Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2015 9:34:28 AM EDT
I will be picking up a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 soon, I plan on using the XS sights and rail with a Leopold 2x7 scope. What qd rings are you guys using and what height? I have been looking at the Warne rings but have no experience with them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:59:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I will be picking up a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 soon, I plan on using the XS sights and rail with a Leopold 2x7 scope. What qd rings are you guys using and what height? I have been looking at the Warne rings but have no experience with them.
View Quote

I have Warne rings on several guns buy with confidence.
if your looking at mounting your scope in front of the rear sight I would suspect you need medium or tall rings. Especially,since that's not a straight tube scope like a 1x4 would be.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I was hoping to mount it in front of the rear sight if the scope has enough eye relief
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#3]
http://swfa.com/Leupold-2-7x33-VX-1-Riflescope-P51823.aspx
Here is the scope I was looking at, anyone have any experience with it or other suggestions.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Warne rings are a solid choice; I have them on a few rifles. The Leupold 2-7x you're looking at has 1.6 inch diameter objective and ocular bells. Warne low rings are 0.25 inch from bottom of base to bottom of tube, not quite enough. Their medium height rings are 0.375 inch, which gives you plenty of clearance. The Leupold QD rings have the same dimensions. The eye relief on that scope is about 4 inches, which might be enough to mount it in front of the rear sight if you crawl the stock a bit.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Would the high rings allow me to move the scope back over the rear sight
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:39:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would the high rings allow me to move the scope back over the rear sight
View Quote

You might be getting ahead of yourself; this is one of those "try as you go" setups. High rings might work, but they might not, and, whether or not they do work, you might not need them. Now, if you're like me and have The Big Box of Extra Parts I Bought Because I'm Too Damn Impatient, have at it and buy both heights. Just recognize that you might end up buying yet a 3rd set of rings. No worries: having extra scope rings just means you need to buy another rifle to put under them.    

The XS aperture sight system is adjustable, but it's really a "set and forget" that you zero once to your favorite load, then leave it alone. Since your scope is going to be your primary sighting system, you want it mounted as low as possible both to retain as much of the levergun's inherent balance and handiness, and to keep you from having to go to a "chin weld" to see through the scope.
To that end, I'd install the XS sight with whatever front sight you're going to use, and screw the XS aperture all the way down. Zero for elevation by changing your front sight height.
Having done that, you can tape the scope to the receiver in front of your rear sight and see if the eye relief works for you. It might, or it might not; there's no way to know until you try it. If it doesn't work and you have to mount the scope back over the rear sight, by mocking up cardboard risers you can see whether the ocular bell is going to sit over the rear sight, or if you'll be puling the scope back far enough that the main tube sits over the rear sight. When clearance is really close, I have been known to file a little off the top of the rear sight. You'll never notice it.  

After you've done all that, then you can use your calipers to determine the actual ring height required. Knowing that dimension is important, because there's no such thing as a "standard" when it comes to height: one company's "medium" height might be called "high" by another company, and there are probably a half-dozen different heights in each category. To add to the fun, some companies measure ring heights from the center of the scope tube to base of the ring, and some from bottom of the scope tube. Midway and Brownells both have charts that give ring heights for the various brands, so there is hope.  
You might also look at non-QD rings to find a good match. I don't find the lack of a QD lever to be a real hindrance; a short driver with whatever bit fits your rings makes quick work of scope removal, especially with good old Weaver rings.      
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, lots of useful tips there. And yes I do have a box of spare parts from having no patience. You mentioned the non qd rings, and I have been wondering if anyone makes a see through set that are low enough to keep from having the chin weld you mentioned.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#8]
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/827/827813.jpg

Willliams ace in the hole.
might give you a little more leeway with your scope mounting delima.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:28:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Not really interested in that for the 45-70 but will definitely be putting that on my 336, thanks for the link.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top