Link Posted: 9/26/2016 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been loading some 300 gr over 10-12 grains unique or 15gr trail boss

the problem I have run into is the stock sights don't have enough elevation
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lol! I had a thin recoil pad strapped over my shoulder, but it just spreads it around more than absorbing it.  I hurt for 2 days and had some slight bruising.  I don't bruise easily, so that actually was a big deal.  All 14 rounds were the Hornady ammo.  OUCH!  

The power of this beast is addicting, though.  I'm going to get a Lee Classic Loader and some bulk lead bullets and make a light load with less than 1/2 the energy of the LeverRevolution ammo.  That should take some of the punch out of it but still feel plenty powerful.

When I hunt with thing one day, the game will get the full whammy of it, though, with some hot ammo.
View Quote

Just so you're aware, the Lee Classic Loader is designed for jacketed bullets.  It doesn't flare the case neck.  You can buy an accessory from Lee to flare the necks.  You'll have a miserable time trying to load lead bullets without flared necks.  Have fun!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:05:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:10:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Lol! I had a thin recoil pad strapped over my shoulder, but it just spreads it around more than absorbing it.  I hurt for 2 days and had some slight bruising.  I don't bruise easily, so that actually was a big deal.  All 14 rounds were the Hornady ammo.  OUCH!  

The power of this beast is addicting, though.  I'm going to get a Lee Classic Loader and some bulk lead bullets and make a light load with less than 1/2 the energy of the LeverRevolution ammo.  That should take some of the punch out of it but still feel plenty powerful.

When I hunt with thing one day, the game will get the full whammy of it, though, with some hot ammo.
View Quote

I shoot the Hornady 325FTX out of my TC Encore ProHunter (it's lighter than the Marlin!) and don't think it kicks too bad at all. I don't quite understand all the fuss here over recoil - are you all so accustomed to 5.56 that any substantial round hurts? I've shot Dad's Marlin and it's not much different than my TC as far as recoil goes. I'd much rather shoot it (TC) than an 870 pump with 1oz CopperSolids.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#6]
The factory recoil pad on these isn't much more than a half inch or so of solid rubber. There really isn't much cushion.  I haven't shot mine yet, but it looks like you might feel it. I am not to recoil sensitive, I usually shoot Hornady Light Magnum ammo through my Colt Light Rifle 30-06 which tips the scales right under 7 lbs with scope and sling.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Nothing in Michigan is on clearance..Bummer
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The factory recoil pad on these isn't much more than a half inch or so of solid rubber. There really isn't much cushion.  I haven't shot mine yet, but it looks like you might feel it. I am not to recoil sensitive, I usually shoot Hornady Light Magnum ammo through my Colt Light Rifle 30-06 which tips the scales right under 7 lbs with scope and sling.
View Quote

I put a recoil pad on it. Made a big difference. That and ammo that isn't bear loads.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:32:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nothing in Michigan is on clearance..Bummer
View Quote

In the original thread, people had luck in GR.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:48:37 AM EDT
[#10]
No luck finding one here either.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No luck finding one here either.
View Quote

I checked one Walmart here today and they didnt have any. I am going out of town the next few days and will be hitting every location I see.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh I am so mad! I saw one of these in my local walmart last week but the price was over $500 so I didnt pay much attention. Walmart had no signs up or anything about a sale. I have been noticing this with alot of stores lately they put stuff on sale but dont actually change the price on the items. Then last night I found this thread. SO today between myself, brother and Dad we hit about  12 walmarts and I called another 15 or so. NO JOY!!!  Congratulation to the guys who did get one. It was a great deal!!!
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I shoot the Hornady 325FTX out of my TC Encore ProHunter (it's lighter than the Marlin!) and don't think it kicks too bad at all.  .
View Quote

I've been known to shoot it out of a 12" Contender. It's not fun. I wish IA allowed short barrel rifles, I'd register mine and put a stock on it.

ETA-my rebate check showed up the other day. Spent it on a pile of Winchester 12 gauge slugs at $3/box, with a $2/box rebate on them.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Dick's Sporting Goods has a sale in our area on 325g LeverRevolution ammo.  !8.99 per box.  At that price, I won't need to reload.  I picked up 40 rounds.  That's more than enough, considering that the first time out, I only shot 12 rounds before parking it.  This thing absolutely pounds you!  But what fun it is!
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Dick's Sporting Goods has a sale in our area on 325g LeverRevolution ammo.  !8.99 per box.  At that price, I won't need to reload.  I picked up 40 rounds.  That's more than enough, considering that the first time out, I only shot 12 rounds before parking it.  This thing absolutely pounds you!  But what fun it is!
View Quote

At that price, even I would buy some more, and I just sold off my LE brass cheap just to get rid of the non-standard length.

I assume the ! means $18.99-not bad at all considering the last box I bought was $32 and I thought that was reasonable.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

there is a couple youtube videos that show the lee loader and loading the 405gr cast, at least one uses a socket as a flare tool
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just so you're aware, the Lee Classic Loader is designed for jacketed bullets.  It doesn't flare the case neck.  You can buy an accessory from Lee to flare the necks.  You'll have a miserable time trying to load lead bullets without flared necks.  Have fun!

there is a couple youtube videos that show the lee loader and loading the 405gr cast, at least one uses a socket as a flare tool

Lyman makes what they call a "m" die that will bell the case mouth ,,just waht you want for lead loads like the 405 . Lyman sells the die seperate (midway or whatever) and includes it in some of their sets. Some other companys have something similar , usually marketed as "cowboy" style die sets . I feel heavy lead is all you need for 45/70 target or hunting . If you are doing only hogs and deer the cowboy type loads are plenty of power
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Lyman makes what they call a "m" die that will bell the case mouth ,,just waht you want for lead loads like the 405 . Lyman sells the die seperate (midway or whatever) and includes it in some of their sets. Some other companys have something similar , usually marketed as "cowboy" style die sets . I feel heavy lead is all you need for 45/70 target or hunting . If you are doing only hogs and deer the cowboy type loads are plenty of power
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Lee dies I have are just like their handgun dies and include a "powder through expander die". They work great with my homecast 405s.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top