Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2016 1:50:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I got my last one, a 44 Magnum, at Kygunco. Super price and they ship free. Same goes for Buds Gun Shop.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 11:26:30 PM EDT
[#2]
taylor & co is good
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#3]
If you happen to be in the D/FW metroplex, you could save yourself a few dollars.  I won't link to it as it's probably against the rules but there is a Uberti 1873 .45 LC listed on Texas Gun Trader out of Fort Worth for $850.  When I've seen them at Cabella's (the one in Allen Tx has/had some) they are generally a couple hundred or more above that.

Earl
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Buds has always been good to me
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/36_1042/Uberti/
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 3:12:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought my Cimarron Uberti 1873 Sporting Rifle from Buffalo Arms in ID a few weeks ago. It took one week to get to my FFL in PA.

It's in .44-40, btw.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Dave, that's a handsome gun, I like the longer rifles over the carbines in almost every type of lever gun.
That's easy to say when your just packing the gun 10 feet from the truck to the table.

Is that a 26" barrel?
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 10:05:30 PM EDT
[#7]
The barrel is 24.25". Interestingly, Uberti advertises it with a capacity of 13 + 1. However, it actually holds 14 + 1, which is the same as Winchester originally advertised.

I'm taking it out again tomorrow and will try it with handloads of a 200 grain RNFP on top of 35 grains of Swiss 3Fg, in one batch, and 35 grains of Goex 3Fg in another batch of ammo.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 1:13:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The barrel is 24.25". Interestingly, Uberti advertises it with a capacity of 13 + 1. However, it actually holds 14 + 1, which is the same as Winchester originally advertised.

I'm taking it out again tomorrow and will try it with handloads of a 200 grain RNFP on top of 35 grains of Swiss 3Fg, in one batch, and 35 grains of Goex 3Fg in another batch of ammo.
View Quote

Does yours have  buckhorn or ladder sights? I recently got an 1866 Sporting Rifle with the ladder sight in 44-40 and hAve been having alot of fun shooting it out as far as a little over 300 yds. Once I got the sights regulated it's just a matter of setting them for the desired range and firing away!

A couple of goods loads are 2.2cc of Swiss 3Fg or 9.5 grs. of Unique.  I'm casting a 220 gr. RNFP and either load runs a little over 1300 fps and both are very accurate.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine has the buckhorn sight, which while authentic I don't really care for. I want to modify it or replace it with a flat topped rear sight, possibly a ladder type. I'm also looking into replacing the front sight with a bead that would be more visible in the woods, because I'd like to take it deer hunting.

Last night I loaded up 50 rounds of .44 WCF with 2.2cc of Goex 3Fg. The previous night I'd loaded 50 with 35 grains by volume of Swiss 3Fg. (2.2cc is about 35 grains by volume of BP. It's a lot faster to scoop the powder out of a bowl using a 2.2cc Lee dipper than by pouring each charge into a measure.)

The bullets are 200 grain RNFP from cowboybullets.com, from a 100 round sample pack (they actually sent me 105). I'm hoping they carry enough lube to prevent fouling out towards the muzzle.

BTW, where did you get the load data for Unique? That seems to be a little warmer than current data that I've been able to find.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 9:10:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Data for the 44-40 varies alot. My '70's vintage Lyman manual listed 11.0 grs of Unique as a max! I researched Loaddata.com and started with 9.0 grs. and found 9.5 to be an excellent load. I used to know how many rounds of this load I've fired based on how many bullets I've cast, but have lost track. It's certainly well north of 500 by now.

Swiss BP in my very limited experience is really high quality powder, especially vs. GOEX. Using bets such as those you bought you I've had no problem shooting 2 or 3 dozen rounds without loss of accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 5:36:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the Unique data.

I just got back from my friend's place where I put 50 rounds of .44 WCF loaded with Swiss 3Fg and 10 rounds loaded with Goex 3Fg through the rifle. The bullets I used do not carry enough lube, at least for a 24" barrel, or cowboybullets.com's lube isn't good enough. I got a bad ring of crud for a few inches back from the muzzle. Accuracy went to hell after about 15 rounds. Shooting the rounds with Swiss powder and Goex side by side reinforced how much better the Swiss is. It fouled noticeably less, and judging by the recoil and boom, was a more powerful load.

I have an original Winchester mold and tong-type loading tool on the way, that I got off eBay. We'll see how bullets cast in that mold do.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Did you mix the two brands of BP when you were shooting? The GOEX I have is FILTHY, and even using large lube groove bullets lubed with SPG, they'll foul out my 24" barrel in just a few rounds.
If you haven't already, shoot the Swiss alone. I bought some of the Cowboy bullets for my 38-40, while I w as waiting for a mould, and they seem to be good bullets with plenty of lube.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:52:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I first shot the rounds loaded with Swiss, then swabbed the bore, then shot the rounds loaded with Goex. I agree it's filthy. I first noticed how much better and cleaner the Swiss is several years ago when shooting my percussion revolvers. Today's outing reinforced my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I ended up ordering from Buffalo Arms as they were the only ones that had the rifle I wanted in stock... thanks guys!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:41:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ended up ordering from Buffalo Arms as they were the only ones that had the rifle I wanted in stock... thanks guys!
View Quote

pics man where are the pics
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top