Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2016 3:25:07 PM EDT
Ok, hoping someone can help out here with a project. My boss is retiring the end of the year. In my 32 years, he's the best guy I've ever worked for. My crew wants to get him something special as a gift, and he saw a rifle that one of the guys owns(inherited from his father, so he ain't parting with it) and wants one really bad; a 336 in 44 mag. They made very few of them, I've only seen two, ever. Is it possible to build one from a 336 and parts?
I've searched Numerich, no barrels. I feel pretty certain if I could source a barrel and a mag tube the rest would be easy. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know about converting but there is one on Gunbroker right now that is at $690 with one day left to bid, it has a vintage Lyman scope on it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:07:56 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as he knows that are pretty rare to get one that functions well.

I was lusting after the same thing for a long time. I just could not find reviews that put it above "marginal" from anyone who didn't drop hundreds of dollars into them to get them to feed and cycle reliably.

Good luck. I hope you find the unicorn.

P.S. There is a reason Marlin dropped them and went with the 1894 in .44mag  
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Is he a gun guy and he knows the story about the 336 44 mag ? Or does he just want a 44 levergun and your friends 336 just looked like a cool gun in 44 mag to him ?

If he just wants a 44 levergun the 1894 is way better then the 336 from what I've read.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey guys, thanks for chiming in! I saw the one on gunbroker, and pondered it with my coworkers. That's still up in the air. We may just go the way of the 1894 as an easy alternative. I don't think he'd care either way. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a new manufacture 1894 that I bought myself last year for my 50th birthday, I had wanted one for years. It's great and everything I hoped it would be. It would make a fine gift.
Top Top