Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2014 5:14:40 AM EDT
Cross posting from GD ................... thought you guys might be interested.

30-40Krag/30GOV/30ARMY ...................

Barrel shortened/replaced sometime in it's 110-year life - should be 26" instead of 23" and front-sight modified.

Lyman sight was a factory option, but mine was added after market since it is mounted differently.

Everything else seems to be original but may have been re-blued/re-finished sometime in the past 11 decades.

Looks like some kind of recoil sleeve/pad was on it for a while - stock is discolored.

Got a few boxes of 180gr Winchester ammo to try out in it.

Neat old gun.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:11:41 AM EDT
[#1]
One of those is on my bucket list for firearms,... Sort of want a 7.62x54r version... Sort of want that medium bore like Teddy used.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:50:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I saw one back in 1976 at Potomac Arms in Alexandria, VA.  It was a 30.06 and I wanted it sooooo bad.  But it was well above the price a PFC could afford so I just had to look at everytime I went in there till someone else bought it.

I still see one, now and then, at a gun show, but I no longer deer hunt and don't feel the need for another gun I'll never shoot very much.  I have too many now that don't get shot.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#3]
When I was a wee lad, one of my parents' neighbors had one.

I could barely hold it up to point it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Beautiful rifle. The first time I shot one I learned why everyone I knew who owned one wouldn't part with it.

I think that sight may be a M94/92 version, maybe. It is mounted differently becasue it is shorter. Will work just as well, though. Or maybe it is just moved back a little, but I think it might be shorter. It is an actual Lyman-made sight, right? It looks like it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:39:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Browning used to sell Miroku made repros of the 1895. Probably the cheapest way to get an 1895.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Beautiful rifle. The first time I shot one I learned why everyone I knew who owned one wouldn't part with it.

I think that sight may be a M94/92 version, maybe. It is mounted differently becasue it is shorter. Will work just as well, though. Or maybe it is just moved back a little, but I think it might be shorter. It is an actual Lyman-made sight, right? It looks like it.
View Quote

Yea, it's marked Lyman.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:53:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Browning used to sell Miroku made repros of the 1895. Probably the cheapest way to get an 1895.

View Quote

The Miroku's are going for about $1,200 for the rifles and $1,350 for the carbines - limited editions are more..

Winchester hasn't made them since 1932.

I got mine for $950 since the barrel wasn't original and the Lyman sight not being correct - still a real nice gun and the "real" thing..

Look on GunsAmerica and there are a few needy Winchesters for less than $900.

Most are $2K and up and bluing is faded and stocks ratty - but they are all original.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The Miroku's are going for about $1,200 for the rifles and $1,350 for the carbines - limited editions are more..

I got mine for $950 since the barrel wasn't original and the Lyman sight not being correct - still a real nice gun and the "real" thing..

Most are $2K and up and bluing is faded and stocks ratty - but they are all original.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Outstanding!  You got a heck of a deal. Always better to have the real thing anyway.

Browning inexplicably made a bunch of these in .270 Win. In .270 the Browning repro doesn't sell well at all, I've turned down a couple at very good prices because .270 is such an odd choice the 1895.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:48:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
My wife got mine (Browning) for barely over $800, already converted to .35 Whelen.

I expected it to go much higher, since most I was seeing were going for at least $1200 at the time, and it was in brand new condition.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:54:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Outstanding!  You got a heck of a deal. Always better to have the real thing anyway.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

And I think well-done period alterations are often just as cool as unaltered rifles anyway. There is history there.

Quoted:

Browning
inexplicably made a bunch of these in .270 Win. In .270 the Browning
repro doesn't sell well at all, I've turned down a couple at very good
prices because .270 is such an odd choice the 1895.

But a perfect choice for reboring to .35 Whelen!

And .270, while not an original chambering, is not a bad choice for a non-traditional chambering. I think the argument that it is too flat-shooting a caliber for a non-scoped rifle is goofy. A flat shooting cartridge can be an advantage with iron sights, just as it is with a scope. Being a bit of a traditionalist, of course, I am not too interested in that chambering in an 1895 rifle, but if I were being strictly practical, I probably would be.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
And I think well-done period alterations are often just as cool as unaltered rifles anyway. There is history there.

And .270, while not an original chambering, is not a bad choice for a non-traditional chambering. I think the argument that it is too flat-shooting a caliber for a non-scoped rifle is goofy. A flat shooting cartridge can be an advantage with iron sights, just as it is with a scope. Being a bit of a traditionalist, of course, I am not too interested in that chambering in an 1895 rifle, but if I were being strictly practical, I probably would be.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Browning inexplicably made a bunch of these in .270 Win. In .270 the Browning repro doesn't sell well at all, I've turned down a couple at very good prices because .270 is such an odd choice the 1895.

I'm with you, a 1895 in .35 Whelen sounds great, but a .270 just doesn't interest me.

I like "tasteful" customs too, and customs that make sense.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Krag'em, and bag'em! Sweet rifle. Good on you.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice 1895.

I picked up a Saddle Ring Carbine version of the 95 in 30-40, made in 1899.  It has the same receiver sight (Lyman 31) as yours.  Evidently a popular option on these rifles. The rear sight if complete is worth hundreds by itself.  Nice rifles with plenty of history.  Enjoy and thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#14]
You got a nice one there!

I jumped on an interesting  '95 I found at this past weekend's gun show. Of 1912 vintage, a previous owner had rebarreled it with a two-groove, Springfield tube chambered in 30/40 Improved and whittled a new fore arm to fit.  I bought it because of it's history, because of its carbine-like handling quality and because I've never fooled around with an Ackley round. After seeing your pictures, now I'm tempted to install a re-pop of that Lyman sight that Buffalo Arms is selling.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top