Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2017 8:56:39 AM EDT
Finally broke down and ordered the Arlo Pro 3 Camera Kit.  I did a lot of research and debating as to what I wanted to do around the house for cameras.  We have been having more and more issues in our area and it was time to move into a camera system.  I debated wired vs wifi, combination of doorbell camera and regular cameras, etc.  I compared lots of models but in the end I think the Arlo is going to fit my needs and will add another nice layer to my security plan.

The things that pushed me over the edge to Arlo:
-We have moved a lot and may be moving in the next couple years.  I like the idea of a system I can invest in and pack up and take with me.
-My house setup is not conducive to wiring without great effort and cost.
-I like the simple plug and play aspect.
-The recent release of Solar panel charges seems to be a nice way to deal with battery charging, which can be one of the big downsides to these types of systems.

Ill plan to update with comments on setup, use, etc. once everything arrives.

******************* UPDATE
It has been 2months now since I installed my camera system.  Overall impressions are great.  I like the system, phone apps, and have had no issues thus far.  After 2 months of use my most active camera, the driveway, was at 15% battery and the front/rear doors were at 30%.  All in all I am happy with the battery life thus far.  I could improve this more by actually turning off the cameras when I am outside working, grilling, etc.  I ordered an outdoor power cord for the driveway camera and cut a small channel through the upstairs window.  That camera is now plugged in and will stay charged.  This was the only one I had to access with a ladder.  The other two I charged up and each came to full power in an hour.

In general the responsiveness of the cameras has been impressive, capturing what I want and not going off with every blow of a leaf.  I did run into one issue that small spiders liked to make webs across 2 of my camera faces.  Had to clean them and spray around the cameras - no issues since.

I would purchase this system again and make look at add another outdoor camera and maybe an indoor camera in the future.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:30:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Look forward to followup.  I bought a six cam system(two magnetic bases 4 regular), thought about moving then changed my mind.  Still in the shrink wrap.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:21:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I love my Arlo cams. I'm using one Pro for the main door so I can speak to people and then three others around the perimeter of the house. Great purchase, I'm sure you'll love it.

There is a fairly common issue with the IR filter getting stuck on some cameras. If this happens, your camera will have a pink hue 24/7. Netgear was really helpful and had a new camera to me in about four business days so if it happens to you, just give them a shout!
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 12:29:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Please do update later, I'm looking hard at this setup because of wireless and easy install.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:15:08 AM EDT
[#4]
My two magnetic mounts are the speaker ones, the rest are regular.  Glad to hear the speaker ones work well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:18:17 AM EDT
[#5]
First follow-up:

My package arrived yesterday, which consisted of a 3 Camera kit, 3 grey covers, and 2 upgraded mounts.  It literally took me longer to remove everything from the package than it did to get the cameras up and running.  Total setup time was 5mins.  I got the apps loaded on several devices and just messed around with the settings and talking through a camera to my daughter in the other room.

Quality appears to be good with first impressions and software is easy to navigate.  I plan to get everything mounted and really set up this Sunday.  I am waiting to see how battery performance goes before I decide to get a battery charger and extra batteries to spring for solar panels.

Best of all my wife is happy, she has been wanting a camera system for years.  Ill update again when I get the cameras mounted and start working through the real settings.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:10:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the original Arlo 5 camera system. I've had one camera go bad and they replaced it. Looks like a rose lenses is in front of it.

I think a pro would be my dream system. I really wish I had microphones.  I just wish I could get a wireless microphone to listen to what's outside.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 6:55:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Got the two front cameras installed and setup this morning, super easy and fast.  Decided I wanted to order the larger mount for the back yard/back door camera.  It will be here Monday and Ill get it up and running.  The images are good and clear.  I got my rules set up to trigger the other camera to deal with the delays that every talks about.  So far so good.  All in all, the best thing about these is how easy they are to get up and running.  Pending any real issues I am happy with the purchase and still think these are a good addition to our layers of security.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#8]
From what you have seen so far, can you select what time of the day it looks for motion? Like if i just wanted night time detection between 9-6, can I do that or is always looking?
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:31:50 AM EDT
[#9]
My apologies, but what rules did you adjust for the lag?  I'd like to have a heads up before installing.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:25:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From what you have seen so far, can you select what time of the day it looks for motion? Like if i just wanted night time detection between 9-6, can I do that or is always looking?
View Quote
You can set different modes for different times of the day.  So in short, you should be able to set your rules and do what you describe.  The rules and modes are pretty easy to do.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:29:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My apologies, but what rules did you adjust for the lag?  I'd like to have a heads up before installing.
View Quote
With all of these 'wireless' cameras, they conserve power by being in sleep mode.  Having a fast connection helps with the lag but it will always be there.  My most critical cameras are in the front of the house - front door and driveway.  I have them set so that if either detects motion, it triggers itself and the other camera.

If you dont do that when someone is walking to the door quickly (the Fedex guy) you may only pick him up as he walks away after dropping the package.  Setting cameras up to trigger each other fixes this.  My driveway camera triggers on his motion pulling up/getting out of the truck, which turns on the door camera and I get him walking up.

You can also adjust the motion sensitivity and the positioning of the cameras.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 12:57:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Oh shit, that's slick.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Tell me a bit more. I'm in need of a system but do not want to run cat6 and setup an nvr
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Tell me a bit more. I'm in need of a system but do not want to run cat6 and setup an nvr
View Quote
What do you want to know?

I am about 2 weeks in with my system up and running.  Set up to receive a ping on my phone and wife's phone when motion/recording occurs (emails got annoying real quick).  So far so good.  We were out of town last week, with the dog sitter staying at our house.  We easily kept track of things from several states away, was cool to log on and flip a camera live and watch the rain happening at home.  My driveway camera has allowed me to discover the cat that keeps leaving foot prints on my cars.

So far no issue with access, cameras, or the system.  Big thing I am waiting on is battery life, but I need to have more time to pass to tell (will determine if and for what cameras I end up getting a solar panel for or if I buy spares).
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I researched this a lot and went with Blink because:

1) Much longer battery life
2) Better cloud storage for my purposes.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:29:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
I looked at these, but I wanted the option for local storage as well as cloud and this feature was still pending.  Additionally, what reviews I could find on actual battery life put them inline with the other battery powered cameras.  If you use the short clip recording features it appears you can get a longerish battery life, but you sacrifice on your recorded videos.  All in all, I am glad to see lots of competitors entering the market.  It will force better software, hardware, and features for all of us.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:54:33 PM EDT
[#17]
You can get a solar panel for the Arlo's? Is it like the Ring stick up camera version that keeps the battery charged?
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:37:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I've been running 3 arlo pros and an arlo q for quite a while.
Love it.
Very very versatile.

Edit to add the pros have been running since June 1st and still right at 50% battery.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:42:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
You arm and disarm it from your phone so it only working when you want it to.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:45:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I had blink and to me personally arlo pro is hands down better.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I had blink and to me personally arlo pro is hands down better.
View Quote
What do you like better about it?  I might get the Arlo Go as a game cam
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've been running 3 arlo pros and an arlo q for quite a while.
Love it.
Very very versatile.

Edit to add the pros have been running since June 1st and still right at 50% battery.
View Quote
Whats the coldest you've personally seen them operate in?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#23]
I just picked up the arlo pro 3 camera package with the base. I've been wanting to try these out and Costco had a $50 dollar in store rebate reducing the cost to $450 so i had to give it a try. It was a pain in my ass to get the base to connect to my router.  With a little trouble shooting i was able to get it up and running.

I cant give a review or attest to how good this system is but so far the features are pretty nice. Video quality is ok but having the ability to move these cameras around and keep them hidden is a nice feature. Motion detection seems to be pretty responsive and will alert me if any un welcomed guest arrive.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah I found out if you forget to disarm it while you spend the day working in the yard....you will end up with 400 notifications when you check your phone at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:36:27 AM EDT
[#25]
2 month update in OP.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:38:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I've had my arlo pro set almost a year and love them.

Just ordered an add-on camera from the new arlo pro 2 line. They upped the resolution.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Whats the coldest you've personally seen them operate in?
View Quote
mine made it through minnesota winter without a problem, but last year was pretty mild as far as those go.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:51:57 AM EDT
[#28]
After 6 months or so with my current Arlo setup, I've been noticing that at random intervals all the cameras I have set up- become offline and state that my wifi is offline, however I can verify the wifi network is working fine. This issue seems to happen more frequently as of late.

After resetting the arlo router all goes back to normal, but this unreliability is becoming concerning. - any one with similar experiences or issues and have any feedback to remedy this?

TIA
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:31:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
After 6 months or so with my current Arlo setup, I've been noticing that at random intervals all the cameras I have set up- become offline and state that my wifi is offline, however I can verify the wifi network is working fine. This issue seems to happen more frequently as of late.

After resetting the arlo router all goes back to normal, but this unreliability is becoming concerning. - any one with similar experiences or issues and have any feedback to remedy this?

TIA
View Quote
I was having network dropping issues, but turned out is was across all of my network connected devices.  Root cause was a router issue that was rectified with a new router.

Have you tried resetting the cameras, disconnect them from the base and then reconnect?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I was having network dropping issues, but turned out is was across all of my network connected devices.  Root cause was a router issue that was rectified with a new router.

Have you tried resetting the cameras, disconnect them from the base and then reconnect?
View Quote
Really appreciate your feedback. My issues are isolated only to the Arlo base station and connectivity of the cameras.

Last night I disconnected the base station several times and rebooted each time before all cameras connected again.

This weekend I'm going to try and reset everything, cameras included and use a completely new Arlo base station that I have on hand.

Hope this will solve the increasing problems I've been having.

I'll provide updates here to help everyone thereafter as well.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:48:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Really appreciate your feedback. My issues are isolated only to the Arlo base station and connectivity of the cameras.

Last night I disconnected the base station several times and rebooted each time before all cameras connected again.

This weekend I'm going to try and reset everything, cameras included and use a completely new Arlo base station that I have on hand.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would be surprised if you had several cameras failing at the same time like that.  Has to be some issue with the base station.  Have you tired to get Arlo to replace the base station, or are you waiting to try the other base you have to confirm that it is the issue?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:15:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I would be surprised if you had several cameras failing at the same time like that.  Has to be some issue with the base station.  Have you tired to get Arlo to replace the base station, or are you waiting to try the other base you have to confirm that it is the issue?
View Quote
Since I have the additional brand new base station I’m going to give that a try , and hopefully be able to isolate the issues. If it indeed is the original base station I am using I’ll contact Arlo

Thank you
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#33]
I've been running a 6 camera Arlo Pro system for several months now with no issues. As others have said, the set up is a snap and it suits my needs perfectly. I especially like the "Geofencing" setting, basically the base unit tracks my smartphone's location and automatically arms the system whenever my phone leaves close proximity to my property so I don't have to remember to arm and disarm the system every time I leave the house.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:36:23 PM EDT
[#34]
The arlo pro 2 is a nice upgrade. The extra resolution helps. Still not good enough to get plate numbers from a distance, but better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top