Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2014 12:43:53 PM EDT

130 gr PDX1 fired from S&W 2" Model 638, S&W 4" Model 13, and Rossi 16" Model 92 through four layers of denim into water and calibrated 10% gelatin.

This test bears a little explanation. A while back I tested Speer Gold Dot 125 gr and 135 gr and got no expansion (links below). It was about 40° that day so I thought to my self, "Self, this might be due to the cooler weather causing the ammunition to be cold, resulting in lower velocity." So I retested the loads at both cold temperature and warmer temperature and confirmed that the cold temperature did indeed cause lower velocity, which in turn prevented expansion. Before testing this load I noticed that Tnoutdoors9 got no expansion in his test of the same ammunition. I thought it prudent to begin by testing cold ammunition against water. Cold ammo to represent a worst case for velocity and water to represent a best case for the bullet's ability to expand at the given velocity. So I left the revolver and ammo in the freezer over night and transported them in the cooler with the gelatin. Sorry for the long winded explanation but would you rather I type this out or yammer on for 40 minutes about philosophy of use?

http://youtu.be/M4ukjPssIYQ
http://youtu.be/G6dgkbBxW94

BB: 579.0 fps, 3.6"

Cold ammo in water
S&W638
Impact velocity: 789.8 fps
Penetration: ~27" (water)
Retained weight: 129.5 gr
No expansion

S&W 638
Impact velocity: 867.1 fps
Penetration: 20.0"
Retained weight: 129.2 gr
No expansion

S&W 4" Model 13
Impact velocity: 940.5 fps
Penetration: 13.3"
Retained weight: 128.9 gr
Max expansion: 0.545"
Min expansion: 0.423"

Rossi 16" M92
Impact velocity: 1,197 fps
Penetration: 17.4"
Retained weight: 128.5 gr
Max expansion: 0.576"
Min expansion: 0.489"

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:14:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Was the unexpanded bullet a fluke?  I ask that without yet watching the video.  I’m curious if the velocity difference was enough to prevent any expansion.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't say for sure without a larger sample size but I don't believe so. Other people have had failures with this load when testing with a short barrel.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:53:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Great info, thanks for putting this together!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top