Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2015 8:41:52 PM EDT
I went into the LGS today since they had sold a gun for me on consignment.

It just so happens they just took in a nice clean Marlin 1895GS 45/70 - Nice walnut stock with only a few carry dings. I've always wanted to get a non-ported Guide Gun, so I was very interested.

While I'm not a Marlin collector, I've heard about all the problems with the brand since the Freedom Group picked them up, so I wanted a older one if I could get it at a fair price. This one dates to 2007 - JM marked barrel, etc.

The asking price was $650, but I was able to get it for $600. Maybe not a steal, but not bad from what I've seen.

I already have, and load for another 45/70 - so I know what to expect.

I'd like to put a ghost ring peep sight on the rear - will keep the gold dot front for now.

Time to work up some loads and see what it likes.

I might entertain the thought of threading the barrel & getting a Bowers suppressor for it - maybe...

Have a good weekend,
Bob S.

Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Take a look at the XS Lever Rail.  Lever Rail
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats ! The 1895 gs is a great rifle,I bought mine when I was hearing rumors that Marlin might go out of business in 09.
Got on the net and found one on Buds Guns and ordered it asap. One of the last JM Marlins.

I scoped mine after putting XS sights on the rifle, but I didn't like them so I put on a scope I had laying around.

I also put a grind to fit Limbsaver pad because the stock pad felt like it was made with concrete.

Pic...

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 8:30:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Congratulations!

Mine has a JM marked barrel, and I had it tweaked a bit by Clements Custom Guns in Virginia.

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the comments.

I will look at the XS rail, but I'm leaning toward the Skinner "Alaskan" rear sight and fiber optic front sight,

A Limbsaver recoil pad will be installed right away, along with a Galco Butt Cuff ammo carrier.

I would love to let Clements do one of his custom packages to this, but that's a little out of my range at this time.

I'm looking forward to getting this one to the range - it has a very nice trigger already, and I want to see what it can do.

Take care,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
but I'm leaning toward the Skinner "Alaskan" rear sight and fiber optic front sight,
View Quote

Hell yes, the Skinner's are sexy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top