Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2015 7:13:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 8:51:32 AM EDT
[#1]
It looks like an inexpensive imitation of Annie Oakley's smooth bore Marlin she used in Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#2]
It looks kind of cheap to be honest. I thought all German stuff was supposed to be top shelf.

I wonder if It's legal to have a rifled barrel installed?
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:44:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:16:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  It looks kind of cheap to be honest. I thought all German stuff was supposed to be top shelf.

View Quote

Sure.  You can go shotgun > rifle > shotgun anytime you want.  T/C Encores do it all the time.  You can go from .223" to .410" and back again with your AR.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#5]
So the barrel riders that shoot balloons from horse back and many trick shooters use corn cob media loads to prevent hitting spectators.  Maybe this was something like that....gallery rifle or quick shot rifle using crushed media loads to break balloons.  My guess....
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 4:41:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So the barrel riders that shoot balloons from horse back and many trick shooters use corn cob media loads to prevent hitting spectators.  Maybe this was something like that....gallery rifle or quick shot rifle using crushed media loads to break balloons.  My guess....
View Quote

I believe they (smooth bore .22's) were sort of popular at one point for pest control. I think they were called garden guns. The problem is that .22 shot shells have and erratic pattern and not much power beyond spitting distance.

There was an article about them in the annual Gun Digest a couple years back.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sure.  You can go shotgun > rifle > shotgun anytime you want.  T/C Encores do it all the time.  You can go from .223" to .410" and back again with your AR.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  It looks kind of cheap to be honest. I thought all German stuff was supposed to be top shelf.

I didn't know for sure. I figured there was some fool law against it. It would probably be cost prohibitive considering the quality of the rest of the gun. Just a thought is all.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I didn't know for sure. I figured there was some fool law against it. It would probably be cost prohibitive considering the quality of the rest of the gun. Just a thought is all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did some research on those a while ago.  They are NOT firearms. They were originally intended for blanks.  They were imported here and sold that way with a "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" because they they could chamber live ammo, the same way starter pistols used to be sold in NYC.  As I recall the receiver is pot metal.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I believe they (smooth bore .22's) were sort of popular at one point for pest control. I think they were called garden guns. The problem is that .22 shot shells have and erratic pattern and not much power beyond spitting distance.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

22 smooth bores were pretty popular for a while for an indoor shooting game with miniature clay birds.  Remington even made rifles with a substantial back-bore, called a Routledge bore, which gave the shot a LOT of dispersion.

On of the reasons 22 shot cartridges have such a poor reputation is that shooting them through a rifled bore produces a "doughnut-like" pattern.  You can be dead on target and still miss because the shot hits all around the outside of the critter.  Smooth bores pattern much better.

And the link isn't a "garden gun" anyway - see my previous post.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:47:47 AM EDT
[#10]
That might have been made for the English market. Quite a few European .22LR rifles were produced as smoothbores to comply with our legal definitions of a shotgun.

The definitions are more restrictive these days with magazine capacity limits (2+1) and no detachable magazines allowed. I think the pre-'88 regulations were basically just a minimum 24" inch, smoothbore barrel. Not 100% sure if the barrel length limit was set at 24" inches by that point.

The most common .22LR, European made lever-actions over here are Erma. Never seen one made by Reck, but I have seen CO2 pistols made by them.

Quoted:

View Quote

European Garden guns are typically single shot bolt-actions, chambered in 9mm Flobert. There are variations, including semi-automatics. Bernadelli still make their semi-auto version.

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#11]
That's a seriously hideous rifle, I'm surprised at the $195 price tag hanging from it, seems like a $20 special to me (and then haggle them down).

It's sold, did you buy the gun?

This gun is no more hideous than any number of other German or American guns with receivers made from zinc alloy and finished with black paint, or an SKS, AK-47, or just about any other military surplus firearm.

It's a cheap gun, sold as a cheap gun when new, and now.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top