Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2016 4:20:59 PM EDT
I put some XS sights on my Marlin 336BL and it is shooting about 2.25" high at 13 yds. That's the furthest I was able to shoot until I can get to an outdoor range. Can anyone tell me where it will hit at 25 yds?

18.5" barrel
Remington Core-Lokt 150 gr
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 4:47:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Based on my calculations....

That arc is ridiculously steep. If you're hitting 2.25" high at 13 yards, that's like a 2-yard zero. It won't go back to zero until around 400 yards. At 25 yards that round will hit almost 6" high.

For a 100 yard zero (just suggesting one) you need to be hitting under a quarter inch low at 10 yards. That will get you close, but not dead on for a 100 yard zero because there is still too much variation.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 5:48:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That arc is ridiculously steep. If you're hitting 2.25" high at 13 yards, that's like a 2-yard zero. It won't go back to zero until around 400 yards. At 25 yards that round will hit almost 6" high.

For a 100 yard zero (just suggesting one) you need to be hitting under a quarter inch low at 10 yards. That will get you close, but not dead on for a 100 yard zero because there is still too much variation.
View Quote

That's what I was afraid of. What's odd is these sights are specifically for the 336, although probably for the 20" barrel. Would that make a difference?
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:24:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Hold on... Info needed:

Projectile weight
Velocity at muzzle
Hight of sights above the bore
Rough idea of projectile BC--- most calculators already have built in.

Take those numbers and plug into darn near any reasonable online ballistics calculator and you will have good info.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 6:22:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's what I was afraid of. What's odd is these sights are specifically for the 336, although probably for the 20" barrel. Would that make a difference?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A longer barrel will have a shorter front sight because the barrel itself makes up some of that height for the same angle. So yes, the wrong sights would be a major contributor to the angle. You need a taller front sight or a shorter rear sight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top