User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:21:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is that top rail from Ranger Point Precision? I'm looking for one,for my 336Y.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like my scoped Spikehorn.

To me thats the perfect setup for most leverguns.  Those scopes are light enough to not hurt the balance and handling but make a huge difference in 75 to 200 yard shots and beyond.  I have a 1.5x4.5 on my 444 and a 3x9x40 on my savage 99 308, to me the 99's in their flat shooting calibers can hang with bolt guns and deserve a good scope.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like my scoped Spikehorn.

It is an EGW 336 rail and much cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:34:55 PM EDT
[#3]
When I was 16 years old my dad gave me a used Marlin 336 in .30-30.  That was 1966.  Do the math.  I scoped it with a Weaver K4 and proceeded to take deer with it.  Later, I changed to a V7 2-7x.  The open sights never did much for me.  I tried Weaver's pivot mount, but found the scope, especially the low power variable, kept down on 2x most of the time, to be best and went back to a fixed mount and rings.  The high "see through" rings are a joke and destroy cheek weld.

That rifle took my first deer and many others before I began using bolt guns more.  Sadly, it was stolen.  I loved it and have never owned a centerfire lever since I lost it.  Maybe time for another.  

Those who think modest powered scopes don't belong on side ejection lever guns, like Marlin, are entitled to their opinions, but I favor them strongly

I am not opposed to good aperture sights, and use them on single shot and target applications.  I like the Williams receiver sight.  I have a single shot .45-70 with Williams receiver sight and a 2-7x35 Burris Scout Scope, and like the setup, but for hunting with a lever gun with side ejection, a low powered scope, especially variable, is better for me.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 11:10:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Burris 2-7x. Works great.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 4:20:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I am about to install a Weaver 2x7x32 on my new to me 44 mag Marlin . The gun was missing scope mount screws and a new mount was cheaper than the screws so there you have it
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:49:59 AM EDT
[#6]
In Pennsylvania you almost have to have a scope. I have a 1980 Marlin 336 with a Leupold 4-12.
You need a masters degree to figure out what deer you can and can not shoot and in what season. Some county's are 2 horns up, some counties are 3 horns up.
Some counties you can shoot doe from opening day till the end. Some counties buck only the first week.
Plus you have to have maps to figure out the areas. It's not by counties, it may be from this highway to this stream is buck only. This county doe only.
This county shotgun only and 3 horns up.

So needless to say you need a scope so you don't go to jail. So much for hunting for meat. They make you be a trophy hunter in PA.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Allows me to see that 1/10 of a brown deer against a brown background in poor light.

That's why.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#8]
If I ever do put a scope on any if my leverguns, it'll be one of my .30-30s and it'll get a scope with a 7.62x39/.300 BLK reticle, since the .30-30 has a similar trajectory.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top