Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2015 1:02:36 AM EDT
Came across one of these today.  I had heard of them but never saw one before.  My understanding is that these were made ca. 1915 to 1938 and are a well-made copy/version of the Win 1892.  It has a 22" barrel, crescent butt with trap for a cleaning rod, saddle-ring and sling swivels.

The one I found is a bit rough finish-wise with not much remaining blue and light inactive rust over a lot of it. Some shallow pitting, mainly on The wood is dark but solid and I didn't see any cracks or major dings.  Surprisingly, internally it looks really good.  The action is clean and moves freely and the chamber and bore are great--clean and unpitted.  The sides of the hammer still show good case colors.  The price is $310 and it not negotiable at this time (it only went out for sale today).  I have it on a 5-day hold.

I only snapped pics of the markings, but they show the condition of the metal.

Anyone seen enough of these to have an opinion on the price?  I'd be happier at $250, I think, but $310 isn't so much.  I have a $10-off I can use as well as a $50 gift card and $70 in "club points" (though these don't lower the price, they do lower the cash outlay).  Thoughts and opinions wanted.  Thanks!

Rob
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 12:20:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, it's too much!    What Cabels's: did you say it was at now??   You might want to just wait till you see the next one....
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I think I smell a poacher.  Seriously, though...

Rob
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#3]
With good internals and barrel that is a good price. The last one of these I saw on GB in decent shape went for almost twice that.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 10:44:44 PM EDT
[#4]
It looks like a fine candidate for a refinish, but that sounds like a good deal given your condition description.
It's not as though you can pick up many other pistol caliber lever actions in that price range, after all.
Those El Tigres were often used in Hollywood. I think they used them in "The Rifleman" among other productions.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 10:48:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Good price . Get it
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I put it on layaway because I didn't have the hours to kill for Cabelas to sell me the rifle.

BTW...technical this is not "pistol caliber."  .44-40 is a rifle caliber.

Rob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top