Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2014 3:51:43 PM EDT
I have been thinking about getting a new Marlin 336 or 1895 lever action. I know that since Remington took them over, they had quality issues. Has anyone picked up a new one recently or looked one over? Any opinions?

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole, but I have seen some reports of good ones slipping out once in a while.

Educate yourself on problem areas and inspect any potential purchase very carefully.  Off the top of my head here are some things I've seen.

* canted sights, very common
* loose sights, I once saw a rack full of Marlin 45-70s are Cabelas, half were missing the front sight, the other half you could push the front sight out of it's dovetail with finger pressure only.
* horrible wood to metal fit and/or wood finish
* extremely rough action
* feeding issues

I have heard of issues with the barrel, rifling and constrictions, but have not seen this myself.

There are plenty of older, authentic Marlins out there.  I'd find one of these and call it good.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:23:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Personally I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole, but I have seen some reports of good ones slipping out once in a while.

Educate yourself on problem areas and inspect any potential purchase very carefully.  Off the top of my head here are some things I've seen.

* canted sights, very common
* loose sights, I once saw a rack full of Marlin 45-70s are Cabelas, half were missing the front sight, the other half you could push the front sight out of it's dovetail with finger pressure only.
* horrible wood to metal fit and/or wood finish
* extremely rough action
* feeding issues

I have heard of issues with the barrel, rifling and constrictions, but have not seen this myself.

There are plenty of older, authentic Marlins out there.  I'd find one of these and call it good.

View Quote

They have certainly improved in the past year or two, but they are not up to the 'golden era of Marlin' standard.... then again, Marlin toward the end of the JM stamp wasn't up to the 'Golden Era of Marlin' standard either.
Do check the things listed in the quote above.  I lucked(?) into an 1895 .45-70 Remlin built that is just a hair shy of my pre-safety Marlins.  I did go through the entire stock the store had of .45-70 Marlins (about a dozen of various models) and cherry picked the best of the supply...
Of that dozen, at least four should never have left the factory. Four had issues that while obvious, weren't safety / function issues... two or three were merely o.k. with some visual flaws... and 1 was just shy of perfect.  It's in my safe currently alongside several of it's older cousins.
I picked that gun up during the height of the "Man, WTF did Remington do to Marlin?"... it's been flawless since I purchased it.  I stripped it down and cleaned it good.   Polished off a burr or two and have been shooting it happily for the past few years now.

I looked at some current production Marlins recently... they were better then when I bought that 1895 a few years ago, but some flaws in fit / finish were still visible.

TL:DR.... I wouldn't buy one you could not hand inspect prior to laying cash out.  I would say these days that 35-40% of the Marlins on the rack are 'nice'... 35-40% are OK with some QC issues... and about 20% have serious flaws that shouldn't have left the factory.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked up an 1895SBL that was built sometime last year.
It's flawless. Good wood fit, smooth action, good sights. I also checked the reciever for the cracks some have found.
Just handle it first or buy from a trusted shop.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:50:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Bought a 1895 GS a month ago. Made 1/14. It has been back to Remington TWICE. The first time they did a shit job fixing it, and it is currently there now. Buy at your own risk.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:04:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn I want an 1895 sbl so bad. These posts are making me second guess buying one.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Bought a 1895 GS a month ago. Made 1/14. It has been back to Remington TWICE. The first time they did a shit job fixing it, and it is currently there now. Buy at your own risk.
View Quote

Wow - their service must be spectacular if you returned it to Remington, they fixed it and sent it back to you, and you already sent it back to them to fix it right. From what I have seen, they usually take at least a month to turn one around.
OP - check out marlinowners.com for a wealth of info.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#7]
FPNI.  I own at least half a dozen pre-Remlins.  The one and only Marlin I purchased that was a Remlin gun, I sent back for repair due to a severely canted front sight mount...got it back worse than it went in, and then spent the next 6 months attempting to get my money back.  I finally did, and I will never purchase another Remington product ever again in my life.  They took a legendary brand and absolutely ruined it.  Fucking bastards.

Find a good used one before Remington shit all over the Marlin brand for the same amount of money.  You will be much, much happier.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:35:54 AM EDT
[#8]
It's absolutely disgusting what Remington has done to the Marlin name. My 2007 Marlin made 1895 GS, and the 2014 made Remlin are so far apart in quality it's disturbing. People were starting to say that Marlin is back, and the quality of the Remlins is much better now.....it's basically bullshit. You may get a good one, but the chances are better that you will get a junk one.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I saw a new one reason to reject one today, I don't remember the model but it was a stainless/laminated stock 1895 (45-70).  One of the holes for the front sight base was drilled all the way thru to the bore.  I handed it back to the clerk and didn't look any further.

No Remlins for me, despite any good press they may get.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:29:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I saw a new one reason to reject one today, I don't remember the model but it was a stainless/laminated stock 1895 (45-70).  One of the holes for the front sight base was drilled all the way thru to the bore.  I handed it back to the clerk and didn't look any further.

No Remlins for me, despite any good press they may get.
View Quote

Wow. Bet that gun wasn't too accurate when they proofed it.

I recall seeing a thread on Marlin Owners of a Rossi .454 where the barrel / mag tube connection point on the barrel was milled to tinfoil thickness on the barrel....
Also have personally seen a Ruger 10/22 barrel (believe it was aftermarket, possibly bubba smithing) with same issue... Screw hills tapped into the bore.

That is one thing I do look for when a rifle has anything milled or tapped into the chamber or barrel... Factory or otherwise.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:07:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought an 1895 GBL about a year ago. The front sight is canted ever so slightly (but you can't tell with the naked eye), but then so are real Marlins and most revolvers, including S&W...torqueing the barrel (which aligns the front sight post) is the hardest job in all of gunsmithing. The stock fit wasn't great and the checkering sucked, but I replaced the stock with the gray laminate I bought directly from Remington. The checkering was very good but the fit sucked, though I was able to sand/refinish it and now it's perfect.

The action is great. The rifle shoots .5 MOA with a scope or 1 MOA with a skinner peep sight. The bluing is gorgeous the gun feeds perfectly every time. I love the rifle and wouldn't trade it for anything.

I didn't look particularly hard either...bought the first one I saw at Dicks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top