Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2014 10:41:21 PM EDT
My nephew wants to trade me his Marlin 1895SS 45/70, no crossbar safety, Microgrove barrel as partial payment for a rifle he's buying from me.
I don't need it and will flip it but I don't want to loose money either since I'm making him a deal on the rifle I'm selling him.
Bluing is about 75-80% with some finish wear on the wood and mechanically solid.

What should I credit him for this rifle, I'm thinking $350-400.  What say the experts.

Thanks,

Old Marine

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 2:57:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll give you $350 for it
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 6:38:08 AM EDT
[#2]
About $1700 here in England
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 7:00:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Might be a bit low at $375 . Around my area the North Haven Marlins are pretty much commanding premiums . Of course condition is everything .

Not like anybody in my area needs a 45/70 but guys still want them and generally they don't want anything to do with the Remlins (even though the current crop is supposed to be way better than the early ones)

I generally go by the theory that among friends a fair price should split wholesale/retail down the middle and on your gun with some wear I am thinking that to be about $425-$450

About 4 years ago I bought a nearly new North Haven built 45/70 at a discount dealer for $575 . The condition of my gun is better than yours but prices have gone up a bit in the past 4 years.

Don't be so sure you are going to flip it , there is really nothing quite like a 45/70 lever gun , they are usable for lots of stuff and just a plain hoot to have just as a messing around gun .
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 9:02:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Might be a bit low at $375 . Around my area the North Haven Marlins are pretty much commanding premiums . Of course condition is everything .

Not like anybody in my area needs a 45/70 but guys still want them and generally they don't want anything to do with the Remlins (even though the current crop is supposed to be way better than the early ones)

I generally go by the theory that among friends a fair price should split wholesale/retail down the middle and on your gun with some wear I am thinking that to be about $425-$450

About 4 years ago I bought a nearly new North Haven built 45/70 at a discount dealer for $575 . The condition of my gun is better than yours but prices have gone up a bit in the past 4 years.

Don't be so sure you are going to flip it , there is really nothing quite like a 45/70 lever gun , they are usable for lots of stuff and just a plain hoot to have just as a messing around gun .
View Quote

Well....I have always wanted to suppress a 45/70 but I'd have to research sub-sonic loads first.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 5:17:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I offered my nephew $400 and he insisted that it's worth $600, hope he can get it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#6]
400 was a good offer on your part.  I picked up one in better shape a few months ago for 425.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 12:17:34 AM EDT
[#7]
If you're cutting him a deal, and he wants market, well let him sell it to someone else for $600.

edit- at $600 you wont be able to recoup on a flip
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 6:04:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you're cutting him a deal, and he wants market, well let him sell it to someone else for $600.

View Quote

I told my nephew that much, he lives near Ft. Campbell so if he waits till just before deer season he could probably get it from some soldier.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I told my nephew that much, he lives near Ft. Campbell so if he waits till just before deer season he could probably get it from some soldier.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That... or sell it via an FFL into Ohio... they recently made straight wall cased rifles kewl for deer use.
.45/70 and other leverguns are hot in the Buckeye state currently.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 11:49:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That... or sell it via an FFL into Ohio... they recently made straight wall cased rifles kewl for deer use.
.45/70 and other leverguns are hot in the Buckeye state currently.
View Quote

I am in Ohio and can tell you this, lever guns, particularly Marlins are in short supply. I all ready had a 1895G in 45-70 but wanted a 44Mag and just paid thru the nose for a nice 1894. Most guys would snag the 45-70 just because.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 2:13:37 AM EDT
[#11]
In N. Texas and S. Oklahoma most people ask stupid prices for used guns.  One like you are describing I have no doubt someone would ask within $100 of a new rifle.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:59:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Not sure where you are looking, but gunbroker is a good gauge of what things are selling at. There is a SS marlin 45-70 that is at $680 with multiple bids. $300 - $400 is a steal for a decent SS marlin. IMO.  You should off $600, that is a good deal for both of you.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#13]
In central KS you would be hard pressed to get that rifle for less than $550. No crossbolt safety, so it is a genuine Marlin, stainless steel. A very good rifle. If you are just buying it to flip, then pass; if you are buying it because you want one, $600 is not too much. I would never let $50-100 stop me from buying a gun that I really want.

I just re-read the OP's post. I thought that SS indicated that it was a stainless model. Also see now that he just wants to flip it. I don't know how I missed that the first time, but knowing that now, my advice is just forget it and let him sell it for as much as he can get to someone who wants it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 9:48:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Sell online.

Guys in Ohio will climb all over it.  Can't even stock 45-70s right now in most stores.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#15]
He is a little high but not out of hand high. There is no room for you to flip it at $600
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
He is a little high but not out of hand high. There is no room for you to flip it at $600
View Quote

$450 max ---- i agree .       Everybody thinks their stuff is made of gold nowadays
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top