Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2017 5:55:52 PM EDT
Picked this up a couple of weeks ago, been looking for a straight stocked 336 for a while.  I had a Texan for a very short period of time, but ended up giving it back to the original owner.  

This one is a Marlin 30TK, straight stock with 18.5" barrel and shortened magazine tube.  Best I can tell, they were sold through K-Mart from '89-'93, and only about 5600 were manufactured.  Serial number on this one indicates 1989, and is in really good condition.  Only real negative is the cross-bolt safety, but that's not too big of an issue.  

Can't wait to find a small compact scope and start working up a load, should make a great little hunting rifle!  

Link Posted: 2/3/2017 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet little rifle you got there. I have always had a soft spot for half magazine lever guns. If it were my gun, I would look for a compact fixed 3 or 4 power Weaver, or Leupold to put on it. Or if you want to go a little old school, you could put a receiver or tang mounted peep sight on it. That assumes your eyes aren't letting you down.
If you're not a reloader, take a look at the Hornady Leverevolution ammo. It gives you spitzer bullet performance and a RELATIVELY flat trajectory out around 200 yards or so. My older Win 94 likes the bullets a lot. You might also try the Oregon Trail "Lasercast" lead gas checked bullets if you do load your own ammo. Have not tried them in a Micro-groove barrel and have heard that the MG barrel sometimes does not play nice with cast lead bullets, even hard cast like the Lasercast bullets.
Let us know what you end up doing and post moar pics.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#2]
That is awesome!
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 10:30:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I like half mags, too. My Glenfield 30.

Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#4]
30TK's have kind of a cult following over at the Marlin Owners site.  Enough so that I've been keeping an eye open for one for awhile.  Short, handy and lightweight is what their fans say is so great about them.  Good find!
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Is that a 30-30?

Txl
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, its in .30-30.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I had one of those one time and have kicked myself in the butt ever since for selling it. I've never ran across another one. Great find!
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#8]
nice. If you want to render the cross bolt safety inoperable just remove the stock and tighten down the set screw by the safety until the safety doesn't move anymore.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
nice. If you want to render the cross bolt safety inoperable just remove the stock and tighten down the set screw by the safety until the safety doesn't move anymore.
View Quote

I put an O ring on it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I had one, found it at a Pawn Shop in Texas for cheap. But I also had about four other straight grip 30-30s at the time, so I let it go.  Cool little rifle though, I have a little 4x Sightron compact scope that I had planned to put on mine.

Another cool one is the Glenfield 30GT.  Straight grips rule!
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice find .
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 2:29:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I work with a guy that has one, last year he was willing to sell it to me but I drug my feet on other purchases.  Now he's getting ready to retire and says he doesn't want to sell it since he plans to get back into hunting.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 2:40:30 PM EDT
[#13]
beautiful, post some targets when you get familiar with it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I work with a guy that has one, last year he was willing to sell it to me but I drug my feet on other purchases.  Now he's getting ready to retire and says he doesn't want to sell it since he plans to get back into hunting.  Oh well.
View Quote
have you stopped kicking yourself yet?
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Saw one of these at the gun show yesterday.  Was marked $325, but had more surface rust and blemishes that I was willing to settle for.

Rob
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:20:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 8:02:35 PM EDT
[#17]
That's a slick little rifle. I like it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That's a slick little rifle. I like it.
View Quote

Its one of the better pointing rifles I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:20:48 PM EDT
[#19]
The 30 TK was my first lever gun I ever owned. It will be the last I ever part with also. For some reason they seem to be some of the more accurate Marlins.

I did eventually convert mine to a pistol grip, as I prefer it over the straight.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:28:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I did eventually convert mine to a pistol grip, as I prefer it over the straight.
View Quote

That's flat out sacrilege if you ask me!
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:48:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm with you 100%. The only pistol gripped levergun around here is the 1967 Model 39A that I inherited from my dad.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 8:20:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm with you 100%. The only pistol gripped levergun around here is the 1967 Model 39A that I inherited from my dad.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's any consolation to you guys, I still have the parts to convert it back.......you'd probably string me up if you knew what I did to .44 octagon Cowboy 94.....
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#23]
If it's any consolation to you guys, I still have the parts to convert it back......
View Quote

Let me know if you decide to get rid of the parts...
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:02:00 PM EDT
[#24]
It kind of makes me chuckle when I see all the newer designs for guns around and then just see the respect the winchester and Marlin lever guns get.

If you look at every detail there are many things a lever will not do as well as other designs but in the end the sum of all those details just winds up with something that just plain works.

I am mostly a winchester guy but I fully admit those straight stock short magazines look real good!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top