Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2015 9:13:10 PM EDT
I am mostly a pistol guy, so i was wondering if i could have your opinion on a possible lever gun deal.
I found a Marlin 1895 guide gun 45/70.The gun is the blued ported model.From what the owner tells me, it only has 72 rounds through it.
Included in the sale is the gun, the 72 rounds of fired brass, 28 live rounds, the hammer extension, and scope base.This is a jm marked rifle from 2001.
Do you guys have an opinion of what the package is worth.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:14:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I have that same one in SS.  In good shape, I'd pay 600.00.

The porting is good at clearing people off the benches nearby.  Not sure I like the ports, but it shoots well.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:07:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

No -- that one is not on GB for $399 --- that is an auction with a 399 starting bid and 6 days left ----- completely different thing
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:30:11 PM EDT
[#4]
the gun is probably worth around $525-$600 depending on how bad the buyer wants it. Ammo is hard to judge price on, I'd offer going price for the loaded stuff and low ball on the brass(especially if you don't reload). If it was me I'd offer the guy $550 for the whole works and see what he thinks.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:31:17 AM EDT
[#5]
DITTO  ,that's a fair price for that ..
Quoted:
the gun is probably worth around $525-$600 depending on how bad the buyer wants it. Ammo is hard to judge price on, I'd offer going price for the loaded stuff and low ball on the brass(especially if you don't reload). If it was me I'd offer the guy $550 for the whole works and see what he thinks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I ended up getting the gun with all the ammo, brass , and stuff for $500.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 7:24:48 PM EDT
[#7]
That is not a bad price.  I have one that I have had for several years and really enjoy it.  So for I have taken 1 moose and 2 bison with it.  Yes the porting is a little loud on the range, but otherwise it has not bothered me.

Quoted:
I ended up getting the gun with all the ammo, brass , and stuff for $500.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/3/2015 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#8]
It has been pretty cold here, lately, so i have only put 6 rnds through it.I think the recoil with low pressure factory ammo is very mild.My wife even shot it, and thinks its great.I ordered a bunch of reloading supplies for it, and some buffalo bore ammo.I cant wait to unleash some of the higher power of a modern 45/70.Thanks for the reponces on the estimated value.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#9]
It has been pretty cold here, lately, so i have only put 6 rnds through it.I think the recoil with low pressure factory ammo is very mild.My wife even shot it, and thinks its great.I ordered a bunch of reloading supplies for it, and some buffalo bore ammo.I cant wait to unleash some of the higher power of a modern 45/70.Thanks for the reponces on the estimated value.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:08:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, the factory ammo is pretty tame....some of the loads I worked up for elk (420 gr hard cast WFN) were just too much.  Muzzle blast blew the chrono over at 10', and bruised my cheek.   I shoot elk, not elephant, so I backed them off.  IIRC they were 1900 fps.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Good score, let us know how the new ammo works.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 6:30:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I own the same gun and reloading is the way to go. You can go from mild to wild, I started out working up hunting loads using 405 grain jacketed bullets and started out on the bottom of the charts and before I reached the top I quit.

The recoil goes way up on the top third of the charts.

I still load some at the top of the charts, when ever someone tells me they are not bothered by recoil  let them shoot 4 or 5 of these. They can be shot but will not do more then 3 or 4 just takes all the fun out of it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 7:51:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice score!  And, you're right, these guns thump on you when loaded on the heavy side.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 11:35:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I own the same gun and reloading is the way to go. You can go from mild to wild, I started out working up hunting loads using 405 grain jacketed bullets and started out on the bottom of the charts and before I reached the top I quit.

The recoil goes way up on the top third of the charts.

I still load some at the top of the charts, when ever someone tells me they are not bothered by recoil  let them shoot 4 or 5 of these. They can be shot but will not do more then 3 or 4 just takes all the fun out of it.
View Quote

I was in Alaska a few years back......talked to guy who was a guide during bear hunting season.....he carried A Marlin Guide gun.......45-70.....with handloads.....a 485 gr gas checked lead slug......leaving the muzzle at about 2000 fps.
He said it hurt a LOT when shooting from the bench.
He fired it 3 times to stop 2 charging bears.
Did it hurt when firing at the bears?......I asked.
He replied I NEVER FELT A THING!
Adrenaline......a very powerful thing!
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Portable man cannon!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top