Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2017 6:51:02 PM EDT
It would be a truly discretionary purchase and would likely get little use.  There are just too many forces factoring against me actually making the purchase.

There is also the analysis paralysis -

1.  I can't decide on the type - falling block single shot (Quigley-esque) or repeater (Wayne-esque)  

2.  I can't decide on the model - 1873, 1892,...

3.  I can't decide on the aesthetics - color case hardened, blued, stainless, round barrel, octagonal barrel,...

The only thing I am clear on is the cartridge chambering - 357!  It would match my Python revolver.

Sometimes, life is tough, no?  
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Henry.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:17:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Henry.
View Quote
yeah

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/big-boy/
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:22:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah both the Winchester 73 or 92 are excellent models for the 357 magnum caliber. The 73 model will be smoother and faster, cowboy action shooters prefer this model. The 92 has a stronger action for more powerful loads and it's a lighter weapon, would make a better ranch hunting gun. You can pick up a Rossi 92 model for pretty cheap. The Winchester or Uberti 73 models are more expensive, but they are nicer. 
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:18:07 AM EDT
[#4]
If your eyes are good I'd go with the Rossi.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:45:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Henry.
View Quote
A rare first post failed it (FPFI)

No side gate loading nullifies the Henry.  Get a real lever gun.

I have a Rossi M92 in 44 Mag with a 16 inch barrel and for the price it is an excellent little lever gun.  357 Mag is available.

OP sell the silly Python and buy two Rossi's and two S&W's and be happy!
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Henry.
I agree.  That's why Henry is not on my list.  Is it a patent infringement issue that keeps them from making side loaders?
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 12:37:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes you do:  You left out hardchrome: Here is a pic to help out your lame ass boring thread

Link Posted: 7/11/2017 12:55:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I want one, too, for a farm and walking around rifle. Mine would mostly be to plink at crap in the yard, but also maybe hunt. Not sure yet. I'm looking at options.

I had a henry 22 in the past and it was a blast. I'm also seeing Marlin has a huge rebate, but heard their quality sucks right now, so not sure.

I also have no idea what caliber to choose?
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Also do want, also do not know which
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes you do:  You left out hardchrome: Here is a pic to help out your lame ass boring thread
http://i.imgur.com/3jVLeQw.jpg?1
View Quote
Lame it is.  I think that is the whole point, isn't it?

Hey!, your post fits right in, too.*

*  Except for the pic which I appreciate.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have a Rossi M92 in 44 Mag with a 16 inch barrel and for the price it is an excellent little lever gun.  357 Mag is available.

View Quote
Lol my buddy showed up at the range a couple weeks ago with a new Henry.  First lever gun and he never noticed it didn't have a loading gate until he pulled it out of the box.  Man he was pissed haha.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Completely different but.....

Browning BLR is awesome
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/3jVLeQw.jpg?1
View Quote
Hard Chrome..... PFFFFF

Factory Stainless

Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I love my Rossi 92 slicked it up and she runs and runs. I also have a Marlin 336 and it is becoming one of my favorite hunters.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a Henry .22 and a Rossi 357.  

The Henry is a really fun plinking gun, but the side loading gate and the ability to top off is why I went with the Rossi for a real caliber.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:20:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Know where you're coming from OP. Im wanting a 44 lever gun. The loading gate is a must in my book, but I also want a 16" carbine, which seriously limits my choices unless I'm willing to cut the barrel/ magazine - which I won't do to a new gun.

The struggle is real.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:28:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm casually looking for a .45 Colt R92 and a companion revolver, but who knows when that will actually happen.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:30:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The Henry is a really fun plinking gun, but the side loading gate and the ability to top off is why I went with the Rossi for a real caliber.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a Henry and a Winchester in Rimfire. All rimfire lever guns are loaded from the tube. None can be side loaded.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:39:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Of the 8 leverguns I own, my two Rossi 357mag levers, a blued 20" rd bbl carbine and a blued, case hardened 24" oct bbl rifle are my favorites.  The 357mag caliber is a blast to shoot, and if you handload, it's cheaper to shoot than the cheapest 22mag ammo.  While I have a little Henry 22lr carbine, I agree that the Henry Big Boy in 357mag is a non-starter due to it's lack of a side loading gate and it's significantly heavier weight.  While I have 2 Uberti levers in 45 Colt, a 19", 1866 Yellowboy carbine and a 24" case hardened, oct bbl rifle, their shared togglelink actions limit the usefulness as they should be limited to std pressure (14,000psi max) loads; what the action was designed for.

While the 16" trappers are currently popular, I'm not a fan of their balance and you loose the benefit of the extra barrel length for both velocity and sight radius.  While the 20" carbine is a joy to carry in the field and the best all around choice if you only have one, I also like the extra velocity produced in my 24" rifle.  Further, with a tang sight, you've got a 30" sight radius that really helps shooting longer ranges, something you'd not think a pistol bullet would do well.

However, the 357mag caliber is great in a levergun, especially when loaded with 158 or 180grn bullets at full power with magnum powders like H110, 296, or Lil'Gun.  The extra barrel length allows the powder to develop the max velocity.  I use my Rossi rifle with it's tang and globe sights to shoot steel plates at 300yds.  From mouse fart light loaded 90grn to fire breathing 158grn Buffalo Bore 357mag Heavy ammo that they claim produces 2,153fps in an 18" bbl Marlin, it's a versatile caliber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top