Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2017 12:56:31 PM EDT
So I'm looking for a .44 mag lever gun set up as a brush all weather pig gun. I can't find anything I like and have been looking at custom builds. I have a quote from Marlin's custom shop for an upgraded 1894 for about $2,400 with the following specs
16.5"
trigger job
dehorn
upgraded sights
Laminated stock
Large loop
I like some of the Taylors not interested in a Rossi and the Henry carbine is nice but way too heavy and I need a more all weather package. You guys have any suggestions for custom shops like Brockmans or grizzly I should look at?
Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:40:31 PM EDT
[#1]
You are going to hate me...
Attachment Attached File

Good luck on your search!

(the red ziptie is a reminder I need to zero the new sights)
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:44:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice is that a Win 94 TE? I have one of those in .357 love it
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#3]
It's going to be tough to find a better lever-gun for 44 Mag than a Winchester model 1892 or clone there of.  Why no interest in Rossi?  The Rossi M92  might not be the fanciest but for the money its hard to beat.  I have a 16 inch M92 in 44 Mag and it is a sweet carrying rifle.  Carried it for deer hunting a few times and throwing in the back of the Ranger when out working on feeders, food-plots and trails.

Link Posted: 4/22/2017 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice is that a Win 94 TE? I have one of those in .357 love it
View Quote
It is an old school conversion (20 years or so back).  I lost the link, but the shop was no longer open anyway.

I traded for it about 4 years ago.  More reason to hate me... I think it was 3,000 rounds of .40 S&W factory ammo in a straight trade!
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Check Henry Rifles I believe they have an all weather model stainless model.  For $2,400 I get Freedom Arms 475 Linebaugh 7.5 inch handgun to chase pigs around in bushes.  $2,400 Marlin= MORON...
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow that's a good trade!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:37:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Check Henry Rifles I believe they have an all weather model stainless model.  For $2,400 I get Freedom Arms 475 Linebaugh 7.5 inch handgun to chase pigs around in bushes.  $2,400 Marlin= MORON...
View Quote
Until Henry adds side port loading they don't really count...
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one that Mr. Bowen stepped on quite a bit...I can dig it out and send pics if interested.

Not Laminated stock but barrel cut down, new sights, sling swivels and large loop.

It came back 2 weeks after the trip I needed it for.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I like my 1894 LTD in .44 mag. I have seen them sell in the 1200.00 range but it's been a while since I have looked.

Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been happy with my 1894 in 44 that I sent to Ranger Point Precision.  Had him install a custom 16" barrel with a 1-20 twist and thread it for my Silencerco Hybrid.  He did an action/trigger job on it.  I've only had it back for a few weeks so it has only been on a short range trip.  Been very happy with the work so far.  I'd definitely like to add a laminated stock to it, but I haven't started looking for one yet.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:14:19 PM EDT
[#11]
A couple years ago, I scored a Win 94 trapper in .44 large loop with box at a LGS, then a month or two later I came across a (JM) Marlin 1894P in .44 with the XS rail at another LGS!  Score!  Both were about $800 or $900ish.  Some of you all may say "that's a lot of money....."  but I frequent the LGS and had not seen any prior nor since.  I have not shot the Win but have taken the Marlin out on a couple of range trips, I love the Marlin!  I put the XS sights and added the Wild West happy trigger and the bear proof ejector.

I would like to get hands on the Taylor's Alaskan Takedown, if it is as nice as the good folks reviewing on youtube say it is, even at $1200 I may get one.

I Hope you find one!
D
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I have heard the new Marlins aren't as good as the older ones.

Any truth to this?
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#13]
whats wrong with Rossi, btw?
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 5:05:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nothing,

I have two (20" carbine and 24" rifle), both in 357mag and both with well over 4K rds through each.  Every rd a full power 158grn handload I loaded myself.  I slicked them up using Steve's DvD and parts and both are terrific guns, light, accurate with slick actions and decent triggers.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have heard the new Marlins aren't as good as the older ones.

Any truth to this?
View Quote
They had a rough couple of years when production moved from the actual Marlin plant into the Remlin facility.

I have an 1895GBL from that era that is great metalwork wise, but the factory stock fit wasn't great.  It took me about an hour to refit the stock properly.  It was worth the price to me... dealer knocked 100$ off due to the crappy stock fit.
They had issues with canted sights, mag tubes that were mounted funky, stock fit being laughable (i.e. gaps several mm wide), actions not feeding properly and I believe even a period where the dovetail mounting the magtube to the barrel left the barrel wall dangerously thin.  From what I've seen recently, they've addressed those issues, but they're still not as nice as the guns from the actual Marlin company.

I'd still suggest that JM marked Marlins are superior to todays Remlin guns, but the current production guns aren't bad.  I'd only buy if I could inspect prior to buying though... that's just me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 1:42:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
The only issues with the Rossi guns is the sometimes rough fit/finish.  If you're willing to polish it up and complete the build work the factory should have, they're a bargain.
I have two that have become great shooters after a few hours of work.

I have a personal dislike for the odd safety, but it's easy enough to remove and plug, or remove and replace with a peep sight. (hate the modern Marlin push safety as well... a lever guns safety is an empty chamber IMHO)
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#17]
safety on a lever action is a half cock.  
I like the henry's but they are just too damned heavy to be useful.  I'll probably get a rossi.

My dad has a 357 marlin from the 70s  Great gun.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 1:21:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A couple years ago, I scored a Win 94 trapper in .44 large loop with box at a LGS, then a month or two later I came across a (JM) Marlin 1894P in .44 with the XS rail at another LGS!  Score!  Both were about $800 or $900ish.  Some of you all may say "that's a lot of money....."  but I frequent the LGS and had not seen any prior nor since.  I have not shot the Win but have taken the Marlin out on a couple of range trips, I love the Marlin!  I put the XS sights and added the Wild West happy trigger and the bear proof ejector.

I would like to get hands on the Taylor's Alaskan Takedown, if it is as nice as the good folks reviewing on youtube say it is, even at $1200 I may get one.

I Hope you find one!
D
View Quote
I've got an 1894P in .44.  It's one of my favorite guns.  I paid $350 for it used less than 10 years ago.  I love to shoot that thing.  Blued finish and wood stocks means it's not exactly "all-weather", but I wouldn't hesitate to grab it for just about any shooting task.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've got an 1894P in .44.  It's one of my favorite guns.  I paid $350 for it used less than 10 years ago.  I love to shoot that thing.  Blued finish and wood stocks means it's not exactly "all-weather", but I wouldn't hesitate to grab it for just about any shooting task.
View Quote
Dang!  $350.00 is a sweet price!  I have shot Winchester white box and they feel like I am shooting a 12ga...  I too love mine!

D
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:59:26 PM EDT
[#20]
what about a Henry rifle ? they make a lever action carbine in .44 mag... i am looking at buying one myself... either that or in .357
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
what about a Henry rifle ? they make a lever action carbine in .44 mag... i am looking at buying one myself... either that or in .357
View Quote
I have a goldenboy.

they are well made but heavier than a dead priest.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#22]
If your going to drop that much go to this guy he did my friend guide gun in 45-70 and it is one slick beautifully lady.

Grizzly custom

1895 44mg
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:41:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I like my Rossi

I tuned up the action with the stevezdvd  https://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=2&zenid=lsr6iic6uf1vgkbdie9e2kpqf5

I can load it up with bunny fart handloads for the kids, or H-110 magnum loads

I've run the shit out of it, and never had any trouble.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top