Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2016 3:25:18 PM EDT
I have a few .44 Mag handguns (well at least I did before the boating accident) so I am familiar with various levels of 44 mag recoil in a 4" 629, 10" Contender, and 5" Super Blackhawk.

What I would like to know is, what is the recoil comparable to of a stiff hunting load (near max H110 under a 240 XTP) in these lever guns? I know the Rossie is a lot lighter than the Big Boy Henry but I am just trying to get an idea.

For example, is it like a Rem 700 Mountain gun in 30-06? A BDL in 308? 12 ga Beretta 686 shooting high brass #6? 2 3/4" 12 ga slug in a BPS?
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Not as hard as 30-06 , .308 or 7mm
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 4:00:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Had a Win 94 in 45 Colt.  Ruger only loads were not very pleasant.  Not something you would spend the afternoon shooting.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I wear a "sissy pad" pinned to my shirt when I shoot my 20" Rossi at the range, but for hunting I wouldn't.

(I'm pretty bony)
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 8:01:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Guess it depends on what you are used to; there is a little I suppose. Certainly lighter than an 06.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guess it depends on what you are used to; there is a little I suppose. Certainly lighter than an 06.
View Quote

I've seen it described as "about like a 20 gauge shotgun."

I guess it is.

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#6]
A 20 gauge shotgun is a good description, it's more of a shove than a punch. This is from my Marlin 1894 with pretty strong 240 grain XTP loads.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I fired 100 factory rounds today and around 30 hand loads.

20inch Rossi

I'm pretty padded though recoil not bad less than .308
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Had a Win 94 in 45 Colt.  Ruger only loads were not very pleasant.  Not something you would spend the afternoon shooting.
View Quote

I sbr'ed a .45Colt Rossi Ranch Hand and was rather surprised at the amount of recoil it had even with more standard loads.

I didn't expect it to disappear completely but it was more than I did expect. I won't be loading it hot that's for sure. I've got real rifles for that.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A 20 gauge shotgun is a good description, it's more of a shove than a punch. This is from my Marlin 1894 with pretty strong 240 grain XTP loads.
View Quote

Out of my Redhawk, those leverlution rounds are brutal, compared to even a 305grn .44 magnum.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I shoot some max load of h110 with 200 and 240 xtp.  On my 16 inch Rossi the steel butt plate and light weight makes recoil significant.  I've shot a box of 50 in a single outing and had bruising on my shoulder.  Big boy  and Marlins are much heavier than the tiny Rossi and both soak up the recoil.  

the Rossi recoil is bad enough I only shoot magnum ammo for hunting, otherwise it's threaded and only shoots subsonic anmo.  If you're getting the Rossi for anything other than hunting I would recommend the heavier octagon barrel if you want to shoot heavy ammo all the time.  The big boy is a poor choice for hunting - too heavy and you'll be afraid of scratching it.  Steel big boy is nice, about the same weight as a Marlin.  My new marlin (made 2015) is my favorite 44 rifle.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I would rate it somewhere between 12ga. Birdshot and a High-Brass load depending on the 44mag loading.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I have shot 12 gauge in trap shoots for years in just a t-shirt.  I can't imagine a pistol caliber rifle that would hurt anyone but an unconditioned female shooter.  In fact, I know a female shooter that would laugh at this thread.  

(I also shoot 3.5" duck loads in a t-shirt)
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 11:51:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have shot 12 gauge in trap shoots for years in just a t-shirt.  I can't imagine a pistol caliber rifle that would hurt anyone but an unconditioned female shooter.  In fact, I know a female shooter that would laugh at this thread.    

(I also shoot 3.5" duck loads in a t-shirt)
View Quote

Most people i shoot with are cool with just about everything common caliber wise.  Only when you get up to .300 win mag and higher do people start to complain about recoil.

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 7:04:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Recoil is noticeable with the 20" Rossi carbine in 44 Magnum.   Not really bad.   The butt seems to be the problem for me.   The Marlin 20" doesnt bother me at all.   My 24" octagon 44 Magnum Cowboy is comfortable with the heaviest loads.  It comes down to stock fit.

I shoot 200 gr lead bullets for practice at around 1300 fps.   Cheaper and puts less wear on everything.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 7:45:17 AM EDT
[#15]
A friend of mine has a 44 Mag Winchester 94 16" Trapper, nobody (him included) really likes shooting it more than 5-6 rounds in a row (magnum loads, he hasn't tried specials). I was really surprised by the recoil actually, but of course the hard plastic butt plate doesn't help anything! It really needs a Hogue type pad on the back

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 8:25:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Recoil is noticeable with the 20" Rossi carbine in 44 Magnum.   Not really bad.   The butt seems to be the problem for me.   The Marlin 20" doesn't bother me at all.   My 24" octagon 44 Magnum Cowboy is comfortable with the heaviest loads.  It comes down to stock fit.

I shoot 200 gr lead bullets for practice at around 1300 fps.   Cheaper and puts less wear on everything.
View Quote

Yes,this. Heavy 44mag loads out of a carbine or rifle barrel do develop a fair amount of power . I also have a Marlin cowboy with the longer heavy barrel . It has a pretty surprising push with full loads . Stock fit can make a difference. I am careful not to let smaller folks and newbies shoot it from the bench until they take a couple of shots offhand.
I imagine some of the lighter carbines with the sharp metal butplate could wake you up.

Like all things 44mag , a reload with a 240 gr bullet that you back down to maybe 1050 or 1100fps in a pistol and say 1400 or 1500 in a rifle is going to smooth out the experience a whole lot.

Even when I want all available power I get little joy shooting factory 44 mag loads out of anything because I am a cheap old bastard who bought lots of components years ago and can whip up reloads at a fraction of the factory stuff.

Bottom line to answer the OPs question is don't let the question of recoil slow your purchase of a 44 carbine/rifle . there are all sorts of lower recoil ammo types out there and the big bore rifles are just too much fun .

If ammo cost is a big consideration get to reloading or buy a 357/38 first but you do want a 44 lever.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#17]
full load H110 44mag with 240gn out of my 1894 shoots pretty mild for me.  Doesn't kick as much as a 30-06, id say similar to 30-30
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow what a varied group of answers. I guess I should clarify for some.

I am not bothered by any rifle recoil UP TO the 30-06 Mountain rifle. That is where I draw the line at tolerable plinking recoil. I shoot my Garands 50 rounds without thinking twice (much heavier and semi-auto). 308 recoil is negligible in my BDL.

I have long been considering a lever action in 357 or 44 mag. I would probably use it to deer hunt some but it would mainly be a toy for the range and farm. I reload 38, 357, and 44 mag already so that is not a factor. With that in mind, I have always thought a 357 would be the better choice but prefer the possibilities 44 mag gives for hunting. I guess I am just trying to find something to tip the scales one way or the other. If the 44 is bothersome to shoot 50 rounds through in a session, I suppose that would push me over the edge for the 357.

I have never shot either in a lever gun.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 1:02:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I am not bothered by any rifle recoil UP TO the 30-06 Mountain rifle. That is where I draw the line at tolerable plinking recoil. I shoot my Garands 50 rounds without thinking twice (much heavier and semi-auto). 308 recoil is negligible in my BDL.

I have long been considering a lever action in 357 or 44 mag. I would probably use it to deer hunt some but it would mainly be a toy for the range and farm. I reload 38, 357, and 44 mag already so that is not a factor. With that in mind, I have always thought a 357 would be the better choice but prefer the possibilities 44 mag gives for hunting. I guess I am just trying to find something to tip the scales one way or the other. If the 44 is bothersome to shoot 50 rounds through in a session, I suppose that would push me over the edge for the 357.

View Quote

If you shoot 50 rounds out of your garand with no problem, then 44mag rifle will not be an issue for you.

I do like to load up some medium reloads and plink with them, my wife and others like it better.  Then switch up to a full load of H110 during hunting season.  44 caliber has a lot of options to load up.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
it would mainly be a toy for the range and farm. I reload 38, 357, and 44 mag already so that is not a factor.
View Quote

Max load of h110 is not plinking ammo.  Factory 44mag and especially any 44spl ammo is very pleasant to shoot in any rifle.  

For a toy I would get the 357 if you shoot a lot - 38spl ammo is under $20 a box, No reloading needed.  Silences better too.
If you don't shoot much go 44 - you'll have to reload all your ammo to come close to the cost of buying 38spl though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 8:01:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
You will be fine.

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 8:07:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I wear a "sissy pad" pinned to my shirt when I shoot my 20" Rossi at the range, but for hunting I wouldn't.

(I'm pretty bony)
View Quote

Yeah I got a pad when I came home visibly bruised. This was with my b92 (steel butt plate). It isn't that much recoil as in muzzle flip etc.., more just of a short sharp shock.

I'm not as bony these days though.

With a pad it is comfortable for me to shoot all day. I don't like how it looks though and take it off to make sure the butt plate doesn't rust.

" />
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 8:20:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:25:47 AM EDT
[#24]
My 1894 limited came with a Pachmayr Decelerator installed if that's any indicator.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 11:55:06 AM EDT
[#25]
My Marlin 1894 is an older model with a hard plastic buttplate and it can get uncomfortable after a few shots. The recoil isn't that bad but the hard plastic on my bony shoulder gets me. With a pad it would be fine for a while.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Well this hasn't helped me decide.
Since I reload for either, I don't think there would be any accuracy advantage in either caliber.
Since I would likely deer hunt with it some, I suppose I will go with 44 mag (unless I find a super deal on a 357). I know how a 44 mag hammers a deer at 75 yards.
Probably get an older Marlin or new all blue Henry then.

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well this hasn't helped me decide.
Since I reload for either, I don't think there would be any accuracy advantage in either caliber.
Since I would likely deer hunt with it some, I suppose I will go with 44 mag (unless I find a super deal on a 357). I know how a 44 mag hammers a deer at 75 yards.
Probably get an older Marlin or new all blue Henry then.

Thanks for the input.
View Quote

Look at Browning B92 too - all the quality of the new Win. without the lawyer BS (rebounding hammer, safety)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top