Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2013 2:06:18 PM EDT
I've been thinking about purchasing a Tommy Gun from Auto-Ordnance. Does anyone have experience with their Tommy Guns? Are they reliable? Shoot well? Worth the $1000+ investment? I read in an article that only FMJ is recommended for the Tommy Gun. Is this true? Lets hear your thoughts.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I love the look, but for a 1000 bucks, I couldn't bring myself to buying one. A Thompson in semi auto lacks the appeal. Plus, they're heavy sumbitches. Figure 12 pounds unless you get one of the aluminum receiver ones.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought this one pre Kahr, It's an Auto Ordinance M1.  
It's closest to what my dad carried in WW2, so it still brings back memories.

One of these days I'll sbr it, and put a cutts compensator on.  It is one heavy mother, totally unergonomic but still fun to shoot.

I have run some Hard cast lead bullets, but I stick with fmj almost all the time, with hand loads they have to pretty stout, that a lot of metal to move to cycle the gun.

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
One of these days I'll sbr it, and put a cutts compensator on.  It is one heavy mother, totally unergonomic but still fun to shoot.
I have run some Hard cast lead bullets, but I stick with fmj almost all the time, with hand loads they have to pretty stout, that a lot of metal to move to cycle the gun.

Thats one nice looking gun. Has much changed since Kahr took over that you know of? Better, worse, same quality?
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a Kahr the 1927 Deluxe version.

Gun was well made. Very nice wood and finish.
Heavy. Think grunt when you pick it up heavy.
Accuracy - meh. At 50meters 6"groups.
Sights - large. Difficult to do pin point shooting with. Rear sight base screws kept coming loose on mine. Blue LockTite solved the problem.
Ergonomics - suck. Only one way to shoulder it.
Trigger - sucked big time. Heavy with Loooong pull thru. You'll get used to it tho.

Had to go thru many mags to get 8 or so that actually would run. All I ever used was 30rd USGI.
I also had to "fit" the USGI mags by slightly filing the mag catch notch to fit.
Never used a drum so cannot comment on them. VERY $$$$$ too.

Use ONLY full power 230gr RNFMJ's.  
HP's and cast bullets = bad juju.

Once I figured out the ammo and mags it ran 100%.

Ammo costs are steep.

Difficult to unpossible to shoot off of bench or bags.

Overall it really is a great range toy.
Always got lots of attention.
Made a hell of an impressive home defense weapon.

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 3:24:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I would love one in 9mm.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 3:43:17 PM EDT
[#6]
i really like mine. it's an older version....think i got it 02 or 03. it was not reliable out of the box. took a bunch of work from a guy that knows thompsons. but it runs like a champ. more than a few parts are usgi....including the ww2 savage lower. an sbr (using the savage barrel) is in the works. several years ago the barrel was shortened by the length of the cutts which was then silver soldiered on. it never sees store bought fmj anymore. round nose lead in 230grain is all it needs.
it was a labor of love in my case. a full auto is well above my pay grade, and i wanted a typewriter.
the best thing i did was quit screwing up the mags to fit gun. once i modified the mag catch to work with usgi mags as they are life greatly improved with it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice looking gun, I have a question for you, how did you modify the mag catch, I haven't done that and am still trying to make magazines fit by enlarging the mag hole.

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats one nice looking gun. Has much changed since Kahr took over that you know of? Better, worse, same quality?

I think the Kahr is reliable, I haven't heard any negative things about the Thompson's when they went from AO to Kahr.

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I love mine, I run it at the local 2 gun fun shoot and STOMP all over guys with AR-15's.  I've even smoked people at pin shoots with a mandatory reload, by loading faster than guys with AR's (experienced guys no less).
Pre-khar is better.

The guns are not that heavy.   The weight is all in the receiver, not out at the end of the barrel.

The long barrels of the Semi-auto guns make them VERY quit.   Almost hearing safe to shoot with mine.

People say the semi auto guns are boring, it's far from the case, I love mine.

It's awesome being able to let people shoot it especially kids. The things really turn heads.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 5:03:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nice looking gun, I have a question for you, how did you modify the mag catch, I haven't done that and am still trying to make magazines fit by enlarging the mag hole.  

with a dremel. take about an 0.125" from the top side of the mag catch......instead of removing that same eighth from the mag.

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 5:20:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks the the input guys. :) Anyone know if the lightweight aluminum receivers are decent?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 6:24:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Here are a few photos of my AO 1927a1 (T1B50D).  I have the detachable stock version and it is a blast to take to the range.

I have 1 30 round and 5 20 round stick mags and one 50 round drum.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:48:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Here are a few photos of my AO 1927a1 (T1B50D).  I have the detachable stock version and it is a blast to take to the range.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj171/vedearduff/Shooting/Guns/Thompson/Thompson-03.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj171/vedearduff/Shooting/Guns/Thompson/Thompson-02.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj171/vedearduff/Shooting/Guns/Thompson/Thompson-01.jpg

Nice lookin toy. :)
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:53:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I have an Auto Ordinance 1928 pistol and can do bump fire mag dumps with 200gr SWC lead bullets all day long. It's straight up Al Capone! I don't shoot it much anymore though since I can't run a suppressor on it (no threads). I even carried it to the gun show last weekend to try to sell.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have an Auto Ordinance 1928 pistol and can do bump fire mag dumps with 200gr SWC lead bullets all day long. It's straight up Al Capone! I don't shoot it much anymore though since I can't run a suppressor on it (no threads). I even carried it to the gun show last weekend to try to sell.

Sounds like a blast.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#17]
My friend has one (Kahr) and it runs well after it broke in. Compaired to the gen III sub guns the gen I's are heavy. As a big history guy I loved shooting it.
If you have an interest in one, get it and don't get discouraged by poor feeding until it gets worked in.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#18]
I've had mine just over a year (purchased new) and have had absolutely no problems of any nature (other than the hit the bank account takes for a range trip).
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I have two..... a 1927A1 built by AO in West Hurley, and a M1 by Kahr. Both needed work but they both run a champ
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#20]
How easy are magazines to find for a Tommy? (Obviously at this time they're probably not out there in large numbers)

I live in what is now communist Colorado, so I better get them before its too late.

Also, what magazines do you guys recommend?
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#21]
the only box mags for them, are almost all usgi from the '40s or earlier. nobody makes new mags for them. the mags kahr sells are just usgi mags that they modified(hacked) to fit the semis.
i'm not sure who is making "L" drums for them and i thing only one outfit made aftermarket "C" drums.
to sum it up there is not a lot to choose from other than where to buy from.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 12:51:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
the only box mags for them, are almost all usgi from the '40s or earlier. nobody makes new mags for them. the mags kahr sells are just usgi mags that they modified(hacked) to fit the semis.
i'm not sure who is making "L" drums for them and i thing only one outfit made aftermarket "C" drums.
to sum it up there is not a lot to choose from other than where to buy from.

Interesting. I didn't realize they weren't making them anymore. Do the ones around seem to still be in pretty decent shape?
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#23]
several years ago new in the wrapper 30rd were easily found. 20rders were not as plentiful, but not hard to come by.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
several years ago new in the wrapper 30rd were easily found. 20rders were not as plentiful, but not hard to come by.

Good info. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 9:40:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Kahr now makes and sells new 30 rnd stick mags that have the latch hole at the correct height for the 27A1 (rather than oval cutting out the latch hole on the GI mags).  Also, I believe Kahr still sells the 10 round drum (short stick inside a drum body) for CA customers.

Best of luck and enjoy whatever you decide.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 5:02:32 PM EDT
[#26]
It is my goal in life to get the M1 sb
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:20:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It is my goal in life to get the M1 sb

Makes two of us. It'd be such a fun toy to take to the range. We can wish.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Just went out and shot my M1 with aluminum receiver yesterday, along with its big brothers, the Garand and carbine.   This is about the 5th time taking it out and finally no problems.   Other outings I would get a FTF.   Did purchase some 20 rnd factory mags, did not work the best but the ones I used yesterday were modified 30 rnd GI mags.   No problems.    Tried bump firing it just too heavy and bulky with very heavy  trigger pull.   Will work on that.   But have a huge interest in WW2 so had to have a thompson.   Hope to SBR it some day down the road.  Cool gun to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 7:16:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just went out and shot my M1 with aluminum receiver yesterday, along with its big brothers, the Garand and carbine.   This is about the 5th time taking it out and finally no problems.   Other outings I would get a FTF.   Did purchase some 20 rnd factory mags, did not work the best but the ones I used yesterday were modified 30 rnd GI mags.   No problems.    Tried bump firing it just too heavy and bulky with very heavy  trigger pull.   Will work on that.   But have a huge interest in WW2 so had to have a thompson.   Hope to SBR it some day down the road.  Cool gun to shoot.

I'm jealous! Take me out with you next time? Do you like the aluminum receiver? Does it seem pretty stout?
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 4:50:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj171/vedearduff/Shooting/Guns/Thompson/Thompson-03.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj171/vedearduff/Shooting/Guns/Thompson/Thompson-02.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj171/vedearduff/Shooting/Guns/Thompson/Thompson-01.jpg

Nice set-up for a fun firearm...I bought mine in '93 before prices shot-up on drums and what Khar currently offers for about $1-k more than I originally invested.  I bought the AO FBI "style" hard case.  It has a compartment for the '28 butt stock, carbine, 2-L drums and 3 stick mags.  While I don't want to put more $ into it, if I ever SBR it, I would also like a gunsmith to install a quick detach for the front vertical grip so it would fit into a real violin case.

Link Posted: 4/4/2013 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I did the same mod along with several others to my Kahr Commando when I sbr'd it.  The only item's left on mine that are still Kahr is the receiver and internals.  The rest is all original GI issue (Savage Manufactured).  I did a lot of research on how to marry the GI lower with the Kahr upper.  Including modding the magazine release as well converting the full auto selector to become a bolt hold open so I can easily insert and remove drum magazines.

Link Posted: 4/6/2013 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#33]
So I've decided to finally pull the plug & get a Tommy gun.

I'm thinking either the 1927 A1 Blued Steel Receiver or 1927 A1 Lightweight aluminum model. Which would you guys recommend?

Also, I can only find them for sale online on either Gunbroker or www.tommygunner.com.

Are these the only 2 places you can order online? Are there other sites that have them for sale?
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 6:46:34 AM EDT
[#34]
OK I know this won't be the most popular post on the subject but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway.
I've owned 3 Tommy guns, Kahr, West Hurley and a TA-5 pistol. I recently took advantage of the gun grab and sold all three making a really nice profit.
I'm done hauling around a rifle to shoot a pistol round. Granted I love the 45 ACP round in a pistol.  But why a 10 pound rifle to shoot 75 -100 yards. There are a lot better choices to be made. Kriss 45, AR-15 with a beta mag and a slide fire stock, Saiga 12 with a 25 round drum, any AR-10 which is my choice.
If you need to waste a bunch of 45 ACP ammo try a couple S&W M&P 45's or a Glock and a hand full of 14 round mags. You can buy a couple, maybe three of them with a stack of mags for the cost of a Thompson now days.
However if money is no object and you are just looking for a toy they are fun for awhile.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 9:05:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
OK I know this won't be the most popular post on the subject but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway.
I've owned 3 Tommy guns, Kahr, West Hurley and a TA-5 pistol. I recently took advantage of the gun grab and sold all three making a really nice profit.
I'm done hauling around a rifle to shoot a pistol round. Granted I love the 45 ACP round in a pistol.  But why a 10 pound rifle to shoot 75 -100 yards. There are a lot better choices to be made. Kriss 45, AR-15 with a beta mag and a slide fire stock, Saiga 12 with a 25 round drum, any AR-10 which is my choice.
If you need to waste a bunch of 45 ACP ammo try a couple S&W M&P 45's or a Glock and a hand full of 14 round mags. You can buy a couple, maybe three of them with a stack of mags for the cost of a Thompson now days.
However if money is no object and you are just looking for a toy they are fun for awhile.

I want opinions, whether they are positive or negative towards a Tommy. I want to hear all sides. :) So thanks for your input!
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want opinions, whether they are positive or negative towards a Tommy. I want to hear all sides. :) So thanks for your input!

coryumph,

As long as you realize they are a working replica piece of good ol' Americana, you'll enjoy it!  Sure, it's a range toy, but with a 50-rd drum of .45 ACP, it could be a good zombie eradicator.  I've had my West Hurley 1927 A-1 for about 20 yrs., and it's been reliable and fun during it's occasional trip to the range with me.

Link Posted: 4/7/2013 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

A lot of people share your opinion.
My counter opinion, is tommy guns are only as enjoyable as you make them.  I really enjoy mine because I can shoot it in 2 gun shoots and whoop peoples asses who are shooting AR's with optics, I let young kids shoot it and REALLY make their day, and the vain side of me enjoys the looks I get when I pull it out of the case.   I love letting people hold it and feel the wight, and then the look of amazement when I shoot it one handed (not at public ranges).
When you say there are better choices, that's very subjective.  If you're interested in 1930's era gangster guns, An AR with a beta mag is not going to match this;

Not everyone gets guns because of usefulness or practicality.  Sometimes people just like to collect them for what they are.  No one says you have to shoot guns to enjoy them.  My Thompson gets used more for shooting bad guys on TV then it goes to the range these days.
I will agree with you that they are basically a big toy.  But they are what you make them and I've enjoyed mine since I got it in back in the late 90's.

Link Posted: 4/7/2013 2:18:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

My counter opinion, is tommy guns are only as enjoyable as you make them.  

When you say there are better choices, that's very subjective.  If you're interested in 1930's era gangster guns, An AR with a beta mag is not going to match this;

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/397011_10151131818835346_369466864_n.jpg

I will agree with you that they are basically a big toy.  But they are what you make them and I've enjoyed mine since I got it in back in the late 90's.

i love me some prohibition-era hardware.

Link Posted: 4/8/2013 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#39]
I don't think anyone is interested in buying a Thompson for HD or some other more practical reason.
They're simply a cool addition to the collection and a conversation starter at the range.

I know that is the reason I bought mine, to round out my sub gun collection and to have a fun plinker.

Link Posted: 4/8/2013 4:36:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I don't think anyone is interested in buying a Thompson for HD or some other more practical reason.
They're simply a cool addition to the collection and a conversation starter at the range.

I know that is the reason I bought mine, to round out my sub gun collection and to have a fun plinker.

I agree. There are much better HD guns. A Tommy gun is simply a fun range toy in my eyes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Just an update - I purchased model T150D & am currently waiting for it to arrive.

Pics are to come...
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Here it is.

I've only shot 5 rounds through it so far (reloads) and they all fed & shot fine, so that was encouraging.

Here are my first impressions - The thing is a HEAVY MOTHER, and the bolt is a bear to pull back & charge. Hoping it loosens up with more rounds through it. It's also a bit of an awkward gun to shoulder.

But it shoots great, no recoil, and I love the way it looks.
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#43]
only ones worth investment are pre-86 full auto ones.

As a shooter, it's too heavy and unwieldy compared to other platforms such as UMP, Camp 45, AR15 in 45, Grease Gun, etc.

I've shot both semiautomatic version and FA version, FWIW.

In FA version, if you shoot it with a drum, it's extremely controllable and accurate but it's unwieldy and too heavy for the caliber.

Although I think they do LOOK COOL!

Quoted:
I've been thinking about purchasing a Tommy Gun from Auto-Ordnance. Does anyone have experience with their Tommy Guns? Are they reliable? Shoot well? Worth the $1000+ investment? I read in an article that only FMJ is recommended for the Tommy Gun. Is this true? Lets hear your thoughts.

Link Posted: 5/16/2013 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

only ones worth investment are pre-86 full auto ones.

Semi's never get cheaper to purchase, even Pre-khars are going for 12-1500.

Mine was purchased for $900...  If I were to sell it I would profit, for less initial investment than a MG I can't buy in my state anyways.

As a shooter, it's too heavy and unwieldy compared to other platforms such as UMP, Camp 45, AR15 in 45, Grease Gun, etc.

Training and strength issue.  I can run mine faster than most people can run AR-15's.  In fact, the VFG puts you out in the same position that shotguns, and 3-gun Magpul style grips do...

I've shot both semiautomatic version and FA version, FWIW.

So have I, It's a blast, even in semi IMHO.

In FA version, if you shoot it with a drum, it's extremely controllable and accurate but it's unwieldy and too heavy for the caliber.

Too heavy?  It's 10.8 lbs empty, hardly more than pump action shotguns of the time.

Although I think they do LOOK COOL!

Quoted:

You keep saying they are heavy and unwieldy, what do you consider heavy?  How tall are you?  The only time I ever thought they were unweildly was as a kid.  Once I got used to shooting them in 2 gun, I can run with modern guns.

Link Posted: 5/17/2013 3:16:30 PM EDT
[#45]
this is a buddy shooting mine a few years ago.

http://youtu.be/Ibd2KwBzmFY
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top