Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2014 11:22:00 AM EDT
This is not a WANTED ad....but
I do have a hankerin for a Henry 1860 lever rifle but know little about them or the .44-40 cartridge.
Henry makes them, Uberti, Buffalo Arms and other manufactures. Which maker makes a good 1860?
What is the difference from one manufacturer's 1860  to another? What to look out for?
I imagine I would shoot it plenty as I do all most my guns.

I would also get set up and learn to load 44-40. I expect Starline has brass.

Any basic orientation type info will be helpful.

Thanks For Your Time
VonBark
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:50:50 AM EDT
[#1]
The Henry will be functional.

The Uberti will be functional and beautiful.

Buffalo Arms just sells rifles by the two makers, above.  I have to admit, the Henry shown on the BA web site looks pretty darned nice.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#2]
While the 1860 Henry is beautiful, I find it awkward to hold and after a number of shots, it get a bit warm to hold the barrel. Further, loading the ammo like a 22lr through the tube is not my idea of fun.  I opted for Uberti's 1866 model 19" carbine (the first true Winchester) which has both a side loading gate and a wood forearm to go along with my Uberti Model 1873 24" Special Sporting Rifle to which I added a Lyman tang sight for long range shooting.  I'm very pleased with both.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I would lean toward the Uberti since the cost of the Henry is so high, and it seems that the Uberti is more in line with the lines of the original Henry.

COSteve's advice on the 1866 is something to think about, too, unless you want the Henry because you want to have a Henry.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:57:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While the 1860 Henry is beautiful, I find it awkward to hold and after a number of shots, it get a bit warm to hold the barrel. Further, loading the ammo like a 22lr through the tube is not my idea of fun.  I opted for Uberti's 1866 model 19" carbine (the first true Winchester) which has both a side loading gate and a wood forearm to go along with my Uberti Model 1873 24" Special Sporting Rifle to which I added a Lyman tang sight for long range shooting.  I'm very pleased with both.
View Quote

How is the stock drop? I bought a Henry Golden Boy, which I know is not a 1866. I took it back because the stock dropped so much it was uncomfortable for me. I was thinking about getting the same Uberti 1866 Carbine as you, but if the Golden Boy mimics the 1866 stock, I will have to pass.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:03:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Get one in .45 Colt.....easier to reload than the bottleneck 44-40.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:23:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the Uberti 1860 (steel frame) in 45 Colt and love it, I shoot mine quite a bit, so far I haven't had a problem with the barrel heating up to much. Fit and finish is top notch on it.

Steve.........
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 9:26:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Not so sure about the comment above about the Henry just being "functional". I think she's kind of damn gorgeous myself.

After getting my youngest son a Big Boy 357/38 a few years back and then a Golden Boy 22 just because....I've been wanting an original. Went into the local gun store the other day and there it was. Couldn't resist. Wrapped and under the tree it went.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:05:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

How is the stock drop? I bought a Henry Golden Boy, which I know is not a 1866. I took it back because the stock dropped so much it was uncomfortable for me. I was thinking about getting the same Uberti 1866 Carbine as you, but if the Golden Boy mimics the 1866 stock, I will have to pass.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Stock drop of the 1866 appears to be the same as my Uberti 1873 and very suitable for the iron sights it comes with.  I understand your issue with the Golden Boy, I have a Henry H001 and the drop on the Golden Boy is significantly more, too much for me to be comfortable with it.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Stock drop of the 1866 appears to be the same as my Uberti 1873 and very suitable for the iron sights it comes with.  I understand your issue with the Golden Boy, I have a Henry H001 and the drop on the Golden Boy is significantly more, too much for me to be comfortable with it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I really like the 1866. The GB was a  .17hmr, but I took it back and got a .17 H001.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not so sure about the comment above about the Henry just being "functional". I think she's kind of damn gorgeous myself.

After getting my youngest son a Big Boy 357/38 a few years back and then a Golden Boy 22 just because....I've been wanting an original. Went into the local gun store the other day and there it was. Couldn't resist. Wrapped and under the tree it went.

http://www.whittakerguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/H011D.png
View Quote

If that's the rifle you got, that is beautiful!
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:30:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

You missed this part - " I have to admit, the Henry shown on the BA web site looks pretty darned nice.".

Most of the Big Boys I've seen are not as nice as that.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.whittakerguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/H011D.png

The wood on mine isn't that red, but still a pretty chunk of walnut. My sons Big Boy 357/38 has the redder tint.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You missed this part - " I have to admit, the Henry shown on the BA web site looks pretty darned nice.".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our Big Boy is the one that got me hooked on the Henry's. Just a damn pretty gun. Heavy as f#&k but so good looking. Really smooth trigger action, very impressed. Now the Golden Boy 22, like others have mentioned the stock has a weird angle to it going from one gun to the other. Being about 30-40% less that the Big Boy, the trigger is not nearly as nice and internal parts look to be of a lower quality. Still a very nice looking gun that shoots well with no issues as of yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top