Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2014 11:43:09 AM EDT
I haven't followed very closely the ups and downs of quality control with new Marlin rifles in the past two years.  I'm aware that when Remington bought them things went downhill, but I haven't heard if things have improved since then.  I've got a friend looking for a lever gun who's asked me for pointers.  I told him to look for a used JM Marlin in good shape, but he wants new and I don't know if I should tell him to pass or not.  

I get that there are other options out there, and have told him so.  He may go with one of those, but I'm really just interested in where Marlin is right now to know if they should just be out of the competition for his money.  I'm not looking for replies that say "go for a Rossi."  Rossi is already being considered.  

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:14:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Someone posted some pics recently of their new Marlin levergun. Disassembled and the machining looked horrendous. It "Looked" so bad that you had to wonder about reliability but the thread did not comment about a range report from what I remember.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:55:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Good grief.  I've done less horrendous things with a dremel.  That thread is over two years old though.  I was hoping for something a bit more recent.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:06:37 PM EDT
[#4]
from what I've seen, you want original JM prior to the announcment of the plant closing.....
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
That thread is over 2 years old.From my understanding quality and workmanship is getting better,but I would look at at a Marlin at a gun store and not buy on line still.

There are reports that Remlin is getting their act together on Marlin rifles.Plenty of reading on the subject here......http://www.marlinowners.com/
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm very happy with my late 2013 vintage 1895SBL.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:28:00 AM EDT
[#7]
A friend of mine bought a Remlin 336 this spring.

Does it shoot?  Yes, and accurate enough.  2 inch groups with a 30-30 are pretty decent with round nose ammo.  Good enough to knock down a deer.
Does it look OK on the outside?  Finish on the metal is fine.  There is some gaps here and there where the stock meets the action.
Does it cycle good?  Thus far Ive put about 100 rounds through it this summer for him for shits and grins.  It cycles and feeds, has not jammed.  Probably wouldnt hurt to tear it down and polish the internals.
Does the trigger suck?  Yes it does.  Needs to have a good trigger job done on it, or just put in a trigger from Wild West Guns.

Overall, Id look for an older JM stamped 336, as the used ones are about the same price or a little lower than a new one.

Im also comparing this to my grandfathers old 336 that was made in the mid '50's which probably has 1000 rounds thru it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top