Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2014 7:59:08 PM EDT
I recently acquired a post 64 model 94 in 30-30. If I remember correctly it was either '76 or '77 and unfortunately I didn't snap any photos. I pick it up tomorrow and will update with pictures but it's a very light colored wood and some of the metal has been bead blasted by the previous owner so any of the collector value that this post 64 had (If any to begin with) was lowered even more.

Long story short I picked up some older Winchester Super X and a box of Federal to go through at the range, get it sighted in, etc.
I found something interested that I personally haven't seen before and figured I'd post it here to see what you guys think. I'm sure it's something not worthy of a post like this but it's unique in my eyes and I figured this is the best place to come for answers.

By the way I paid 260 for the gun itself. I wasn't able to inspect the bore but was guaranteed that it was good and that if I had any issues with it to bring it back.

The round in question is a Remington-Peters if you can't tell from the photos. I included a normal Winchester Super X as well for comparison.
The round with the copper (appears to be copper colored at least) primer is the weird one.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:04:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Sabot round for 30-30

I tried them years ago for some extra zing (velocity), but when I hit a deer the penetration wasn't that good and the meat destruction was twice what a normal 30-30 round will do.

Just a novelty round, I'm not sure they are even made anymore.

$260 for a working post 63 model 94 is  a very good price.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting, I've never heard of saboted rounds. So today it would seem to be more-so a novelty item instead of something useful. I mean I only have one so it's not like I'll be able to have fun with it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:17:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

$260 for a working post 63 model 94 is  a very good price.
View Quote

Really? I figured it was just okay. It's a really pretty rifle, but you can tell it was used, which to me is a good thing.
Muzzle crown looked good, no corrosion anywhere that I could see.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Looks like the Remington Accelators to me  Accelators
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Looks like the Remington Accelators to me  Accelators
View Quote

Yes that was the name on the box I had, it's been so long I couldn't remember the correct term.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Remington accelerator round. 55 gr bullet at pretty high velocity. I used to use them to good effect on groundhogs.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:42:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm pretty excited for my first lever action so I'll be around here more often I'm sure.
Since I only have one round maybe I'll save it for that special piece of Tannerite.

Edit for autocorrect..
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:45:57 PM EDT
[#8]
the 30-06 accelerators made gophers and groundhogs disintegrate
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:07:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounded like a good deal at the time but they were a bit more expensive than "regular" ammo. They shot flatter than the normal bullets in whatever caliber but then again super light bullets are not really of great use on anything bigger than coyotes.

I had a few boxes and shot some without any real testing but I expect the light short bullets would have some performance issues because they were really being shot in barrels that mostly had all the wrong twist rates.

Might have some use if you didn't reload

I seem to remember they claimed close to or over 4000 fps for the 30-06 which I think was a .224 55gr bullet . Of cource those were the days of printing the velocity on the box but when you took the time to read the footnote it told you that it was out of a 26" test barrel !
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:33:53 PM EDT
[#10]
As mentioned, that's a Remington Accellerator round. They were not intended for use on anything other than varmints, certainly not for deer. The idea behind them was to allow someone with a .30 caliber rifle, but not a suitable varmint rifle, to launch a HV .22 caliber bullet for animals up to the size of coyotes.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:17:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Well as a small update to this I picked up the rifle today. The bore looks good and the action is smooth. Only downside is that I wasn't told the right year. It's a '66 manufacturer date, the blueing has been blasted off the receiver and magazine tube and the wood was replaced with a "blonde wood" receiver set. Either way I'm not too upset, I bought it to use it not for it's collector value or to try and make money off of it. I kinda like the look personally.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:41:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Well as a small update to this I picked up the rifle today. The bore looks good and the action is smooth. Only downside is that I wasn't told the right year. It's a '66 manufacturer date, the blueing has been blasted off the receiver and magazine tube and the wood was replaced with a "blonde wood" receiver set. Either way I'm not too upset, I bought it to use it not for it's collector value or to try and make money off of it. I kinda like the look personally.

http://imgur.com/I1mfBaPl.jpg
View Quote

I like "ugly" guns as long as they shoot good.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:44:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Sounded like a good deal at the time but they were a bit more expensive than "regular" ammo. They shot flatter than the normal bullets in whatever caliber but then again super light bullets are not really of great use on anything bigger than coyotes.

I had a few boxes and shot some without any real testing but I expect the light short bullets would have some performance issues because they were really being shot in barrels that mostly had all the wrong twist rates.

I seem to remember they claimed close to or over 4000 fps for the 30-06 which I think was a .224 55gr bullet . Of course those were the days of printing the velocity on the box but when you took the time to read the footnote it told you that it was out of a 26" test barrel !
View Quote

My dad used one to play a prank on his buddy when they were load testing in their Garands before a big HP match.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:57:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

My dad used one to play a prank on his buddy when they were load testing in their Garands before a big HP match.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I seem to remember they claimed close to or over 4000 fps for the 30-06 which I think was a .224 55gr bullet . Of course those were the days of printing the velocity on the box but when you took the time to read the footnote it told you that it was out of a 26" test barrel !

I hope your Dad wouldn't really load an out of spec round in his friends match grade M1.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:19:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I hope your Dad wouldn't really load an out of spec round in his friends match grade M1.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Out of spec?

My dad was shooting, friend was watching the Chrony printout. He fired several of his normal rounds, getting about 2600-2700fps, then he slipped in an Accelerator. When he fired, it sounded different, and he feigned shoulder pain. Friend looked him then at the printout that read about 3500fps and was rather concerned...

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:52:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I tried them in 30.06 and .308 30 years ago.  I did not have a single rifle they were accurate in.  At 25 yds. I got 3 and 4 inch groups.  My 742 Rem., 03A4, 03A3, M1917 (2 of them) and M1A shot patterns, not groups with them.

My wife's uncle had an old Savage pump 30-30 that shot them like a good squirrel rife.  Dime sized groups at 25 yds.  

I never knew why all my rifles (accurate with regular ammo) wouldn't shoot accelerators worth beans and that cheap old Savage shot them so well.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I think Remington still sells the sabots for reloading.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I tried them in 30.06 and .308 30 years ago.  I did not have a single rifle they were accurate in.  At 25 yds. I got 3 and 4 inch groups.  My 742 Rem., 03A4, 03A3, M1917 (2 of them) and M1A shot patterns, not groups with them.

My wife's uncle had an old Savage pump 30-30 that shot them like a good squirrel rife.  Dime sized groups at 25 yds.  

I never knew why all my rifles (accurate with regular ammo) wouldn't shoot accelerators worth beans and that cheap old Savage shot them so well.
View Quote

I mean, from a design perspective, my first thoughts were that they can't be very accurate.. I mean.. look at it.

Also, I have a question. I cycled a few rounds through the rifle to check the action. I didn't notice until the other day but the rounds I used now have, what looks to be, a faint firing pin dimple. Is this normal or even safe?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#19]
First (Not saying you did) Do not drop the hammer to the relaxed position and let it rest because it will push the firing pin tip against the primer, and that is why they are to be left on half cock with a round chambered.
Secondly if they are just light marks, that is normal according to all the winchester 94s I have noticed, and my own 1955 model.If they are a little more than light, give her a good cleaning to make sure the firing pin isn't sticking ahead a tad because of debris/dirt/grease etc.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
First (Not saying you did) Do not drop the hammer to the relaxed position and let it rest because it will push the firing pin tip against the primer, and that is why they are to be left on half cock with a round chambered.
Secondly if they are just light marks, that is normal according to all the winchester 94s I have noticed, and my own 1955 model.If they are a little more than light, give her a good cleaning to make sure the firing pin isn't sticking ahead a tad because of debris/dirt/grease etc.
View Quote

Yeah no dropping of the hammer here. Just simply left the hammer back and cycled a few rounds to make sure it all functions correctly. Seemed fairly light to me so I'll assume everything is okay. This all happened BEFORE I half-ass lubed it. (Just lubed most exterior parts.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top