Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2013 6:45:20 PM EDT
What factory ammo do you all find to be what these like best?

I have some of the Remington 405gr flat nose.  I am thinking of trying the Winchester 300 gr JHP and trying the 300 gr Win. Ballistic Silvertip.  Any thoughts on those?

I want to try the Hornady Leverevolution 325 gr., but I read a review on Bass Pro's site where a guy said he was shooting a Guide Gun with this and the casings were sticking in the chamber.  He said he called Marlin and said he he was told by them that that ammo needs a different type of extractor?  Anyone know anything on this?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 12:58:28 AM EDT
[#1]
My 1895SBL shoots the Hornady's fine, but I prefer the Rem 405's.  They're very accurate and more pleasant to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 1:28:14 AM EDT
[#2]
The LE 325gr shoot fine in mine, but I do prefer something heavier.  405 is the go to round for me, but I load my own to get the most out of them.  My problem with the Rem 405s is that they're overpriced and underpowered.

I just got some Cast Performance 460s that should be interesting....

Link Posted: 8/3/2013 2:58:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I have only used LeverEvolution in my 1895G and haven't had any uses. I haven't shot much though and only at paper so I don't know how it works on animals. It was the only reasonably prices .45-70 ammo I could find.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 3:16:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok you asked about factory ammo but with 45/70 you really need to consider hand loading.

You don't have to go nuts , any basic single stage press , even used is going to be fine .

The straight case of the 45/70 keeps things pretty simple and it happens to be one of those calibers where the cost of components as compared to factory loads is a huge difference.

The big savings is the cast bullets . Buy them on line at 20 -40 cents each as compared to something close to a buck each for jacketed heads when you can find them.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 3:33:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok you asked about factory ammo but with 45/70 you really need to consider hand loading.

You don't have to go nuts , any basic single stage press , even used is going to be fine .

The straight case of the 45/70 keeps things pretty simple and it happens to be one of those calibers where the cost of components as compared to factory loads is a huge difference.

The big savings is the cast bullets . Buy them on line at 20 -40 cents each as compared to something close to a buck each for jacketed heads when you can find them.
View Quote

The 45/70 is a gun for reloading it will save you some money. I have been shooting the new Hornady bullets in my Marlin and have not have any issues. I do not see why changing the bullet would effect the extraction of the empty case. sounds like gun store talk.

Great gun have fun
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 4:39:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The 45/70 is a gun for reloading it will save you some money. I have been shooting the new Hornady bullets in my Marlin and have not have any issues. I do not see why changing the bullet would effect the extraction of the empty case. sounds like gun store talk.

Great gun have fun
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Great gun have fun

This.

Another gun store myth is that you need to "upgrade" your follower for one designed for LeverEvolution bullets.  Remember that all but one of your bullets will be pressing against the case head in front of it in the mag tube, so some special follower would only be in contact with the first round.  Save your money.
ETA:  One thing you may hear that is true is that the LE case length is shorter than standard spec.  This is true, and Hornady did that to allow for the additional length of the FTX bullet.  This fact only matters if you if you start reloading, if you do start keep your LE cases separate.

Link Posted: 8/3/2013 4:15:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Took the rifle out this afternoon and shot a box of the Rem. 405 through it.  It functioned great.  

We set up an 8" metal plate out at 100 yards+ and was hitting the plate with the stock open sights.  Recoil really wasn't too bad, definitely glad I went with the Marlin and heavier weapon over the Rossi RG.  My 13 year old handled it well.  I really enjoyed it, so glad I found it.

I told my wife to consider it my mid-life crisis, instead of getting a sports car or an affair, I got this instead!  
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 8:32:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the Federal 300 grain JHP, I got a fair amount of it with a guide gun that I bought.  Have killed one deer and several hogs with that load, no complaints.

I also like the Remington 405 grain load, but it doesn't seem as accurate.  I haven't shot very much of it.

I also got some of the Hornady LE ammo with the guide gun, used it on a big Kansas buck.  It killed the deer, but the bullet came apart and didn't penetrate very far.  I found the jacket and a chunk of the lead core, the rest fragmented inside the deer.  I was completely unimpressed and sold the other 3 boxes I had of this ammo. YMMV

Bobcat & Deer taken with the Federal 300 grain load

Link Posted: 8/4/2013 8:37:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for the Federal 300 gr. pill. It's a Speer SP and is a bonded core. I run the Fed 300's when I'm not using BB 430gr LFN.
Link Posted: 8/4/2013 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an 1895 made in 1973 and the lever revolution does not feed reliably. 405 cast feeds smooth.
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 10:09:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I mostly shoot the Winchester 300gr Ballistic Silvertips followed by the Win 300gr JHP.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 6:03:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I like 350gr Hornady flat point over IMR 3031. I push them to about 1950 FPS.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 3:46:51 AM EDT
[#13]
stick with solid / heavy pieces of solid lead verses hornady 325gr for se alaskan moose.

recovered fragments of the hornady against the scapela and backbone... looked like grenades were used.

moose drowned.

not impressed w/hornady but still have old skool moose medicine as my to go gun.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2013 8:57:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

yep, get you a ranchdog 425gr bullet mould designed for the marlin 1895 and lee .460 dia sizer.

those bullets work damn fine through 1895
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 6:19:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
stick with solid / heavy pieces of solid lead verses hornady 325gr for se alaskan moose.

recovered fragments of the hornady against the scapela and backbone... looked like grenades were used.

moose drowned.

not impressed w/hornady but still have old skool moose medicine as my to go gun.  

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv1/Shasta69_photos/Moose20061-Copy_zps4ced7651.jpg
View Quote

I had a 325 Hornady gummy tip factory load fail on a big Kansas whitetail. The bullet exploded on the shoulder. It killed the deer, but with very poor bullet performance. I got rid of the rest of the ammo and won't use it again.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 6:38:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I had a 325 Hornady gummy tip factory load fail on a big Kansas whitetail. The bullet exploded on the shoulder. It killed the deer, but with very poor bullet performance. I got rid of the rest of the ammo and won't use it again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

moose drowned.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv1/Shasta69_photos/Moose20061-Copy_zps4ced7651.jpg

I've heard enough of these reports that the Hornady 325gr loading is something I walk right on by w/o a second thought.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#17]
After hearing story after story about poor performance of the Hornady ammo, I have swapped to Buffalo Bore 405 gr JFN expander bullets for hunting.  Hopefully I will get to test them out this deer season.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 8:15:06 AM EDT
[#18]
I plan to start reloading, in fact getting a .45-70 is what motivated me to do so.

So, yesterday at a shop I found 5 boxes of older factory ammo, one of the Rem. 405 gr and 4 of the Winchester 300 gr HP.  I am guessing early 80's manufacture by the look of the boxes, maybe earlier for the Rem.  Any concerns on reloading the older factory brass after I shoot these?

Also, I notice that on the Rem. 405gr, new and older, there is a "line" that runs around the case about a 1/3 of the way down.  I am assuming that is where the bullet is seated to?  The Win and Fed casings do not have that and have not seen it on Starline cases either.

I am going to try the 350 gr Hornady FN Interlock ammo with H4198, which according the new Lee book at a starting load will push that out at 2,036 FPS or you can max it to 2,191.  I am not planning on maxing it out, not really needed for Missouri whitetails.  

I also have H4895 which is supposed to go 1,784 FPS at starting loads.  I am going to see if I can find some 405 gr lead at the LGS  to use H4895 at 1,424 FPS.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:48:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't use factory ammo in my Marlin 45-70. Too expensive and ballistics are rather anemic and not up the the potential of the round.
The only game I've taken with a 45-70 was a 300 pound blackie bore in the far north of Onterio.
One 350 grain round nose pushed to just over 2100 f.p.s. hit the boar in the right chest, it rolled over completely, gave two big jumps into the bush and died. I think it was dead on impact.
I was suitably impressed. The exit hole was big around as an average coffee cup. Distance from blind was 40 yards.
I don't have that rifle anymore but do have a one of a thousand Marlin 1895 with 26 inch octagon barrel and an El Paso all steel Weaver fixed 4X I found n.i.b. on the net.
Great rifle, great caliber.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:20:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Great gun have fun
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great gun have fun

If you shoot a bunch of le rounds they will build up gunk at the case mouth then shoot some regular length cases and you can get stuck cases.  Clean your chamber after shooting a lot of le length cases before using regular length.  Problem solved.  I've found the le super dirty in the lot number I bought.  I can see how a sticky case might break a stock two piece extractor.  First thing I did to my guild gun was install a wild west guns one piece extractor and put the two piece stock in my spare parts kit,  but it wasn't because of the issue of le ammo.  I just didn't like the design of the stock extractor

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My 1895SBL shoots the Hornady's fine, but I prefer the Rem 405's.  They're very accurate and more pleasant to shoot.
View Quote

X2 The 405 gr seem to have less recoil to me
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I understand it the Rem 405 gr are loaded for all .45-70s to use including older ones.  I think they are loaded to 1100 FPS while the others are 1800-1900 FPS.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

As I understand it the Rem 405 gr are loaded for all .45-70s to use including older ones.  I think they are loaded to 1100 FPS while the others are 1800-1900 FPS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The factory Rem 405gr loads I have are considered safe for trapdoor Springfield actions... I.E., they are loaded to black powder spec.
That bullet can go a heck of a lot faster given hand loading, but I cannot vouch for the performance of that particular bullet at higher speeds... I tend to use cast flat points.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I thought I might link this reloading thread I asked in the reloading section on the .45-70.  I was seeing some real big deviations in loading data between books and powder maker data.  I thought it might be worthwhile.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top