Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2014 6:55:21 PM EDT
Read all I can, still don't know.  Has to be a .44 or maybe .45.  I strongly prefer it to load via the side of the receiver rather than into the tube.  I'd like it without a safety if possible.  

I have plenty of options local at great prices, but nothing with all three of the above features.  I've found an old marlin or two with all 3 features but the owners wanted way too much money.  A Henry 45 is local, but I despise the tube loading, is that unreasonable?  Lots of 30-30 choices, but I prefer 44 or maybe 357 since I already have those calibers.

Never owned a lever gun - which compromises have you made and then regretted(or not)?  Should I cough up the $ for an old marlin that has all 3 things I want?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:09:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I would choose a .44 over the .45 colt. The rim on the .44 is much more pronounced and is generally more reliable for extraction than the tiny rim on .45 colt casings.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:....more reliable for extraction than the tiny rim on .45 colt casings.
View Quote

Never read that - perfect example of the internet, the more you read the less you know!  Is that really a problem or a theoretical problem?  I find it hard to believe a brand new gun that isn't a lemon will have any sort of major trouble like extraction problems.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:50:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Should be pointed out  - .45 colt was never chambered in original Winchesters from the period.  Winchester instead used and developed the 44-40.

The .45 Colt never enjoyed the .44-40's advantage of a Winchester rifle chambered for it, allowing use of the same cartridge in both pistol and rifle.[5] The reason was that early .45 Colt cartridges had a very minimal rim, and would not eject reliably. Currently manufactured brass has a rim of adequate diameter for such uses. Modern Winchesters, Marlins and replicas have remedied this omission almost 100 years after the fact, and the .45 Colt is now available in modern lever-action rifles. While this has been one of numerous arguments to explain the lack of a rifle chambered in .45 Colt, in fact, Colt would not authorize the use of their .45 Colt in other manufacturers’ arms. It required the expiration of those original patents for the .45 Colt to become available in a lever action or indeed in any other action rifle.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Colt

I personally went 44-40 on my 1873 uberti, and .357 on more modern designs.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:25:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Never read that - perfect example of the internet, the more you read the less you know!  Is that really a problem or a theoretical problem?  I find it hard to believe a brand new gun that isn't a lemon will have any sort of major trouble like extraction problems.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

In this day and age, it is more theoretical than real. When the 1873 Winchester came out, it was real. Not now. Brass cases are undercut. Think rimless cases. They have undercut extractor grooves. Both my .44 and .45 Marlins extract just fine. The exception to the undercut rim is the Blazer aluminum case stuff and my Marlins run it just fine in .357 and .45. I haven't tried it in my .44.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#5]
The safety on the Rossi 92s is very easy to remove.  You can order a replacement plus from Steve's Gunz for about $20, and then the Rossi meets all of your requirements.  I really like mine!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#6]
How much is "way to much" for the Marlins? And what are they?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#7]
also if you plan on grabbing a marlin.. get an older one from before Remington bought them.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#8]
If price is a concern, I would get a Rossi. The reasons are these:

• Has the side loading gate you want.

• Has a safety that is easily removed by yourself. You can buy a plug, or make one yourself out of the existing safety that will be almost invisible.

• Can be had in any of the calibers you mentioned.

• Is designed around straight-walled cartridges.

• Is the strongest lever action design (with the '86).

• Is made with strong, modern materials.

• Quality if fit and finish and the action are much better than they were in the past.

• They can benefit from some smoothing of the action, but so do the Italian replicas at a much higher price.

I think the Rossi 92s are the best value for pistol-caliber leverguns today.

If you want to spend more on a prettier rifle, you can get an Italian replica, or the best, if you spend top dollar is to find one of the older Browning/Miroku clones.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The original .45 Colt cases were ballon cases - the rim was created by sort of folding the edge of the case. It was intended for little more than preventing the case from sliding into the chambers of a revolver cylinder too far, and the case was intended to be ejected by a rod striking it inside the case. The original cases were not brass, were thin, and the rim was little more than a weak, imprecise little bump that was never intended for extraction. This is why period rifles were not chambered for it, and the .44-40 was developed instead.

Today the cases are made much differently (like many other modern cases) and they have a rim that works just fine with the extractor in a levergun.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the Rossi, the stock seems short though on the .357 ones I've looked at.  Are there different sizes or is that it?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:41:50 PM EDT
[#11]
The stocks are the correct length for most people.

The carbine stocks are just a bit shorter overall than the rifle stocks. The rifle stocks are meant to be fired of of the upper arm, not the shoulder. The .454 stocks with the buttpad are a bit too long.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:18:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Get a Marlin!
But.....I'm biased.....I have 7 Marlins!
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had a few .45 lever gunz and every one of them has had absolutely horrendous blow-back.  The small rim and ancient dimensional specifications for the .45 LC result in less than satisfactory operation in lever gunz.  I've gotten rid of all mine.

The .44 Magnum, on the other hand, is a modern cartridge that came to market after SAMMI started standardizing cartridges and chambers, and the rim is full sized.  The .44 works great in lever gunz and is one of the most versatile cartridges available to the hand loader.  I've never made a round -- high or low intensity -- that wasn't accurate.  Great cartridge.  Great in lever gunz.

You'll not be happy for long with a .45 Colt's Long lever rifle.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Get a Marlin!
But.....I'm biased.....I have 7 Marlins!
View Quote

Sounds like a case of Marlinitis! Join the club
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've had a few .45 lever gunz and every one of them has had absolutely horrendous blow-back...

...You'll not be happy for long with a .45 Colt's Long lever rifle.
View Quote

Blowback from the chamber toward your face, or...? Not sure I understand.

I have leverguns in .357, .44, and .454 (that I've shot thousands of .45LC through); all rossi/puma 1892 versions. Also used a friend's .45LC 1873 repro (I forget the mfr) at a sass match. Never had a problem or noticed any chamber blowback, but always open to learning from others' experience.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 7:37:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I have some perspective as I own a Marlin 39A 22rf , Rossi 357  , Marlin cowboy 44mag octagon heavy barrel , a couple of win 94 in 30-30 , a win 94 in 32 win sp and a marlin 1895 full size 45-70  . All my Marlins are north haven guns .

I am not at all a fan of most rossi guns (hate the revolvers) but the older 357 I have is a fine gun for general shooting.

My 44 marlin is a peach of a gun with beautiful wood and finish , the cowboy model I have has "cut" riflling which works well with lead bullets although the twist isn't really suitable with bullets over 240 gr . Other Marlins had micro-grove which is difficult with lead bullets but very accurate with jacketed . the 44 has a decent advantage over the 357 in power if your uses include hunting.

The 30-30 and 32 sp guns are somewhat flatter shooting than the 44 mag but compared to something like a 308 they still have rainbow type trajectory. If you reload the 30-30 actually is a decent cast bullet gun.

The 1895 will shoot the trapdoor level 45-70 loads in a pleasant fashion but if you stoke it up with the mid level loads it has some serious power.
It will not handle the top level 45-70 loads designed for the Ruger #1s .

All the levers have pluses and minuses , I believe the OP is on the right track with his requirements but a lot of his selection will depend on the type of shooting (target , plinking or hunting) and if he reloads.

I have read the stuff about the 45 Colt rims , now I believe folks in the past went with the 44/40 because  of that but I have never heard of any folks having trouble with the modern guns.
Standard factory 45 colt is quite mild but a handloader can run them just as powerfull as 44 mag
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:47:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I've had a few .45 lever gunz and every one of them has had absolutely horrendous blow-back.  The small rim and ancient dimensional specifications for the .45 LC result in less than satisfactory operation in lever gunz.  I've gotten rid of all mine.

The .44 Magnum, on the other hand, is a modern cartridge that came to market after SAMMI started standardizing cartridges and chambers, and the rim is full sized.  The .44 works great in lever gunz and is one of the most versatile cartridges available to the hand loader.  I've never made a round -- high or low intensity -- that wasn't accurate.  Great cartridge.  Great in lever gunz.

You'll not be happy for long with a .45 Colt's Long lever rifle.
View Quote
Really?

Were you shooting light blackpowder loads?

Other than that, there should be no issues. A modern .45 Colt case is not so different than a modern .44 Mag case. It is not the rim that seals the chamber, it is the case walls. A standard load in a .45 Colt is fine in a levergun, and the only people I have heard that had any issue were CAS shooters using light BP loads; they generally say they prefer .44-40 for that due to the thin case that seals the chamber better with the lower pressures.

People hear about things, like people saying they have blowby on a .45 Colt levergun, and assume they have the same issue, without really understanding it.

Also, one of the issues with the .44 mag in leverguns is that a number have been made over the years that are difficult too find accurate loads for, due to wrong twist rates or bore dimensions, so you have to be sure what you are getting. When I hear someone say they have trouble with their Browning 1892 or Marlin 1894 shooting accurately, I immediately expect them to say that it is chambered in .44 Mag, and most of the time they do.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top