Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2014 2:16:04 PM EDT
I picked-up this 2000 dated (00xxxx) Marlin Model 9 "Camp Carbine" yesterday. Last year of production.

Sorta weird as it has all the features of early production carbines. Maybe Marlin was cleaning out the parts bins and returned carbines at the end of production.

I knew they took S&W 59 mags and I recently bought a S&W 559 so when one became available I figured I'd go for it to get ammo/mag compatibility with two weapons. I have $455.00 OTD in it. A bit much maybe but I simply wanted it and they don't stay around long.....Meh, can't get the Deal of the Day every day.

Other than some minor stock dings and some soot when I detail cleaned it I found it in very good shape. Even the buffer was still in good shape though I'm replacing it due to age and a unknown round count.

I ordered a one-piece scope base, Wolf 16.5# spring, and a "blue" buffer so that added $30.00 to the cost.

I like lower power scopes on pistol caliber carbines so I put a old 2.75 X 26mm Kollmorgen scope on it along with a old Marlin sling I had.

All the S&W Model 559 mags seem to work fine in the carbine. I'll pick-up a couple more mags for it after I wring it out. It just came with the one 12 round Marlin marked mag.

The 559 and Carbine will go good together.....They are both "boat anchors" with the carbine coming in at 8.5 pounds. Given the weight it should be pleasant enough to shoot.

I won't shoot it till I get the parts I ordered.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice score.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty. I love mine. The MecGar 15's and 20's have been great in both my Camp 9 and 5906.

I don't remember the spring weights, but I replaced the main spring with an extra-power version from Wolff three or four years ago and it's been great. Runs with anything I want to feed it, from heavy & slow Fiocchi 158's to ultralight +P 100-grainers from corbon.

Fwiw, this is a copy & paste (from an excel file) of the results I've chrono'ed from mine with various factory loads. Averages of five-shot strings; the numeric columns are bullet weight, muzzle velocity, and muzzle energy:

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#3]
You got a sweet deal actually. I have a Camp and wouldn't consider less than $550 for it. But....Mine has the Wolff spring and the Blackjack buffer installed. It has extra mags. Also has the newest model Choat five position stock and the scope mount installed. So, add up the extras and you see why I would ask $550. (the stock was over $100 alone).

My Camp is a late model but I forget the exact year. Mine has the latest features like the larger charging handle that doubles as a gas deflector. It has the push up bolt lock on the left side (rather than the old style where you push in the charging handle).  Also, I have a new spare lower and odds and ends new springs. Again, why I wouldn't sell it for less than $550.

I see people paying nearly or even over $500 for a Kel-Tec Sub...a plastic rifle that is lightly built. (and I have a Sub myself...) The Camp has a milled steel receiver, is nicely finished and blued. Its a classic rifle with the size and form of the classic M-1 carbine.  A Camp in good condition is a fine firearm that will give years of service. Keep a good buffer in it and a good recoil spring and shoot her for a long, long time without worry.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You got a sweet deal actually. I have a Camp and wouldn't consider less than $550 for it. But....Mine has the Wolff spring and the Blackjack buffer installed. It has extra mags. Also has the newest model Choat five position stock and the scope mount installed. So, add up the extras and you see why I would ask $550. (the stock was over $100 alone).
View Quote

Looking at the completed (with bids) auctions for a used M-9 it looks like the average is $500.00 before shipping/transfer. Lowball the shipping/transfer and you are easily looking at $565.00 just for the base rifle.

Unless I can make use of or sell the add-ons for a profit they really don't mean anything to me. I buy the weapon, not the assorted stuff that comes with it. Not everyone is bothered about a plastic stock.

Extra mags are always nice but I'd not bid up a auction because of them....They could end-up being Pro-Mags.

As a aside I noticed that the stocks they have came out with for the M-9 are right much on the fugly side with the exception of the Boyds walnut/laminate stocks.

A folding stock made on the lines of the old Federal Ordnance 3-legged under-folders would have been the cat's ass for the M-9.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:36:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Everyone has their own tastes and favorites in their cars, women and firearms. Some go for function, some go for a certain look, some like nice and simple while others load down their choice with lots of bling.

We all have a different idea of what is right for us. Its like the pistol guys who think the only pistol worth owning is a 1911, the bike guys who think if its not a Harley its junk, etc. Its nice we have choices and can buy what we want and set it up the way we want it.

The Marlin Camp was a nice rifle. It went out of favor as people transitioned into AR's, AK's, etc. The Ruger PC-9 went the same route. I find it interesting now that people will pay $450 or more for a Kel-Tec Sub2k. The Camp is so much better made and easier to shoot. But the Sub is in favor right now. Kel-Tec can't make enough of them for demand. A good Camp 9 at a fair price is a good deal. There are other 9mm carbines out there but except for a fugly Hi-Point its hard to beat the price of a good Camp-9 when you consider what you are getting.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:40:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The Marlin Camp was a nice rifle. It went out of favor as people transitioned into AR's, AK's, etc. The Ruger PC-9 went the same route. I find it interesting now that people will pay $450 or more for a Kel-Tec Sub2k. The Camp is so much better made and easier to shoot. But the Sub is in favor right now. Kel-Tec can't make enough of them for demand. A good Camp 9 at a fair price is a good deal. There are other 9mm carbines out there but except for a fugly Hi-Point its hard to beat the price of a good Camp-9 when you consider what you are getting.

View Quote

I have both a Kel-Tec S2K and a Sub-9 and let's face it while the Camp carbines are far and away better made they don't fold in half to fit in a laptop case either.

I think the "Quit Building It and They Will Come" thing comes into play with the Camp Carbines. Sort of like the long discontinued .22/.410 Springfield M6 Scout survival rifles whose prices border on retarded now.

It least with the Camp Carbines you get something for your money.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:31:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to the Camp 9 club!

I purchased mine in 1989 as a graduation present for myself and I still own it. It is a fun little gun.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Great score!

I've tried almost all PCC's and the Marlin camp series is, with out a doubt, my second favorite.  I hope to find one someday like yours!
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes I'm a Camp whore :) I own 3 in 9mm and 1 in .45. I made a small modification to my XD-9 mags and use them in both my pistol and carbines.

OP welcome to the fun.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:44:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Do the 12rd 69series mag fit?
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 1:41:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes. I use mostly S&W and MecGar 15's and MecGar 20's, but any 59 or 69 series magazine will work afaik.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Looking at the completed (with bids) auctions for a used M-9 it looks like the average is $500.00 before shipping/transfer. Lowball the shipping/transfer and you are easily looking at $565.00 just for the base rifle.

Unless I can make use of or sell the add-ons for a profit they really don't mean anything to me. I buy the weapon, not the assorted stuff that comes with it. Not everyone is bothered about a plastic stock.

Extra mags are always nice but I'd not bid up a auction because of them....They could end-up being Pro-Mags.

As a aside I noticed that the stocks they have came out with for the M-9 are right much on the fugly side with the exception of the Boyds walnut/laminate stocks.

A folding stock made on the lines of the old Federal Ordnance 3-legged under-folders would have been the cat's ass for the M-9.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Choate did make a right side folder. I found one about 15 years ago for mine and it make a difference.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes I'm a Camp whore :) I own 3 in 9mm and 1 in .45. I made a small modification to my XD-9 mags and use them in both my pistol and carbines.

OP welcome to the fun.
View Quote

What mod is that? My dad has a Camp 9, and I'd like to help him get some newer mags.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:17:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What mod is that? My dad has a Camp 9, and I'd like to help him get some newer mags.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP welcome to the fun.

Nothing fancy about getting mags for the Camp 9. It uses any magazine that will fit a S&W 59 series. That includes " 59 SERIES 459 659 910 915 59XX (5909, etc)

The S&W was the king of the double-stack "Wonder 9's" for some years and there are a lot of magazines out there for them. If you really can't find any shoot me an email and maybe I have some spares I might part with.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top