BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All my Marlin/Glenfields are JM guns. How are these new Remlins looking?
View Quote

I own both in the exact same gun. a new one from yesterday and an older one. The wood matches better on my old one although the stock has nicer grain on the new one . The old one has a much smoother action than the new one . I hope it will break in with some use and oil . The trigger on the old gun is heavy but breaks clean., The new gun is heavier and has more creep . I will see how it shoots
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#2]
What's the Walmart item number for this rifle?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What's the Walmart item number for this rifle?
View Quote

I belive it's 3138484 based on a quick search...
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 1:55:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Got 2 of them. Always wanted a 45-70 for for the cost of 1, why not have 2?

Any tips/vids for smoothing out the action that you can do at home?
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My only complaint, sharp edges in the lever ring. I took some 600 grit wet sand paper and just broke all the edges of the ring. Little oxpho blue, looks good and doesn't try to cut me anymore!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
My only complaint, sharp edges in the lever ring. I took some 600 grit wet sand paper and just broke all the edges of the ring. Little oxpho blue, looks good and doesn't try to cut me anymore!

Mine is the same.  I was going to make a leather loop cover for it, but a slight edge break is probably the proper solution.  
Quoted:

I spent a half hour cycling it over and over in front of the TV.  I plan to clean it, then keep cycling until it smooths up on its own.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#6]

INSERT QUOTE TEXT

Mine is the same.  I was going to make a leather loop cover for it, but a slight edge break is probably the proper solution.  
I spent a half hour cycling it over and over in front of the TV.  I plan to clean it, then keep cycling until it smooths up on its own.
View All Quotes
INSERT QUOTE TEXT

Quoted:

Quoted:

My loop was still a little hard on my knuckles so I wrapped it in gutted 350(not 550) paracord, it's tacticool now!! I also installed my Williams peeps today, I'll be shooting it for the first time in the morning

I used the below link as my " how to" for the wrap. I used gutted 350 cord so I could go all the way around the loop...I don't think there is enough room to do so and still lock up the bolt using 550...

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522853

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Forgot to mention. About the ruff cycling. On my bolt, the ejector groove was heavily burred... I stoned the slot with an extra fine stone then polished the bolt lightly with 600gr wetted with CLP. lubbed it up, MUCH better, cycles smoothly now but still a bit stiff once you start cocking the hammer... probably due to a heavy hammer spring.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
  My loop was still a little hard on my knuckles so I wrapped it in gutted 350(not 550) paracord, it's tacticool now!! I also installed my Williams peeps today, I'll be shooting it for the first time in the morning

I used the below link as my " how to" for the wrap. I used gutted 350 cord so I could go all the way around the loop...I don't think there is enough room to do so and still lock up the bolt using 550...

<a href="http://s245.photobucket.com/user/shultz39/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160831_162956_zpshpukcrfe.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg58/shultz39/Mobile%20Uploads/20160831_162956_zpshpukcrfe.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:

INSERT QUOTE TEXT
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://s245.photobucket.com/user/shultz39/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160831_162956_zpshpukcrfe.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg58/shultz39/Mobile%20Uploads/20160831_162956_zpshpukcrfe.jpg</a>

Looks good! I worked the action for a bit and can definitely tell a difference. The main hangup when closing it seems to be the little bump on the bottom of the bolt contacting the top of the  hammer. I think ill get some emery cloth or real fine sand paper to smooth the top of the hammer out more where it is already wearing.

Now I just need a cuff for the but to hold reloads and a nice leather sling.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 6:37:05 AM EDT
[#9]
My Walmart was sold out of the 45-70's, all they had left was a $99 17HMR bull barrel.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My Walmart was sold out of the 45-70's, all they had left was a $99 17HMR bull barrel.
View Quote

I've yet to find a bull barreled 17HMR. Only the pencil barreled bmag.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I called about 10 wally's this morning trying to find one --- no dice
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I picked a Marlin 1895 today at my local Walmart last one they had, It seems that they have a bunch of different guns in the back that they can't display so they are trying to make room by fire selling these. The assistant manager was talking about $50 22 calibers in the back room. I didn't ask for more details as one gun was all I could get that day.
View Quote

I haven't seen it discussed much (or really at all, compared to the Marlin/RAR sales) but in addition to the Marlin 1895, I picked up a Mossberg 702 Plinkster .22lr on closeout for $54.00.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 10:28:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I took my 1895 out today and put about 14 rounds through it.  WOW! This thing is a sledge hammer!  What a blast to shoot, but man, it whacks you good!  I was shooting Hornady LeverRevolution 325 grain ammo and it blew a cinder block into oblivion in one shot.   This thing is fun, but ammo is expensive.  Fortunately, my shoulder says it's had enough after about 10 rounds, so that eases the pain on my wallet.

I'm glad I bought this thing.  It is big fun.  I'd love to take a hog or a bear with it one day.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 10:53:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Just mounted my new Weaver Classic V 1-3x20 scope on my 1895 this morning. Need to pick up ammo and/or reloading stuff before I can put it through its paces.

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#15]
just ordered $120 worth of reloading/casting stuff from Midwayusa for mine...
cheap gun is getting spendy quick!
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

just ordered $120 worth of reloading/casting stuff from Midwayusa for mine...

cheap gun is getting spendy quick!
View Quote

When ammo is $25-$40(or more) a box of 20 that initial cost is minimal unless you never shoot the ammo you buy...

I'm loading 405's for about 17 per round, casting my own and loading with unique for range fun loads. I shot some more today, at 50yds I had 3 shots touching. I moved out to 100 and shot two, 5 shot groups that were 2". This is using peep sights and my old arse eye's I shot another 20 or so shooting stuff other people left behind, small propane bottles and fire extinguishers mostly, if I missed,it was not by much and all my fault

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Just mounted my new Weaver Classic V 1-3x20 scope on my 1895 this morning. Need to pick up ammo and/or reloading stuff before I can put it through its paces.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd90/msuce99/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG1108426882.jpg
View Quote

I have a 1x3 Leopold sitting in the safe for this one since my other one has a Lyman peep sight
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#18]
After a handful of days, quite a few phone calls, several store visits and some headache, I joined the club today!

Just starting to look into ammo for it. Being in NY, I cannot mail order (unless shipped to an ffl and mist want to charge crazy fees) so I'm starting to look into reloading as well.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
After a handful of days, quite a few phone calls, several store visits and some headache, I joined the club today!

Just starting to look into ammo for it. Being in NY, I cannot mail order (unless shipped to an ffl and mist want to charge crazy fees) so I'm starting to look into reloading as well.
View Quote

45-70 is easy to load for
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 9:53:08 PM EDT
[#20]
What's a typical plinking load for these? What grain bullet and powder?

And what grain bullet for hunting? I may buy some Hornady bullets for it
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd90/msuce99/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG1108426882.jpg
View Quote

that scope looks like it wants to kiss your brow
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 10:47:17 PM EDT
[#22]
No Henry?
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 11:33:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It'll make for an interesting scar.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

s.

Well at the rate things are going, it'll be 6 months before I can afford to buy ammo to shoot anyways.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 8:39:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Well, after having the gun apart about 10 times I've finally got the action butter smooth. It took a lot of work and patience, there are a lot of rough surfaces and poor machining that needed cleaning up. After all of that it's still not as smooth as my old Marlin 336 but that one's 40 years old with lots of cycling.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#26]
negligent double tap
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well, after having the gun apart about 10 times I've finally got the action butter smooth. It took a lot of work and patience, there are a lot of rough surfaces and poor machining that needed cleaning up. After all of that it's still not as smooth as my old Marlin 336 but that one's 40 years old with lots of cycling.
View Quote

I watched a tutorial on polishing these up. Mine could certainly be smoother
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#28]
you have a link?

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/10/2016 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
you have a link?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
you have a link?

Quoted:

Can not find it on you tube now, but when I find it again I will post it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
you have a link?

Quoted:

Is it with the guy that sounds British?

Link Posted: 9/11/2016 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
you have a link?

Quoted:

I think I just found that same video. It was pretty good and at the end he says he is from Australia.

Link Posted: 9/11/2016 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#32]
That's it
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#33]
They say on the marlin forum that the limbsaver 10102 is a decent fit for a replacement recoil pad on this. I'm strongly considering one of these.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#34]
thanks for posting the videos.

I'll watch them later.  Hoping to find out why I can barely feed ammo into the tube.  When I do get a round into the tube, I usually get my finger bit.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 10:35:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'll watch them later.  Hoping to find out why I can barely feed ammo into the tube.  When I do get a round into the tube, I usually get my finger bit.
View Quote

Me, too. My thumb may be too fat.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 10:40:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I watched another video recently where they inserted the round most of the way but didn't let the rim go in. The next round pushed the first one in all the way. Repeat until loaded and be careful on the last round.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 10:44:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I watched another video recently where they inserted the round most of the way but didn't let the rim go in. The next round pushed the first one in all the way. Repeat until loaded and be careful on the last round.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It kinda made me nervous pushing on the primers when I shot this week
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 12:20:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the technique I typically used
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 6:19:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is mainly due to poor metal work, everything is sharp and the loading port is too small internally. I added a lot more of a chamfer inside the port so that it's the same size as the rim. As it is now it's only big enough for the tip but when you try to push it all the way in the rim catches on the sharp edge. Also the loading gate was way to stiff on mine along with a lot of sharp edges.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This is mainly due to poor metal work, everything is sharp and the loading port is too small internally. I added a lot more of a chamfer inside the port so that it's the same size as the rim. As it is now it's only big enough for the tip but when you try to push it all the way in the rim catches on the sharp edge. Also the loading gate was way to stiff on mine along with a lot of sharp edges.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The metal is certainly sharp, but I was impressed with the external finish machining.  The wood to metal fitment also exceeded my expectations.  Its a very sharp looking piece, and unfortunately it feels likewise.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Very long thread with hardly any pictures of these mysterious 45/70's Keep hearing I bought 2
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 11:17:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Note that the gun in the video is stainless.  You can't really break all those edges on a blued gun without a major finish problem.  Should be OK for the internal parts, but do be sure to reblue to protect the metal.

I did NOT manage to find one of these cheap at Walmart.  But I went ahead and ordered one of the Guide Gun GBL models (18.5" w/ full length magazine, big loop lever and laminated stocks).

Rob
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 7:44:24 AM EDT
[#43]
I picked up (since I don't reload yet) six starline brass dummy rounds. And loaded and cycled them a whole lot of times. In addition to just working the lever. The loading gate for me was two parts. One, it was stiff, and two, I sucked at reloading it. Now both are smooth and no more pinching. This is with a Remlin CB. I just wanted to see if I could get it smooth without tearing it apart since I needed to see wear on the inside before I did lots of guess work. But now I have no reason to pull it apart.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 7:59:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Very long thread with hardly any pictures of these mysterious 45/70's Keep hearing I bought 2
View Quote

They all look the same anyhow.

I have target sights on the way, I'll update when I get them mounted.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 11:13:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I picked up (since I don't reload yet) six starline brass dummy rounds. And loaded and cycled them a whole lot of times. In addition to just working the lever. The loading gate for me was two parts. One, it was stiff, and two, I sucked at reloading it. Now both are smooth and no more pinching. This is with a Remlin CB. I just wanted to see if I could get it smooth without tearing it apart since I needed to see wear on the inside before I did lots of guess work. But now I have no reason to pull it apart.
View Quote

Where'd you get the dummy rounds? Local gun shop sell them? I don't have any dies or a single stage currently set up, would be nice to have 3-4 full weight dummy rounds to function check with!
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 9:54:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well after hearing y'all talk about scope dings and recoil, I took the Weaver 1-3 scope off, turned the rail around, and put a Leopold 2.5 FX-II Ultralight on my 1895.

Also added a safety delete and an old leather sling. I like it.

Now all it needs is the barrel cut to 18.5", recrowned, and drilled/tapped for the front sight, and a large lever loop.

And maybe a leather buttstock ammo cuff and a lever wrap, sometime in the future.

Link Posted: 9/14/2016 10:34:33 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm really thinking about chopping mine down and adding the big loop lever. Putting some hi viz sights and a peep sight on it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I took my 1895 out today and put about 14 rounds through it.  WOW! This thing is a sledge hammer!  What a blast to shoot, but man, it whacks you good!  I was shooting Hornady LeverRevolution 325 grain ammo and it blew a cinder block into oblivion in one shot.   This thing is fun, but ammo is expensive.  Fortunately, my shoulder says it's had enough after about 10 rounds, so that eases the pain on my wallet.

I'm glad I bought this thing.  It is big fun.  I'd love to take a hog or a bear with it one day.
View Quote

Wow... With that ammo how did you shoot 14 rounds. Hope you had a LimbSaver on that sucker. The first day out with my $299 wallygun, used the same ammo as you, no LimbSaver, too much anticipation of recoil, coffee can on post at 60 yards, missed.
Shoulder says "Oh hell, I felt that".
Second shot, relax, pull stock into shoulder, aim carefully, squeeze trigger. BOOM!! Coffee can goes flying up in the air!
Shoulder says"OH BLOODY HELL MAN, THAT'S ENOUGH. GET SOME FREAKING RECOIL PADDING!!

Hornady LeverEvolution 325 gr FTX kicks like three mules. But Winchester 300 gr JHP is a much lighter kick.

Oh.... Hey guy's, by the way... I got one too, in Clifton Park NY
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:58:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Lol! I had a thin recoil pad strapped over my shoulder, but it just spreads it around more than absorbing it.  I hurt for 2 days and had some slight bruising.  I don't bruise easily, so that actually was a big deal.  All 14 rounds were the Hornady ammo.  OUCH!  

The power of this beast is addicting, though.  I'm going to get a Lee Classic Loader and some bulk lead bullets and make a light load with less than 1/2 the energy of the LeverRevolution ammo.  That should take some of the punch out of it but still feel plenty powerful.

When I hunt with thing one day, the game will get the full whammy of it, though, with some hot ammo.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#50]
You guys are going to cause me not to be able to afford school aren't you?
Walmart seems to be getting some good gun deals lately. I really want try that hatfield single shot shotgun.

I wonder how one of these suppressed would be!?!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top