Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2017 9:47:40 PM EDT
I've already got 30+ long guns and will shortly be holding a friend's 15+ while he's stationed in a very gun unfriendly state for a couple of years.
I can cram ~20 into my stack-on 8 gun cabinet, but haven't prioritized a safe like I should have.
And between me and my buddy I'll also probably have 20-30 handguns to secure. Not sure how that factors into safe size.
I don't have any interest in fire protection, but do need something pretty large (obviously).
I'm also probably not going to be able to go over the $2k price point.
What can I realistically get that will hold that much in that price point and be fairly secure?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:25:13 PM EDT
[#1]
2k budget? that would do it, I could go ape shit with that much

I've got 5 stack on gun cabinets in my house and don't have $500 in them. I'm not sure how many guns we have all together but we still have room leftover.
I have one of them with nothing but hand guns and ammo in it.

don't know where you're at in IL but Pressley's has about the best selection of cabinets and safes I've seen, they have one that has a slide out rifle rack that is pretty cool, I think it's about $450, I don't recall how many guns it claims to hold.

I've also been eyeballing an 18 gun cabinet at wal-mart for $149 that has shelves on one side and rifle rack on the other.
my brother has a big ass locking steel cabinet he got at Farm and Fleet that he keeps ammo and powder and handguns in, I think it was about $200

people love to hate the cheap gun cabinets but they are great at keeping out the kids and the more honest thieves.
truth is if they really want in, they'll get in, no matter what you've got.
all my cabinets are well hidden, 2 of them are built into the walls in the bedrooms, you'd never find them unless you knew to look for them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:36:47 AM EDT
[#2]
The problem with the stack on type cabinets is that I can literally pry one open with a 5/16" 6" long screwdriver. Don't even need a pry-bar.

So I'm looking for something on at least the RSC level.
I'd love one of these, but they're $4,200 plus, and there's no way I could swing that.

Thanks for the tip on Pressley's, they're close enough for me to take a look.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Research showing the YouTube videos of how easy it is to pry open the lesser security boxes made me go with Sturdy.

With a $2000 budget, and that many guns I think you will only be able to get something not super secure.
I'd try to find the best Home Depot/Gun Store safe that will fit the guns, and then look into (if don't already have) an alarm system.  If they know an alarm has been tripped they won't spend the time to try to pry something open.  So a "decent" lock box/safe coupled with alarm to prevent them spending time on it is best option with that budget and # of guns.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 4:55:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Cabelas is doing the Fatboy Jr. 48-gun safe for $1099 right now with your choice of S&G dial or keypad.  Shipping will add a few hundred for garage/curbside.  I think they have the Colonial 50 for $1500, as well.  They will do in-home, but getting estimates before ordering with Cabellas is not always fast.  Hard to beat their curbside prices with current sale, but then you're dealing with #700-1000 to deal with getting in place.  Still, adding on in-home will likely result in a good deal under budget.

The Liberty site has good deals for the next week on Fatboys (<$2000) and Fatboy Jrs (<$1300), as well as Colonial 50s with some extras that would get you delivered and installed for under $2K for the Jr. or 30, and just over $2K curbside for the Colonial 50 or Fatboy (64-guns).  Benefit of going through liberty is being able to pick your dealer for delivery and having someone who can make adjustments on the spot if need be.  Probably a little more than Cabelas, but tidy.

For the value, a Fatboy Jr. on sale is hard to beat for a RSC whether you get it from Cabelas or through Liberty directly.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Went with a Franklin 50 from Gander Mountain for $2161 delivered to my curb.
Thanks for all the advice.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:51:02 AM EDT
[#6]
If you're budget can't get you the adequate sized Sturdy safe... then go with a Fatboy or Fatboy Jr imo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top