Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2017 6:54:06 AM EDT
I have been looking around lately at the Henry lever action carbines ... going back and forth between the .357 and the .44  ... anyone here have one with photos to share?  good or bad experiences with it ?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:21:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I looked into the Henry 44. It is a nice rifle but I decided against it for two reasons. One, it is not a John Browning historical design, and second, it has no loading gate. Ended up with a new Winchester 94 Trapper 44 Magnum a dealer had bought unfired. It was made in Connecticut in 1994. Yehaw!

Have you looked into the Marlin and Rossi guns?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:44:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I may be moving to NY. yes, I know what that entails. But I would/will go with whatever I end up getting in a revolver. I love a 357 and how it shoots, so I would probably go with the same in the lever gun for commonality. I would do more plinking than anything, and being about to shoot soft 38s out of a rifle is a hoot.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:04:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I may be moving to NY. yes, I know what that entails. But I would/will go with whatever I end up getting in a revolver. I love a 357 and how it shoots, so I would probably go with the same in the lever gun for commonality. I would do more plinking than anything, and being about to shoot soft 38s out of a rifle is a hoot.
View Quote
As to caliber, the 357mag is a very versatile caliber.  Commercial ammo is readily available in 125 and 158grn loads from about $12 per box vs the $20 per box for 44 mag.  If you handload the price difference between the calibers is less, however, you can make up a wider variety of loads with the 357mag.  From 90grn up through 125, 140, 158, 180, and even 200grn light or heavy loads, you can set up for plinking, light game, and even 100yd deer sized loads. 

As to the Henrys, I too find that their excess weight and lack of a side loading gate, make them a non starter for my collection.  I have 2 Ubertis in 45 Colt, a '66 carbine and '73 rifle that weigh as much as the Henrys and they are a bit tiring to lug around in the woods.  I also have 2 Rossis in 357mag, a 20" carbine and 24" rifle and they are much lighter and more fun to carry.

Finally, the 44mag in a levergun is a great, hard hitting caliber for short range shooting.  Their 240 or 300grn bullet loads are well suited for meat getting in the woods.  The 357mag is also a great caliber for a levergun.  It's greater versatility, lower cost, lighter recoil, and much longer range (I shoot my 357mag rifle at steel plates at 300yds)  is hard to beat.  In my book, it makes it a better choice for an all around shooter where you may want to plink, hunt small game, and with heavy loads, take medium game.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:22:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I want to love them, but cannot abide the tube magazine loading thing.

As long as that is how they make them, I won't be owning any.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I looked into the Henry 44. It is a nice rifle but I decided against it for two reasons. One, it is not a John Browning historical design, and second, it has no loading gate. Ended up with a new Winchester 94 Trapper 44 Magnum a dealer had bought unfired. It was made in Connecticut in 1994. Yehaw!

Have you looked into the Marlin and Rossi guns?
View Quote
No i have not looked at those yet, Thanks for the input on the Henry though, I know there are other options out there,  I have not been able to handle one in person yet.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I considered that route also as i have a ruger in .357   I had a smith & wesson 44 but opted to sell it as i didnt really enjoy shooting it all that much, but i do still have a lot of .44 mag ammo and i am set up to reload too
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#7]
As you already handload for 44mag, you can load it light or heavy so I'd say give it a try.  However, I'd much prefer a platform with a side loading gate so either a Rossi '92 or possibly even a steel receiver Uberti '73 carbine.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:08:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:54:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Tube loading isn't an issue for me, I've played with several versions of the Big Boy and Big Boy Steel and just ordered a BBS Carbine in .357.  Toyed with going with the 45 Colt quite a bit before deciding.

Light and handles great.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 1:22:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I like my Rossi 92 16" carbine in 357/38. Light fast and reliable. The henry  is heavy non traditional and the lever must be jacked swiftly to get case to eject just a few inches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top