BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2013 6:40:40 PM EDT
Are these any good?
Older 80s era gun for sale from a buddy
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 6:48:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I've owned the original and the newer golden39a. They are both great guns. Only problem I ever had was with the older one. The tube that holds the rounds came out about 1/4 inch from the reciever. I tapped it back in and press fit the end that's supposed to hold it in place. Never had a problem with it after that.

It's a really fun gun to shoot open sights. Don't put a scope on it, it ruins the fun :)

They are worth a lot of money too. If you don't want it, I'll take it ;)
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Great gun and a classic,it is the longest produced gun in the world I believe and one of Annie Oakley favorites. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlin_Model_Golden_39A

It is one of my favorite rifles.Whats he asking for it ? They are getting pricey so if it's a good deal you should snatch it up fast.

Edit to add - I scoped mine because you cant hit what you cant see.

Link Posted: 12/27/2013 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Possibly the best 22 ever made.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Possibly the best 22 ever made.
View Quote

This. By far the best lever action 22 made!
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 8:32:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't hesitate they are great rifles  I love them my uncle had a medallioned sqiurrel edition it was awesome
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 2:56:30 AM EDT
[#6]
The Marlin 39/39A is an icon.  A cross bolt safety was added in 1983.  The pre-cross bolt safety Marlin's are considered more desirable/valuable.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 3:12:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are these any good?
Older 80s era gun for sale from a buddy
View Quote

IMO, they rank among the top five or ten .22 rifles ever made. And I mean that. Whatever .22 rifle you can think of . . . Anschutz, Winchester 52, whatever . . . the Marlin 39A merits mention in any list of classic .22 rifles. It's certainly the best of its breed. There is no finer .22 lever action rifle and this rifle will hold its own with .22 rifles of other types.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 4:14:29 AM EDT
[#8]
What Bladeswitcher said.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 5:45:33 AM EDT
[#9]
It's serial number is C17325

Any idea of the age ?
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 6:00:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Any idea of the age ?
View Quote

http://oldguns.net/sn_php/marlinlookup.php
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 6:01:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Any idea of the age ?
View Quote
From what I can gather over at Marlinowners.com it was made in 1945 or 1946.

If it's in good shape I'd grab it up !

Link Posted: 12/28/2013 6:04:32 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Any idea of the age ?

http://oldguns.net/sn_php/marlinlookup.php

Newer guns don't have a letter before the number,so the subtract from 100 doesn't work.

Large C is 1945 small c is 1946.

Link Posted: 12/28/2013 6:13:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Some more info ,Marlin stopped production of the 39 during WWII,and started producing them with parts from 1941 that had a B prefix. The 1945 models were case hardened receivers from the old stock the rifles were built with.The 1946 models were blued.

Link Posted: 12/31/2013 5:25:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I have one that was made in 1965 (AA) It's one of my all time favorite rifles and one of the last weapons I would ever sell.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 5:32:14 AM EDT
[#15]
They are great guns and fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 6:50:57 AM EDT
[#16]
My first gun at age 12.  Christmas present from my dad.  I'll never part with it.  Scoped it during my teen years and its a tack driver.  I have read many posts about how Marlin's quality has dropped, so I'd like to hear more about the current ones vs. the Henry .22's.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 9:40:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a 1967 vintage 39A that I inherited from my dad.  It was the accuracy standard against which every other .22 rifle was judged, and it's still the champ.

I also have this 39M Octagon from 1973, only made for one year so they are pretty scarce.

Link Posted: 12/31/2013 10:47:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I have a 1967 vintage 39A that I inherited from my dad.  It was the accuracy standard against which every other .22 rifle was judged, and it's still the champ.

I also have this 39M Octagon from 1973, only made for one year so they are pretty scarce.

http://i.imgur.com/iR6eI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vuFhM.jpg

View Quote

Man that's a nice 39 !!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My first gun at age 12.  Christmas present from my dad.  I'll never part with it.  Scoped it during my teen years and its a tack driver.  I have read many posts about how Marlin's quality has dropped, so I'd like to hear more about the current ones vs. the Henry .22's.
View Quote

Like everything else in the world Marlin quality has dropped since WWII.
There were some serious problems when Remington bought Marlin out a couple of years ago, but they seem to have corrected that.

The new Marlin has a lighter American Walnut stock versus the older darker walnut.
The new model has a rebounding hammer and a cross bolt safety, which is a sin to traditionalists but does make the rifle safer for new owners.

The Marlin is still made of solid forged and milled steel and American walnut, is the most accurate .22 lever rifle ever made, and is a "legacy rifle" that your great grand kids will be fighting over.
Given even moderate care it will last for generations.
It's accuracy is legendary, and the rifle itself is an American legend.
It has an absolute solid steel feel with none of the flimsy feel of most modern .22 rifles.
It will be worth more than you paid for it in coming years no matter how much you shoot it.

The Henry is made of stamped and cast metals.  The "receiver" is actually a sheet metal cover that fits over the actual action.
It's reasonably accurate, but is not a legacy rifle and after years of use it'll be looking ratty and worn.
It probably won't be around to be passing it down in 50 years.
Value drops with the first shot and it will be worth less each year.

The Henry is an excellent shooter and a good ordinary rifle especially for the price.
The Marlin is an institution like the pre-1964 Winchester Model 70, the Colt Single Action, the Colt 1911, and Browning shotguns.

Given a choice on Marlin's, buy a nice older model made before the 1980's,
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There were some serious problems when Remington bought Marlin out a couple of years ago, but they seem to have corrected that.

The new Marlin has a lighter American Walnut stock versus the older darker walnut.
The new model has a rebounding hammer and a cross bolt safety, which is a sin to traditionalists but does make the rifle safer for new owners.

The Marlin is still made of solid forged and milled steel and American walnut, is the most accurate .22 lever rifle ever made, and is a "legacy rifle" that your great grand kids will be fighting over.
It has an absolute solid steel feel with none of the flimsy feel of most modern .22 rifles.
It will be worth more than you paid for it in coming years no matter how much you shoot it.

The Henry is made of stamped and cast metals.  The "receiver" is actually a sheet metal cover that fits over the actual action.
It's reasonably accurate, but is not a legacy rifle and after years of use it'll be looking ratty and worn.

The Henry is an excellent shooter and a good ordinary rifle especially for the price.
The Marlin is an institution like the pre-1964 Winchester Model 70, the Colt Single Action, the Colt 1911, and Browning shotguns.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this + 1,000,000
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 2:24:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I will add that I grew up shooting my older brother's 39A and I now own a 39A Mountie, but I respect the Winchester 9422 as a worthy firearm as well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 6:23:04 AM EDT
[#22]
In general, agree the 39s are the best lever 22s ever.  In 1972 Winchester introduced the 9422.  I think 9422s were better made than Marlins during the heyday of the 9422.  And I do not like the later crossbolt 39s.  

But there is nothing in the .22 levergun universe to compare with a prewar 1891 or a prewar to early postwar 39.  

Sam
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 6:25:19 AM EDT
[#23]
My Marlin 39A is the first gun I got as a teenager in 1963. In the 60’s it saw thousands of rounds through it, enough to kill accuracy of the barrel. When I got it in ’63 one decision was 39A or Mountie. Testing the Mountie against my old 39A showed the degradation of the accuracy of the 39A. I finally got the barrel replaced by the factory, fortunately before the move. Now the accuracy of both is identical: very nice indeed.

A few years ago I also found an older 9422 in pretty good shape. While it is a very nice gun, I still prefer the 39A.

I have no experience with the Henry rifles beyond holding them in the store. They are nice and smooth, but IMO the design and construction isn’t comparable to the Marlins or the Winchester. The accuracy is supposed to be pretty good though.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 9:29:38 AM EDT
[#24]
I would grab it quick. I picked up one about a year ago at a show and paid $375 out the door for it.

It was made in 1952 and is's one year older than me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 11:47:31 AM EDT
[#25]
As others have said, one of the greatest .22 ever made. I have 2 of them, both serial #'s start with K, 1953.

It would be wrong not to show them off wouldn't it? (Top one is a 1894, disregard that one. Only picture I had.)

Quoted:

Any idea of the age ?
View Quote

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126777
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#26]
My Marlin 39A Golden is one of the finest rifles I own.  It was manufactured the same year I was born and is in far better condition than me!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top