Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2014 12:10:26 AM EDT

.44 mag Winchester 240 gr JSP fired from Marlin 1894 carbine into calibrated gelatin and calibrated tactical rain water.

BB: 594.1 fps, 3.4"

Gelatin test data:

Impact velocity: 1,848 fps
Penetration: 21.1"
Retained weight: 231.4 gr
Max expansion: 0.711"
Min expansion: 0.732"

Sorry about the cross section of the wound channel. This load really crushed the block and caused a substantial amount of disruption, especially in the first 10" or so. When I cut into the block for the cross section photo it practically fell apart. The photo really doesn't do justice to the damage that was done.

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:12:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Needs more gummy bear.

eta:  very cool though.  expansion looks great
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 9:30:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
...240 gr...
...1,848 fps...
View Quote

And that's with factory stuff that's typically optimized for handgun barrels. Loads using powders geared more toward rifle barrel lengths do even better.

Thanks for the vid. People often disbelieve me when I tell them that a .44 levergun will pretty much equal a .454 Casull revolver, but it's a fact. I guess they assume that the absence of shooter trauma means absence of ballistic effectiveness.

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And that's with factory stuff that's typically optimized for handgun barrels. Loads using powders geared more toward rifle barrel lengths do even better.

Thanks for the vid. People often disbelieve me when I tell them that a .44 levergun will pretty much equal a .454 Casull revolver, but it's a fact. I guess they assume that the absence of shooter trauma means absence of ballistic effectiveness.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
...240 gr...
...1,848 fps...

This may be why people continue to insist that 5.56mm isn't effective on people and medium sized game.

This was nearly perfect performance and, like you mention, it's just run of the mill factory stuff. Winchester white box is not usually considered the pinnacle of ammunition quality, either. I plan to do a few more of these tests with various factory ammunition and hand loads. There is a link at the end of the video that takes you to a test of the same ammunition fired from a revolver. In the future, I intend to combine the rifle and revolver tests into one video when it's possible. I'm particularly excited about a 300 gr XTP load that my friend who owns the rifle worked up.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll definitely be interested in the 300xtp test.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#5]
interesting, I get 1755fps from factory Hornady 240XTP 20" barrel.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://youtu.be/o-QZG07npn4

ipotato

.44 mag Winchester 240 gr JSP fired from Marlin 1894 carbine into calibrated gelatin and calibrated tactical rain water.

BB: 594.1 fps, 3.4"

Gelatin test data:

Impact velocity: 1,848 fps
Penetration: 21.1"
Retained weight: 231.4 gr
Max expansion: 0.711"
Min expansion: 0.732"

Sorry about the cross section of the wound channel. This load really crushed the block and caused a substantial amount of disruption, especially in the first 10" or so. When I cut into the block for the cross section photo it practically fell apart. The photo really doesn't do justice to the damage that was done.

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top