Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2017 7:32:44 PM EDT
I honestly don't need another safe but I'm a sucker for a good deal. While at the local pawn shop I see they have an Amsec BF1512 that's been sitting there since last summer. Price was 899 now they have it marked down to 399 but the manager will let me have it for 350. Its something I would keep in my bedroom closet. It's about the size of a dorm fridge but weights about 300lbs and I could probably fit 10-15 pistols if I pack them in right. I figure it's a nice overflow for my main safe. Go or no go at that price?
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as there are no giant dents in the sides or something, and the lock work is solid, that's a steal at $350.

I would buy that in a heartbeat. I paid $900 for the one in my house last year. Safes don't "go bad" or wear out unless they get damaged some how. You'll see people asking about safes that are older than they are on these forums and the people in the know will tell you the same thing.

The lock on the BF safes is a standard lock and easy to replace if need be. If its in good condition, a safe tech can also service it and change the combo for you for a reasonable fee.

I say Fo!
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As long as there are no giant dents in the sides or something, and the lock work is solid, that's a steal at $350.

I would buy that in a heartbeat. I paid $900 for the one in my house last year. Safes don't "go bad" or wear out unless they get damaged some how. You'll see people asking about safes that are older than they are on these forums and the people in the know will tell you the same thing.

The lock on the BF safes is a standard lock and easy to replace if need be. If its in good condition, a safe tech can also service it and change the combo for you for a reasonable fee.

I say Fo!
View Quote
Not quite, no. Older safes are NOT always a good buy. Old technology doesn't keep up with new technology. Therefore an older safe that is rated as TL, might not (and likely won't) still be rated TL as of today.

Take for instance, anything with an SMNA rating. SMNA says your safe is rated for X minutes, problem is, they went out of a business a LONG time ago, and that safe would likely not receive that same rating today.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the responses. Im going to pick it up and keep my extra pistols in it to free up space in my main safe. 
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:18:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not quite, no. Older safes are NOT always a good buy. Old technology doesn't keep up with new technology. Therefore an older safe that is rated as TL, might not (and likely won't) still be rated TL as of today.

Take for instance, anything with an SMNA rating. SMNA says your safe is rated for X minutes, problem is, they went out of a business a LONG time ago, and that safe would likely not receive that same rating today.
View Quote
True, but the OP is asking about an amsec BF safe... not an ancient asbestos filled mosler from the 1960's...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top