Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2014 10:59:49 PM EDT
I'm thinking about getting one does anyone here have one? How do you like it?
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:23:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one years ago in 44-40. It shot accurately but the slot for the magazine tube spring was almost razor sharp. I guess you could dehorn it if they are still like that.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the all steel blued version in .45 Colt that I use for cowboy action shooting. It is a bit nose heavy and not as fast as the 73's, but it works great for me. It does have two issues that you need to remember, one is the exposed follower will hit your hand when shooting, so you have to re-adjust your grip when that happens. The other is you need to take care when loading the rifle. I tilt mine at a 45 degree angle and then gently lower the follower onto the last bullet. We had a another shooter forget to do that and he had the cartridges slam into each other with enough force to have several of them go off in the tube....

Here is mine:

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#3]
My pard has one . It is a nice piece and if you want one get one
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't like the balance of my friend's 1860 rifle nor the lack of a handguard and side loading gate and I found it a bit awkward to shoot. However, I do like the quality and finish so when I decided to get another one, I got Uberti's
1866 Yellowboy carbine and it's just right for me.

Like mic214, I got mine in 45 colt to match my Uberti 1873 Special Sporting rifle which is also a 45 colt. I've only got a few hundred rds through the Yellowboy vs about 1,200 through my '73 but already I really like the way the carbine shoots.  

The flip up rear sight is simple but effective as down it's good for 100yds, flipped up using the notch at the bottom of the aperture works for 200yds, centering in the aperture works for 300yds and the top notch works for 400yds with my standard level 255grn handloads.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 11:22:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree with the above post . The fore stock and loading gate in a 66 are improvements for sure .
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 12:48:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I would opt for the '73 over either the Henry or '66. In addition to the improvements mentioned for the '66, the '73 is the only one of the three with a lever safety to prevent firing out of battery. Also the action side plate removal is much improved on the '73 making stripping for a thorough cleaning much easier. This is particularly important when using black powder.

Also, if you might ever contemplate the use of black powder, the .44-40 case design lets much less powder fouling blow back into the action than straight cases like the .45 Colt.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 1:39:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I just love the look of the 1860 is it okay to shoot with smokeless powder or will it not be able to handle the pressure? Yea I read that about loading it don't slam it. I personally think it's the nicest looking gun ever :)
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just love the look of the 1860 is it okay to shoot with smokeless powder or will it not be able to handle the pressure? Yea I read that about loading it don't slam it. I personally think it's the nicest looking gun ever :)
View Quote

anything new will handle smokeless loads fine.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:51:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

As long as you keep the pressure at standard levels as I mentioned above.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#10]
My Pard shoots black powder cartridges in his .
A glove is required in such circumstance .
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I would opt for the '73 over either the Henry or '66. In addition to the improvements mentioned for the '66, the '73 is the only one of the three with a lever safety to prevent firing out of battery. Also the action side plate removal is much improved on the '73 making stripping for a thorough cleaning much easier. This is particularly important when using black powder.
Also, if you might ever contemplate the use of black powder, the .44-40 case design lets much less powder fouling blow back into the action than straight cases like the .45 Colt.
View Quote

While I agree in principle with the above in that I enjoyed my 73 so much I thought I was set up for good, however, when I scratched the itch for a Yellowboy, I found that it had it's own unique attraction.  Now I get a kick out of shooting both of them as well as my 2 Rossi 357mags; a 24" rifle I with tang and globe sights I use for up to 300yd shooting and a 20" carbine that is light, fast, and compact to take woods walking.
I thought long and hard about which caliber I wanted for my '73, 45 colt vs 44-40. For me, black powder is just too messy and too much trouble to handload to consider.  (I have a Dillon 650 w/casefeeder and black powder is definitely NOT a good idea with it.)  I understand that the 44-40 is an original caliber and that the thinner walled brass allows for a better case seal when fired.  
I also could get the companion Uberti SA Army I have in 44-40 too instead of the 45 colt I got.  It's just that the 45 colt sort of called to me as a fun caliber in that down the road, I could pick up a Rossi rifle to allow me to load up full power 45 colt loads to provide some real 'smack down' power should I decide to go for some hog hunting some day.   In addition, the larger bore means that the big, heavy 24" barreled '73 weighs less with a .45 caliber hole down it vs the .429 caliber hole of the 44-40.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My Pard shoots black powder cartridges in his .
A glove is required in such circumstance .
View Quote

I borrowed another shooter's Uberti 1860 Henry in .44-40 shooting BP loads for the first CAS match I shot many years ago. It was a good match for the pair of 1858 Remington's I used back then. Yes, the newer models are an improvement over the Henry design, but I like the uniqueness of it.

I don't know why you would need a glove for BP loads. None of us wore them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:44:58 PM EDT
[#13]
while I don't own a Uberti Henry, the few of them that I've shot have handled great.

granted after shooting about 50 rounds through my cousin's Henry rifle I decided that while the Henry is a neat rifle I'd sooner have a '73 Winchester. I ended up going that route
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Haven't had an 1860, but I agree they're beautiful, unique rifles. I have however had a couple of '66 Yellowboys. The first was in 44-40 and since it was already used, I fired it some. Fun, fun, fun and pretty darned accurate even at 200 yds.:

I picked this one up a while back (45 Colt) and am trying to sell it before the flesh weakens and I fire it!

So, someone please hurry over to the Equipment Exchange and relieve me of this rifle!

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Ggibs:  Go shoot it!

I've got a 45 colt 19" Yellowboy carbine to go along with my 45 colt 24" 1873 Special Sporting rifle and both are great fun to shoot.  You aught to break down and give your Yellowboy a go.  A 255grn Elmer Keith style lead bullet over 9.1grn of unique is a fun load to shoot in both as well as my Uberti 1873 Cattleman SAA.  At 17¢ per round, it's cheap fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#16]
....and oh by the way, with 28 grains of ffg behind a 255 grain .45 Colt bullet be ready for a very warm barrel in CAS or NSSA shooting....and clean up?  Lengthy...coolness of shooting black powder in the gun?  The best!
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:04:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I have several lever guns, including a '66. None of them compare to the coolness that the Henry exudes. Match it up with a cap and ball revolver and live happily.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have several lever guns, including a '66. None of them compare to the coolness that the Henry exudes. Match it up with a cap and ball revolver and live happily.
View Quote

+1

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:57:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Spaxspore, did you antique those yourself?  If so, how?

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:48:58 PM EDT
[#20]
If I'm chasing speed at our local CAS matches, I shoot my short-stroked '66 but if I'm going for style points, I break out my Henry. It never fails to draw comments from my fellow shooters even though they've seen it fairly regularly in the past few years.  I've posted these pics before but will do so again in case you haven't seen them.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:28:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

no

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5582/14787140151_88c59caec9_b.jpg

Damn.  How easy is it to locate .44 rimfire to feed that thing
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5582/14787140151_88c59caec9_b.jpg

considering one .44 henry round is $80-100 well.. you can guess how easy it is. Funny thing she is fully functional for being over 150 years old.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top