Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2014 11:42:04 PM EDT
Recently, one of my coworkers was telling me about an old rifle his Grandpa had left him, he isn't a "gun guy" by any stretch but really wanted to get this old girl up and running. I offered to clean it up for him and see if I could figure how old it really was just for cheap entertainment! So here's the specs:

Marlin Model 93
Marked "The Marlin Firearms Corporation, New Haven Conn. U.S.A-Patented " (no patent date), and "Special Smokeless Steel" and "30-30" on the barrel
"Marlin Safety" on top of the receiver
SN is 141X on the bottom tang.
Unfortunately someone added a Pachmayr pad on it

She cleaned up really nicely! Action is super smooth and the trigger is awesome on this old girl. A concern he raised was apparently Grandpa said NOT to use modern ammunition in it, info on whether or not that's an issue would be appreciated as well. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#1]
You are fine to use modern 30-30 through it as long as you are using something close to a factory load. That rifle was designed around the smokeless 30-30.  Shoot away
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:58:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are fine to use modern 30-30 through it as long as you are using something close to a factory load. That rifle was designed around the smokeless 30-30.  Shoot away
View Quote

Bingo. If the gun is sound, modern .30wcf (.30-30 if you prefer) is loaded to the same pressures as it was back then. Alot of those old rifles floating around, and the modern loads take that into account.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:58:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bingo. If the gun is sound, modern .30wcf (.30-30 if you prefer) is loaded to the same pressures as it was back then. Alot of those old rifles floating around, and the modern loads take that into account.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#4]
What does the bore look like ? Any chance it was rechambered ?  Otherwise as others said modern ammo is fine
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:06:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What does the bore look like ? Any chance it was rechambered ?  Otherwise as others said modern ammo is fine
View Quote

Bore is perfect, no corrosion. Thinking it will be fine in that regard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top