must be the same as the Sub2k)

3) Check for wear on the bolt.

4) Check serial number. They didn't make a lot of these. ( I think mine was like #300 or something low like that). The early ones had some issues with feeding. The ones that got sent back had a taper cut into the back of the barrel to make it feed better.

Oh, and use good magazines. Factory Glock mags are always the best choice. Also, some bullet designs feed much better than others.

Enjoy your Sub. I liked mine and it was 100% reliable. I just had five or six other PCC's and couldn't shoot them all. A nice guy in the Marines was looking for one for his wife for HD use while he was away and I sold it to him. He liked it a lot also.

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Finally made it to the range yesterday.  Fired about 200 rounds through it, various ball (115/124/147) and many HP loads as well.  All mags used were the Glock brand Glockamole (33rnd) mags.  Feeding was 100 % on all loads.  Minor problem however.  The front sight seemed to slide back just a bit, when i attempted to fold the gun to put it in the bag, it would not fold property with the front sight hitting the top of the butplate.  Using a leatherman to make the holding pin on the butplate allow it to fold, and a little bit of force things slid properly into place with a little bit of force.  Not sure if the front sight had moved foreward or the butplate rearward.  Either way i'd like to make it so this does not happen again.  And need to adjust the front sight.  25 yards was dead on, 50 a little high, and did not try at 100.  Maybe next time i get to the range.  

Now to try to find an online manual and some takedown instructions to clean this thing.......
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 2:20:06 PM EDT
[#6]
One other thing to keep an eye on is the screws that hold the thing together. A little bit of blue loctite will keep them tight, otherwise they will eventually back out. I remember that being a common complaint back when those things first came out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top