Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2016 11:57:06 AM EDT
I attempted to use my 336y as a truck gun, but after 2 weeks, it came out with surface rust over much of its surface.  I cleaned it up, but have been hesitant about taking it back to my truck.  What should I be doing to prevent a reoccurrence?  I had a light layer of oil on it, but don't want it be a greasy mess when I need to use it.  Would a gun sock be helpful?
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#1]
gun socks do wonders.. as is a very light coating of RIG
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Coat it or treat it
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#3]
just checked you avatar.. FL.. COAT IT
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Get it coated when/if you can, until then use the product that came out on top in this gentleman's rather extensive testing.
tl:dr - Eezox
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Who does RIG coating on rifles?  Has anyone here ever done it on a lever action?
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 3:09:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who does RIG coating on rifles?  Has anyone here ever done it on a lever action?
View Quote

its gun grease.. you put it on real light it . Easy to remove, and cuts down rust significantly.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0033CMK0A/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687442&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00481HPMI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1M3SM9TX5346W04ZQ1TN
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Take off wood and cover everything with G96 Gun  Treatment and let it dry on metal.
like WD40 but does not dry out and leave unprotected spots as film pulls apart.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 4:42:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Take off wood and cover everything with G96 Gun  Treatment and let it dry on metal.
like WD40 but does not dry out and leave unprotected spots as film pulls apart.
View Quote

I have a can of this.  I'll try it tonight, and team it up with a gun sock.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 9:06:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been down this road before, Eezox is what you seek.

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Is the 336Y blued?

I'm thinking about throwing either my stainless guide gun or Rossi 454 (when I get it) in my trunk.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 11:20:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Birchwood Casey Barricade and a gun sock has been working pretty good for me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 11:59:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I like Hoppes Gun Grease.  It keeps surface off my 870 express and its crappy ass finish.  

Damn thing was rusting in a gun safe with a goldenrod and a dehumidifier in the room.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is the 336Y blued?

I'm thinking about throwing either my stainless guide gun or Rossi 454 (when I get it) in my trunk.
View Quote

Parkerized
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Parkerized
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is the 336Y blued?

Parkerized

Spray paint then clear coat
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I kept an SKS in the tool box in the back of my truck in Florida for years, and had the same issues....it gets hot as hell in the summer and the oil runs off, then it rusts. After trying 10 kinds of oil the solution that worked was a light coating of Vaseline. It's cheap, if works great, it stays put...and we KNOW you already have some. :-)
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I kept an SKS in the tool box in the back of my truck in Florida for years, and had the same issues....it gets hot as hell in the summer and the oil runs off, then it rusts. After trying 10 kinds of oil the solution that worked was a light coating of Vaseline. It's cheap, if works great, it stays put...and we KNOW you already have some. :-)
View Quote

I think I'm going to switch to a cheap AR then.  Those things don't ever need lube.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Kind of icky to handle it though?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:47:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Barricade from Birchwood Casey.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:09:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Not mentioned is something salt water duck hunters do to protect their shotguns...WAX.

Go to most any hardware store or many Walmart's and buy a big yellow can of Johnson's Paste Wax.
Do NOT use car wax.  It's not suitable for this purpose.

Apply a fairly heavy coat of Johnson's and warm up with a hair dryer until it melts.
Allow to dry 30 minutes to harden.
Don't wipe it off, leave the film in place and store in the vehicle.

The wax very thoroughly seals the metal and even the wood, and repels moisture.
It works even better on a parkerized rough finish.
It's not greasy or sticky.

Note: Don't use a heat gun or especially a torch.....wax ignites if near a flame when it's not dried.
I found that i can get wax into even hidden ares if I use a soft toothbrush to apply and work it in.

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 11:41:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Not gooey at all, actually. You put some Vaseline on a rag and rub a thin coat on just like gun oil. It works like gun oil only it doesn't run off.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 3:24:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Not mentioned is something salt water duck hunters do to protect their shotguns...WAX.

Go to most any hardware store or many Walmart's and buy a big yellow can of Johnson's Paste Wax.

Apply a fairly heavy coat of Johnson's and warm up with a hair dryer until it melts.
Allow to dry 30 minutes to harden.
Don't wipe it off, leave the film in place and store in the vehicle.

The wax very thoroughly seals the metal and even the wood, and repels moisture.
It works even better on a parkerized rough finish.
It's not greasy or sticky.

Note: Don't use a heat gun or especially a torch.....wax ignites if near a flame when it's not dried.
I found that i can get wax into even hidden ares if I use a soft toothbrush to apply and work it in.

View Quote

I use wax on all my blued hunting firearms.  Never had any rust problems.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Parkerized
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is the 336Y blued?

Parkerized

The guy I work for does a 2 layer coating process sometimes for customers with a base of parkerizing with a top coat of the baked on Brownells moly coat . It does not eliminate it but does make a fairly tough finish . I have had him do 2 guns for me . Also Boesheild T-9 is a great corrosion resistant spray on lube product . I have friends with boats who swear by it .
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:10:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Years ago Gun Test magazine performed an extensive test on rust preventatives for firearms; salt spray, etc. Long story short, Hoppe's Gun Grease won hands down. However, practically as good and running a very close 2nd place was ordinary Vaseline. That said, I know a gunsmith who hates Break Free CLP because it's so damned difficult to remove from metal prior to bluing.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why not car wax?  I've been using TurtleWax for this for years with good results.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:17:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Rust-Oleum paint worked great for the truck guns for me. If you are using it for a truck gun it is now a working tool.  One 16in Enfield MK4 and a 1894 Marlin .44 Mag Trapper. If Photobucket was up I would include photos.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I have been testing Hornady One Shot gun cleaner/lube spray the past year or so and it's been the best thing I've found by a HUGE margin. It will protect a gun outside in the rain for months. Well, it protected gun parts that I left sitting outside for months.

Really clean and easy to use. You don't have to do anything special to apply it and it doesn't leave the gun greasy. If you hose it on it actually cleans the gun squeaky clean (it removed powder fouling that hoppes elite left behind) and leaves a thin coating after it runs off. If you spray it on light it leaves a heavier coating for storage purposes. The only thing you might notice is the stuff crystallizes after it sits on a gun for a few months, but it still protects the metal and the moment you wipre it with a rag it goes back to being like a light oil coating. I believe it's actually a microcrystaline wax based lubricant but I don't know and Hornady isn't telling.

I don't use it as a lube on guns that like running wet (suppressed guns) but anything that goes into storage gets that stuff on it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Get it coated when/if you can, until then use the product that came out on top in this gentleman's rather extensive testing.
tl:dr - Eezox
View Quote

Indeed! Eezox is what you seek. I've used it exclusively for over 25 years (since it first came out in the 80s) and never had any rust issues on any of my blued or parkerized guns.
An incredible protectant, and a damn fine lube and cleaner. In fact, cleaning is significantly easier after initial application.
Can't recommend it highly enough.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd paint it but I've had good luck with using johnson paste wax or floor wax on several blued guns, and it's worked well for me.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 2:29:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Eezox.  There is no substitute.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Rust-Oleum paint worked great for the truck guns for me. If you are using it for a truck gun it is now a working tool.  One 16in Enfield MK4 and a 1894 Marlin .44 Mag Trapper. If Photobucket was up I would include photos.
View Quote

For a truck gun, I agree. I spray painted some beat up rifles, and it protects the metal. You can still oil the rifle inside and out for more protection. Some cleaning solvents will remove the paint though. And if you change your mind years down the road, you can spray it with paint stripper, and be right back to whatever metal finish you had in the first place.

I know it sounds goofy, but my black spray painted M1917 Enfield rifle looked pretty decent. And like I said, it's still not ruined. Spray paint comes off easily if you need it to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top