Posted: 9/20/2009 9:35:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Holloway]
I should have it done by November.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:51:20 PM EDT
[#1]
O My I want one
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:40:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Put me in fucking line for one.  That looks awesome.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:55:22 PM EDT
[#3]
This is making me want a levergun
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 12:53:34 AM EDT
[#4]
i peed my pants.
wow.
do want.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 12:56:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 9/23/2009 8:07:25 AM EDT
[#6]
That's pretty cool! I'd like one in .45-70 for my Marlin guide gun!
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice!

I wonder if you should add a little more ventialtion though?

Either way, I'd love to buy one.....or two.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry guys. I hate to disappoint y'all but I have neither the financial resources or the machinery to manufacture these on a production level. I will how ever show y'all how to make your own. You will need a drill press, a set of files and a dremel.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Cool!

So is the main body an exrtuded piece that a guy can buy?

And you should really look into a patent, seriousley, because this is the first quad rail that I've seen for a levergun.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 10:28:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Phil1712] [#10]
Originally Posted By Holloway:
Sorry guys. I hate to disappoint y'all but I have neither the financial resources or the machinery to manufacture these on a production level. I will how ever show y'all how to make your own. You will need a drill press, a set of files and a dremel.

I got a Mill, more files then I know what to do with and an air grinder.

That good enough?  
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 12:53:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#11]
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Originally Posted By Phil1712:

I got a Mill, more files then I know what to do with and an air grinder.

That good enough?  

I believe I would braze the picatinny lugs on to save a bunch of time on the mill.  Might make the part a little heavy, but a few strategic holes and slots would take out an insignificant amount of weight that would magnify the tacticool awesomeness by a power of 8, not to mention the little brass line around each lug.  Coolness measurements might need to go to a decibel scale.

I might end up modifying a rail system to fit a 336.  I'm going to dabble in the idea of a Son of Evil Black Marlin and get myself a nice 1894 in 357/38 and start a new project.
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 8:56:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 10:31:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I like those ideas, thought I would pass on a Bipod for the levergun.  Would be a pain in the ass to say the least to operate the action in the prone position.
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 12:03:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/26/2009 8:21:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Ive been thinking of doing a side saddle for some time.
Link Posted: 9/26/2009 6:49:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Holloway] [#17]
Small update. I will be using 2" aluminum tubing and 1.875" 1.75" aluminum round bar to make the handgaurd. I'm going to order these rails blanks and this casting resin Monday.

oops, type in  the wrong number.
Link Posted: 9/26/2009 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Small update. I will be using 2" aluminum tubing and 1.875" aluminum round bar to make the handgaurd. I'm going to order these rails blanks and this casting resin Monday.

Keep us posted.  I can't wait.
Link Posted: 9/26/2009 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Phil1712 how well do you like the Ram-Line stock. I can't decide if I should buy it or just paint my existing stock black.
Link Posted: 9/26/2009 10:32:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Phil1712] [#20]
Phil1712 how well do you like the Ram-Line stock. I can't decide if I should buy it or just paint my existing stock black.

The ram line is nice, the fore end is my favorite part really.  It is slim, easy to hold, and best of all, because it is plastic, weight goes down by a lot.  The fore end is actually the same width as the receiver itself, it isnt bulky like current production stocks.

Yes, it is plastic, yes it does have that ugly seam, yes, when you knock on it, it makes that 'yup I'm a plastic stock' sound, but I wanted weight reduction and that is what the Ram Line gives you.

I had to fit my buttstock a little, but it isn't anything you can't handle.
Link Posted: 9/27/2009 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone have an idea for BUIS? I think the sights for AR15s will be too tall.
Link Posted: 9/27/2009 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Try modifying a set of Brockmans sights.  They are winged, much like the AR15 sights and they are well made.  If you want you could modify those to either sit in or on the rail.

Worst comes to worst, use AR sights and try a cheek riser, but that may look rather ridiculous.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Phil1712:

Try modifying a set of Brockmans sights.  They are winged, much like the AR15 sights and they are well made.  If you want you could modify those to either sit in or on the rail.

Worst comes to worst, use AR sights and try a cheek riser, but that may look rather ridiculous.

Thanks Phil. Those sights are nice but a little expensive. I think I'm going to order this sight from Brownells. I also decided not to get the rail blanks from EGW. I'm going to order these rails instead. They are made to fit standard AR15 rifle length handguards but should work.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 7:03:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Been screwing around with paint today.

Link Posted: 9/28/2009 8:22:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Call me Andy Samberg cuz I just Jizzed in my pants.

I want one. Bad. For both of my levers

Wilson Tactical made a couple a few years ago but they never sold them. Just teased people.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 10:23:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Oh man, I'd get crucified if I got one of those and showed the guys at work....

I want it.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Made a little progress today. I still have to cut the tube to length. Tomorrow I'll start working on the end caps.
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 7:49:46 PM EDT
[#28]
definite tag for updates –– keep up the good work, i would love to see this thing finished
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 10:01:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Tagscribe for updates.
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 12:38:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Been screwing around with paint today.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee60/holloway1985/trick_out_marlin.jpg

The stock hinge is genius.

The forearm assembly needs integral bi-pod legs that fold flush.

I don't see a hinge.........
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 6:54:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:20:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Holloway] [#33]
Made a little more progress today. The front end cap is almost finished. I just requires polishing. The rear end cap needs more work. The casting resin will be here on the 5th. I not not received any shipping notices from the company I order the rails from yet. So far every thing is going great which means I'm about to fu@k something up.
Link Posted: 10/4/2009 2:14:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Wow. Remember last year when XS said they had a railed lever forend coming, then it mysteriously disappeared off their website? You could make a killing if you got a patent & rounded up a couple of investors. Or just sold the idea to a company willing to produce it.

One thing I'm not sure about, though. Why the cartridge holder? I know you can't put one on the right side for obvious reasons, it just seems like it'd be clumsy on the left, since the loading gate is on the right. Of course, with the loading gate on the right, you pretty much have to take your firing hand off the weapon to reload, no matter where you keep your spares. Unless you're a lefty. Suppose you could just cant the rifle over, though. Or put them in the holder bullet-up, so you could reach under the receiver with your right... Okay, I'm rambling.

Great idea! Can't wait to see how it turns out!
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By obcbeaker:
Wow. Remember last year when XS said they had a railed lever forend coming, then it mysteriously disappeared off their website? You could make a killing if you got a patent & rounded up a couple of investors. Or just sold the idea to a company willing to produce it.

One thing I'm not sure about, though. Why the cartridge holder? I know you can't put one on the right side for obvious reasons, it just seems like it'd be clumsy on the left, since the loading gate is on the right. Of course, with the loading gate on the right, you pretty much have to take your firing hand off the weapon to reload, no matter where you keep your spares. Unless you're a lefty. Suppose you could just cant the rifle over, though. Or put them in the holder bullet-up, so you could reach under the receiver with your right... Okay, I'm rambling.

Great idea! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

While there is a market for this type of item, it seems to be pretty small. That is probably why none of the major manufactures are making any.

That is what I'm planning to do.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 4:27:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Holloway] [#36]
Update

That rails came in today. The casting resin should be here soon. I order these rails from combathunting.com First let me say, I have no affiliation with this company and hope never to. They screwed up my order. The rails I ordered are .31" tall. They also carry .40" and .64". They sent me two .31" rails and two .40" rails. The rails are package in their own plastic sleeves with no item number or any type of label. I'm guessing who ever put my package together did not look closely enough to make sure I got the right ones. The box they use rather over sized. Measuring at 13.25"x11.75"x2.5". They did not use any type of filler material allowing the rails to move freely in the box. There are a couple of dings. A mailing tube would have been better suited for my package. The rails have different profiles so even if I cut the .40" rails to .31" they will not match. Each rail has a slight twist to them and are slightly warped but for $12.49 each I was not expecting top quality. Another problem I have is the lack of information on combathunting.com. It did not say what type of finish is used on the rails. Now that I have them in my hands it appears to be a textured paint. Probably to hide machining marks. Would I order these rails again? Hell no. If I build another rail system again, I will spend more on quality rail blanks. Will I order from combathunting.com again? Don't hold your breath.

Time for some pics.

Here you can see some of the slots are off.

Notice the gap.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 4:28:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Holloway] [#37]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#38]
I now have the handguard fitted to the rifle. There was definitely more filing than I thought there would be. Maybe I should invest in one of them milling machines. Tomorrow, I'll start working on fitting the rails.

Link Posted: 10/14/2009 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#39]
OH MAN - this is getting good!  
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 10:44:40 PM EDT
[#40]
very nice - thanks for the updates
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#41]
It even looks good without the rails!
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 1:25:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: COSteve] [#42]
There are a lot of variations one could try.

Maybe something with an adjustable stock

Link Posted: 10/15/2009 3:32:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Well, I no longer have access to torch. Instead of brazing the rails to the tube, I will use machine screws and J-B weld. To countersink the screws I will use a Ryobi #8 countersink bit. A set of four cost 11 bucks so I'm not too worried about breaking it. However, I don't want to fuck up my rails. I decided to test the bit on a piece of scrap rail. The results were great. First, I used a spring loaded punch to mark the center of the slot. Then clamped it the my drill press table. I know I used the wrong type of clamp here but I did not care about marring the rail. When I drill the actual rails, I will use better clamps. I applied a few drops of oil before drilling. I was not sure how far down to drill so I feed it very slowly. When I was satisfied with the depth I stop. Later, I can used this piece of rail to set the stop on my drill press. After clearing away the chips, I removed the countersink bit and chucked in a #18 drill bit. I used it to open the hole for the #8 screw.

Link Posted: 10/16/2009 6:00:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Some of the things people on this website come up with just friggin amaze me.

I want one!!!  

TAG.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Interesting project.  I am  clueless when it comes to the tactical side of shooting but you got me thinking.  What if you went with the XS Rail on top and simply modified the wood fore-end with additional rails?  Seems it would be lighter weight and the pic rails should add strength.  Would the forarm be too fragile?  Ok, now you may be calling me a "Hillbilly" but considering the project you guys might qualify also.  

Link Posted: 10/16/2009 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Kapincrunch:
Interesting project.  I am  clueless when it comes to the tactical side of shooting but you got me thinking.  What if you went with the XS Rail on top and simply modified the wood fore-end with additional rails?  Seems it would be lighter weight and the pic rails should add strength.  Would the forarm be too fragile?  Ok, now you may be calling me a "Hillbilly" but considering the project you guys might qualify also.  

Welcome to ARFCOM Kapincrunch.

First let me say, I ain't no hillbilly. I was born and raised in southwest Flordia and they ain't no hills down here. Now why would I build a tactical lever gun? Why not. I and many others on this site like unusual firearms. I also like building things in ways only a few have done before. You could add rails to a wood fore-end but I don't think it would add any strength. Also, all type of woods will change with the environment causing shrinking, swelling and warping. Eventually the rails would loosen or may cause the fore-end to crack.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 5:30:50 PM EDT
[#47]
I now have the handguard fitted to the rifle. There was definitely more filing than I thought there would be. Maybe I should invest in one of them milling machines. Tomorrow, I'll start working on fitting the rails.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee60/holloway1985/DSC02971.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee60/holloway1985/DSC02976.jpg

Just get a milling table for your drill press. It will have alot of deflection to compensate for, but for tinkering, they're plenty good (and they're alot cheaper than a milling machine).
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Harbor Freight has an inexpensive milling machine for $399.
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Tag.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 6:09:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Almost done with the handguard. Just a little more polishing here the there. I will start working on the mold for the sidesaddle next weekend.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top