Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2014 12:58:22 AM EDT
I want to ad a 357 lever gun to my collection.
I don't know much about them.
I want it to have a 16 to 20" barrel,
I want a smooth auction,
I don't want a octagon barrel,
Light Wight,
Accurate,
High quality,
I want to have it threaded for a can.

I have no set budget.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:33:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I want to ad a 357 lever gun to my collection.
I don't know much about them.
I want it to have a 16 to 20" barrel,
I want a smooth auction,
I don't want a octagon barrel,
Light Wight,
Accurate,
High quality,
I want to have it threaded for a can.

I have no budget.
View Quote

If you are going to do this, get a Rossi and have an action job done on it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:43:39 AM EDT
[#2]
What do you mean you have no budget???  You have just a little to spend or money's no object?  The finest lever action .357 ever made was the Browning B92, a '92 Winchester made by Miroku for Browning back in the '80's.  But if you're wanting to put a can on it you'll need to get a pre-safety Marlin or have a '92 drilled and tapped for a side scope mount because the sights won't clear the top of the can.  You might also look for an early angle eject '94 Winchester in .357, hard to find, as you can mount a scope on top of that model.

Do you already have a can?  Suppressing a regular .357 load accomplishes very little except to eliminate the muzzle blast and flash, they're still pretty loud downrange. Another problem you'll have is that you'll have to have the magazine shortened to allow for the threading of the barrel for the can.  This will have to be done on any lever action .357 that I'm aware of.

Rob
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#3]
you want a lot with zero budget. - please elaborate to your meaning.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:02:33 AM EDT
[#4]
While I'm a fan of the Rossi/Puma guns, I'd have to agree that the B92 was pretty much the top-end of 1892-design production guns. They were awesome. Of current production guns, I'd likely have to say the Marlin is the 'highest quality' of current production stuff; at least if the current marlin stuff is as good as they used to be. I prefer the '92 design over the '94 though, and marlin doesn't do 92's.

As said above, using the iron sights can be a problem (or an impossibility) depending on your suppressor. I could use my iron sights with my abraxas in placee, but the abraxas is narrower than most .357/9mm suppressors are.

Threading can be a complication as the magazine tube on many leverguns goes flush to the end of the barrel. I had to have my mag tube shortened slightly to allow threading. Not a huge, critical thing; just something that added work & cost.

With Lone Wolf thread protector in place:

On accuracy, can't say one from another. Will likely depend on bullet weights, bullet velocity, etc.

On weight, a 16" in .357 or .44 is a phenomenal choice imo. It's literally the size of a 10-22 length-wise, and actually slightly slimmer in width. In heavier calibers, I like a 20" barrel, but in these lighter calibers, I personally prefer the lighter - and more brush-friendly - shorter barrels. (When I say 'light calibers', keep in mind that that's a very subjective thing. A 16" .357 magnum is no pipsqueak; roughly equaling a .44 magnum handgun power-wise.)

On smooth actions, while I've never used a Henry, they have a very good reputation for smooth functioning. Frankly, they look odd to me, but I've already admitted being a '92 snob, and the Henry's '73 design just seems delicate and primitive to me. Subjective and based on zero personal experience with them I confess; they do have a very strong following with people that actually use them. Probably just goes back to my personal preference for the 92 design over the 94 or 73 either one.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I was going to say the Browning B92, but not if your gonna butcher it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 12:40:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree that the Browning B92 is a great choice, however, in 357mag,
many are a bit picky on shooting 38spl ammo and they are definitely on
the spendy side.  I also agree with P08 that if you're going to thread it for a can, I'd suggest a cheaper version.

I have 2 Rossis in 357mag and have performed action / trigger jobs on 3 Rossis with excellent results using Steve's$58 kit including the DVD and parts.  Your
Rossi will have an excellent action and likely be as smooth as a Browning or Henry
with a good trigger pull for a levergun.  In addition, it will be light, slim, and
provide excellent accuracy.  

My 24" 357mag with a tang rear sight and
globe front allows me to plink at 8" steel plates at 200 yds or 4"
plates at 100 yds with confidence.  It's even relatively accurate at 300
yds as long as the wind isn't getting up there.
It has some significant advantages over the Henry 357mag too.  First, it
weighs significantly less than the Henry Big Boy (5lbs 0oz vs 8lbs
11oz), and Second, it has a side loading gate while the Henry loads like
a 22lr rifle, pull out a mag tube and drop the rounds down the
magazine.  

Further, the Rossi has advantages over the Japanese produced
'Japchester' in that it has the original Winchester action which
includes a half cock safety rather than the rebounding hammer and tang
safety the lawyer influenced, Japanese built Winchester comes with.

Finally, it is significantly cheaper than the Browning, even including the cost of the action / trigger job and shoots just as well.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 12:42:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I think he means that the price can be what it is, he hasn't a limit on the price.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think he means that the price can be what it is, he hasn't a limit on the price.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ah ok. When then a modified rossi with an action job.. or a 1892 as suggested above would probably be his best bet.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:36:03 PM EDT
[#9]
It costs what it costs.  Aka no budget.

I want it threaded for one of my 9mm cans, I want to run subs 38spc,

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:08:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's primarily what I do in mine. Fwiw, the .38spl WW/USA 130-grain fmj-fp have been pretty good performers in mine. Jacketed so no leading issues, flatpoint for better 'thump' on nuisance critters than with normal fmj; and it's just barely subsonic in my 16" barrel so it's as quiet as my GAMO pellet gun, even though it's putting out around 45acp ball power.

Most of what I shoot in mine are my subsonic reloads, but the USA 130 gets more use than any other factory load.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I picked up a rossi 92 a while back just to mess around with, and ended up getting it threaded. Ive been happy with it. hard to beat it for the price. also i can just barely see my iron sights over my 9mm can. potato pic:
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:56:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It costs what it costs.  Aka no budget.

View Quote

I was going with a 9mm, then decided a 45 can would serve better across the caliber selection, we have.  Went with an older rossi 92, the front sight is part of the bbl band, cutting the mag tube was minimal alteration wise. My smith in COHTF, Hockeysew , handled the thread and crown.
Regarding the action, Steve's video is worth the price of admission. I did a little more by cleaning up those rough edges / machining marks in the receiver. It's nice having it on hand. This way if or when you get sidetracked, you're not staring at it mildly stressing over something you may have forgotten, it happens.
I need some range time , to get suppressor load development taken care of.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top