Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2014 12:30:54 PM EDT
.375 win marlin  375??? Anyone have one? I can pick one up for $500. Should I?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Good close range thumper. Not sure I would pay that much. Not sure about ammo availability.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I had one years ago, Great woods rifle
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:16:22 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a great gun......I shoot a 38-55 Marlin Cowboy.....and the .375 is basically the same thing just loaded to higher pressures.
Get it!
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Great price.  Great cartridge.  As stated, it is really a 38-55 renamed so it could be marketed with higher pressure ammo.

A real thumper that doesn't beat the shooter up.  It will do everything the 45=70 will out to about three hundred meters.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 6:03:39 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a great rifle. Only problem is no ammo. You have to reload and brass is usually a once a year production run. I have been on a waiting list with Sierra for bullets for over a year. I have about 200 brand new pieces of brass with no bullets. I could go with hard cast lead but I want some factory equilivent loads.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:27:37 PM EDT
[#6]
IF the gun is in good condition that is a great buy. Only problem is finding ammo if you're not a reloader. I don't think factory ammo has been made for years and the stuff that pops up on GB is selling for $60-$70/box. To me the .375 Marlin is more of a collector item due to the ammo situation and the fact that Marlin only made them for three or four years.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll go against the grain and say that's a terrible price for a rifle with an almost non-existent ammo or brass supply.

Attention .450 Marlin owners, this is your future.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:11:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one and have had for 20+ years. It truly is a thumper all out of proportion to its paper ballistics. I've killed both deer and hogs with mine. Loaded with a 220 gr. Hornady (still produced by Hornady) to just under 2200 fps they it's dropped everything I've shot with it in its tracks. I'd not hesitate to hunt elk with the round so long as the range were under 150 yds. or so.

I'd imagine if a man is patient he can find brass.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#9]
If you are a reloader I'd offer 450 and see what happens.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one and have had for 20+ years. It truly is a thumper all out of proportion to its paper ballistics. I've killed both deer and hogs with mine. Loaded with a 220 gr. Hornady (still produced by Hornady) to just under 2200 fps they it's dropped everything I've shot with it in its tracks. I'd not hesitate to hunt elk with the round so long as the range were under 150 yds. or so.

View Quote

Hornady has a "temporary suspension" on the 220 grain bullets. It's been this way for a while. None of my local retailers seem to carry them, and I can't find them online. Do you have a source?
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 3:41:55 AM EDT
[#11]
That's not a bad price from a collector price.  Marlin produced less numbers of the big bore rifles in 375 Win.  The prices I have seen for the Marlins are $800-1000 and I've only seen a few at that.  Winchester produces ammo currently and it's around $60 a box.  I have seriously wanted to get a 375 Winchester but It won't do anything a 30-06 can do more effectively.

I still want one someday just because I think it would be a lot of fun to take and shoot some game with.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Hornady has a "temporary suspension" on the 220 grain bullets. It's been this way for a while. None of my local retailers seem to carry them, and I can't find them online. Do you have a source?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have a source and haven't been looking because I still have an ample supply of bullets. I did that Laham has them in stock. Also  Barnes makes a 255 gr. FP for the .375.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 9:03:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Ohio just put that caliber on the approved list for deer hunting.  Since then calibers like .375, 444 and 45-70 have been on the gun stores shelf in much larger quantity.  

Up here that gun would ball park around $800
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I purchased my 375 Marlin at the local sheriff auction two years ago.

It is a great gun for any big game with in 200 yds. And that price is a good
deal for the gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top