Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2017 8:39:00 PM EDT
Early'80 Marlin Texan.  Adding a scope and trying to keep it classic looking. A buddy offered to sell me one of the following. Weaver V 1.5-4.5 II or K4 fixed 4 with German post.
I really like the Post reticle.  The V had the wise tv view.
Is there a hands down winner? Or just a preference thing.
Both have good glass but the top vertical crosshair on the V seems to curve at the top. Also it is heavy.
The K is great but he mentioned that he couldn't get enough elevation at a hundred yards....

Your thoughts are appreciated

Regards
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a classic 4x Bushnell sportview on mine
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 2:00:03 PM EDT
[#2]
While not a fan of a 'carry handle' on a western style lever action carbine, there is a decent 'period correct' approach using a Malcolm type scope like the one's HERE.

Link Posted: 5/1/2017 7:06:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Seriously looking at a Malcolm for my 336 cowboy..
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Lyman All American 4X with a German post reticle.  Love that scope was never a fan of the TV scopes
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Trophy XLT on my 336 with Weaver See-Thru rings it looks great and the glass is great super clear.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#6]
My 1948 336 had a Bushnell Chief with command post reticle (regular crosshair reticle with a flip-up post at 6 o'clock) when I got it and I haven't felt the need to put anything different on it.

It looks good on the rifle and it performs plenty well enough for anything I've expected to do with a 30-30.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:19:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Weaver V3 1-3X mounted in QD rings on my 336.  The glass is clear and the scope is small and lightweight.  You can find these scopes brand new for under $200 (I think mine was around $150 on a sale).  It's a great lever gun scope.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:42:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I would look around and see if I could find an older steel tubed fixed 3 or 4 power Weaver like the one in the picture/link below. They are all over the place here in Tx at gun shows etc. 3-4x is all the glass you will ever need for the 30-30 imho. They are available in a variety of reticle choices as well. Very solid scopes, built old sckool style, and they just plain work day in and day out. Generally can be had for +/-$100 most places. ymmv

https://gunsamerica.com/919964584/weaver-vintage-ki-5-c3-post-recticle-2949816.htm?showlogin
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Weaver V3 1-3X mounted in QD rings on my 336.  The glass is clear and the scope is small and lightweight.  You can find these scopes brand new for under $200 (I think mine was around $150 on a sale).  It's a great lever gun scope.
View Quote
+1.  This is what I use on mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top