Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2015 12:58:10 PM EDT
I bought a used Winchester 94AE Trapper in 44mag recently.  With multiple types of ammo it fails to eject fairly consistently and when it does it is a weak ejectionn

Symptoms:
-weak ejection to no ejection on almost every shot
-extraction is fine, and i can see the hook on the extractor has a complete purchase on the rim of the cartridge
-When i depress the ejector with a punch it goes back towards the bolt with tension but does not spring back????
-When I depress the ejector on my 30-30 94AE the ejector springs back.  Both the 44mag and the 30-30 ejector take approx. the same pressure to push back towards the bolt face.
-The only way to get the ejector to "come back out" after depressing it on my 44mag trapper is to cycle the action.

What I've already done:
-I disassembled the 44mag trapper 94AE and cleaned the heck out of the bolt (did not disassemble the bolt) and the rest of the internals (blasted with brake cleaner, doused in CLP, brushed everything, and wiped off)
-While I had the bolt in my hand I could depress the ejector and it would spring right back out, so the ejector only seems to get stuck in the depressed position when the gun is assembled.

What I'm thinking of doing:
-burning my house down out of anger and frustration
-polishing the ejector and the channel the ejector spring rides in at the bottom of the bolt.
-buying a new spring and ejector, and possibly polishing them as well.  But I don't think this is the solution because when the bolt is in my hand the ejector moves in with pressure and back with force as it should.

Help me please!?

Update 19-June-2015:
-So I took the whole gun apart again, and I removed the ejector from the underside of the bolt
-I used my Dremel to remove (not just polish) tiny amounts of metal from all sides of the actual ejector.
-Then I used a wire brush Dremel bit to polish the ejector up
-I put the ejector back in the bolt (huge pain in the ass by the way), and the ejector was still snagging on something in the channel it rides in on the underside of the bolt.
-I removed the ejector once more, and used a Dremel circular saw/cutter attachment to make-wider and make-taller the narrow channel that the ejector rides in.  In all, I opened the channel up a tiny bit.
-Put the ejector back on (huge pain again, like I had to use my foot to hold a pair of pliers), and then reassembled the entire gun.
-Test cycled 9 live rounds of Fiocci 240gr SP at a time for like 20 times, no failures to eject.  A marked improvement from before, I really think the problem is solved, but since I haven't tested under live fire yet I can't absolutely confirm.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I  have the same problem with a Marlin 1894 44 mag.
I put a new ejector in it. Did not help.
The extractor holds the rim well, I can
Remove bolt, insert case under the extractor and
Shake it without the falling out so it seems ok.
Happens with light reloads, heavy reloads
And factory ammo.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 8:40:41 PM EDT
[#2]
More than likely the channel orthe ejector that sits in it have a burr there somewhere or someone cut the springleaving a burr on the spring end, but if it wont move when you put pressure on it, check for a burr or rust in the channel grove. Not to bad to take apart either.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 1:44:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Try working the lever smartly to get positive ejection.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 9:48:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Update in OP.

dennyd, you were closest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top