Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2016 8:58:03 PM EDT
Does anyone have a Fast Box 47 or the Model 52? I can't find much information on the electronic locks. I'm considering getting both but would like to hear from someone who has one or both that could comment on if they are quality.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:25:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi.  I just signed up to post this.  Not much, ..

I do not own either, but am in a similar situation of being interested in the products.  Have watched the videos and the Kool-aid is tasting good.

Was able to see one of the Fast Box models at a retail store.  Only spent a few minutes with it and details are a bit foggy.  Wish that I had spent more time really paying attention to it, but honestly had really wanted to see a Model 52, which they did not stock.

The Fastbox was orientated on the side.  Default combo was 5 buttons.  Entry was quiet, but with definitive physical push/click.  Don't recall a lot of feedback on knowing when the combo was entered correctly or not, or about a waiting period to retry entry.  Some practice is required to get the full nuances figured out.

The knob confused me as to which direction was open vs latched.  A simple knob, nothing wrong with that, and and now wondering if it can always turned to either position –  only when the combo was entered correctly would an internal lock mechanism move and thus allow the door when the knob is the unlatched position? If I'm way off, in the future please slap me.  Something that would obviously become quite apparent with a few minutes of practice.

The door has to be gently pulled to open and it has a decent heft to it; wondered about a thunk if it were 'dropped' when in horizontal arraignment.  The internal pad was nicer than personally expected -- fairly thick and soft.

For now,  I know I want something with additional storage and so first focus is still on the Model 52.  Have not ruled out a FastBox if needing something smaller/located elsewhere.  Thinking vertical position might be slick with it in a cozy spot even.

If any purchases are made, I'll try to post some better information for you.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:10:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a 47 to go in the rear of my 4runner. It works great for that. As far as this being a true safe, it isnt. This is to keep a gun away from kids, or a burglar with limited time.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If any purchases are made, I'll try to post some better information for you.
View Quote

Model 52 has arrived.  Am working on writing some details on it in my casual spare time as a product whole and about the electronic lock system you've more specifically requested.
Need to sit down and play with it further -- things like timeouts, etc.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#4]
[Section 1/4]

Ordered a Model 52.  I know you primarily asked about the lock and get to that.  I’m a new member that signed up just to respond to the original thread, and the forum limits my posts to 2000 characters.  I will have to split it up into multiple segments.

Super short:

I guess like it more than I dislike it.  I hyped it up to be able to hold tons and tons of stuff [behind the long arms], but found out not as plausible as expected.  There are some install and con fig nuances that annoyed me (lock).  It's pricey, but nothing else quite like it.  In the future I will probably get a second one or at least get one of their retrofit kits to upgrade the old 'Green 8-Rifle Safe'.

Initial Assembly:

The product comes packaged extremely well.  There are layers of bubble wrap and small plywood spacers that keep everything in the box tight and padded.  I was quite pleased.

Assembly is certainly helpful with a second person.  The bracket closet the door hinge seemed to be the hardest -- weight of door puts strain.  Helps to 'lift the door' to take weight off and makes wrenching easier.

The rifle bases free float in the bottom without an official set spot to mount or click in.  Unweighted they can drift around and this originally concerned me, but once the long arms are in place the weight keeps things from shifting around.  I placed the bases all the forward into the front edge as an index point.  The butt stock opening on the bases is very large and forgiving, and in some cases I wish it were actually smaller to closer match the stock footprints I have.  On the plus side, if you have a beefy stock pad installed it should [will] not be an issue.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:23:07 PM EDT
[#5]
[Section 2/4]

Layout / Accessories:

It's going to take me a while to figure out my 'final' layout with the adjustability.  I have more stuff than fits into it, but wanted to see just how much stuff could crammed in.  Discovered that it's a little harder to fit things behind the rifles than expected.  The yellow bins are often to deep, and the shallow metal pan often conflicted because it spans all 6 louvers and it seemed there is always something in the way (one longarm will have an optic or iron sight in the way).  If I jump on getting a second one then I hope that will be able to put more similar things in the separate units so as to have 'behind bins' work better -- right now 'the most import six' are in there and it's throwing me off since something is always in the way for behind storage.

The yellow bins are the same hook-on bins you see with reloading presses, shop storage, etc.  The unused bins that from my order will surly find a home somewhere else, and I plan to shop around for either other branded knock-off bins that might have a shorter depth or try a little bit of modifying to them on my own (dremel + epoxy to shorten depth)  I’d love to see a shorter version of their metal tray that spans 6 louvers-- say a 2-3 louver design.

The barrel cradles are easy to adjust and if using the option elastic bands it is easy to accidentally pop them off the louvers.  Using the securing screw will prevent this, but until am settled in I don't yet want to screw them down.

I wish the cradle grid louvers went slightly higher and slightly lower on the panel.  It's not a huge issue, but could see it beneficial for sneaking in an extra tray/etc.
Part of the design is also just logical -- too hight and it makes accessing an item placed at the top height difficult.

It's dark in the safe, and I plan on putting some of that LED strip lighting inside.  Quite possible to run power thru one of the screw holes depending on product used.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#6]
[Section 3/4]

Keypad / Lock:

Like the lock, I hate the instructions.  No doubt writing the documentation can be challenging, but feel it's a clumsy read.  Read [skim] it all the way thru the instructions before starting just get a high level of what is going on and what options are available.

What you need to know right out of the gate:

- Uses 9v battery, not included.
- A beep & LED flash occurs with each key press; no silent access
- At the end of the entry sequence it will beep a couple times indicating improper combination or single time [and sound of mechanism operating] if success.
- Key combinations are 6 digits long, 0-9
- The lock has 1 Admin code and 5 user codes - 6 separate codes that will unlock the door.
- I guarantee you can guess a valid default password.  Maybe the first go you might get it wrong [doubt it!], but based on the beep feedback with the 6 digit entry, anyone that 'just keeps pressing buttons' will get it right.  You are either going to enter the Admin code or the User 1 code right of the bat without question.  Unless you are weird. :P

So yeah, each combination can be changed and really MUST be changed just for security.  One can set the same combination for multiple users, effectively reducing the number of valid combinations.  I just feel that default number of 6 users is a bit excessive, although I imagine it's all the same electronics inside and used anywhere else this programming might be more useful in a fancier setup where data is logged and reporting is available to track what users accessed it when.  I would have been happy with 2 combos and considered that second one a bonus.  At 6 combos, it's a nuisance.  Personally I set a new Admin code, set User 1-4 all to be the same  the value and use it as my personal use code, and User 5 as an alternative code to give out to someone and then possibly change it later if needed.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#7]
[Section 4/4]

Keypad Changing:

The process of changing the codes is a little clumsy, but based on the interface I get there really isn't an easier way.  Read through it a few times -- the documentation makes more sense when to get the examples of actual key press vs the paragraph trying to explain it.  Leave the door open while you do it, so know can always get your stuff back out (you did cram it full of awesome before even dreaming of messing with the codes, right?!).  Afterwards, confirm the old obvious ones don't work anymore.  

Additional features/notes include:

- After 4 incorrect attempts, will go into a lock out mode preventing new attempts and beep every few seconds.  Lock out time is settable between a few different minutes values, like 2, 3, 4 minutes or something like that [sorry, sheet isn't in front of me as I write this part].  

- Can set 'One user mode' or 'Two user mode'.  Cool, but not really needed for residential setting usually.  Default is One User, where entry of a valid single code unlocks the door.  Two User mode means two different codes must be entered to unlock.  I accidentally turned this setting on while changing default user codes and became very confused why my new codes weren't working.  Code changing process is clumsy, but not crazy difficult.  I take full blame for fumbling this one up but it sure did confuse me for a bit.

- Can set unlock delay from 0 to 59 minutes so that it won't unlock the mechanism for that length of time after entry.  Cool, but not really needed for residential setting usually.

- There is a key entry timeout, but I haven't nailed down how long it is [fairly short].  For example, if you enter a key or two and walk away for a few minutes it will reset to as if no keys have been entered. Something like 30-60 seconds is my guess.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#8]
[Section 5/4]  -- Bonus!  Miscalculated character limit. :P

In conclusion -- now that I have all the codes changed and figured out my goof up with two user mode I'm no longer 'mad' at the lock.  Yes, I think 6 is still excessive, but over all it works well and I'm pretty happy with the purchase big picture.

I suspect one day I will end up with another Model 52 -- both due to storage needs but all for keypad backup.  Some folks have said make buddies with your lock smith because one day the electronic lock [keypad] will fail you and they will have to drill it out to gain entry [destroy].  

My understanding is that these electronic locks store your password on an internal-to-the-door computer chip.  On can't just bust the keypad off and 'hot wire' entry – the correct data must be sent along the wire for the computer to process before it will unlock. Thus, if the keypad does break, a new [same] one could be installed and your programed codes would continue to work. I presume I'll be able to snag the keypad off my Model52-working and plug it into my Model52-BrokenKeypad and be able to gain entry.  Time will tell on that one.  Others seem to have had luck ordering a keypad from a vendor and so long as it was the same worked for them.

It's the nicest 'Green Safe' I've ever seen.   Awesome customization, awesome electronic lock, 'awesome' price.  Noting quite like it, so I'll pay the premium for it being magically small for how much and how well it holds things.  :)
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:41:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Very good write up. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:17:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Agree, great write up.  Thus, I'll just offer my impressions rather than covering the features, which you have covered very well.  

I have assembled two Model 52s by myself, with this one being the latest:

For reference, that's everything that comes in the 344 bin kit, with the exception of the medium-size bin dividers.  Using the entire kit turned it from a 6 to a 4 long gun container. Thus, I will probably shift some of the bins to another Model 52 at some point, but for now, they are holding a half dozen pistols, magazines, and some other related items.

Overall impressions:

I decided to adopt lightweight container storage two decades before this thing hit the market, so I didn't need to be sold on the concept.  If you are looking for a 1000 lb. behemoth that advertises 2 or 3 times its actual useful capacity, can have its side cut off in 10 minutes, and provides much of its weight and a questionable fire rating with off-gassing drywall, this one isn't for you.  

So after using it for some time, how do I like it?  Well, it's not perfect, but I still love it.  Would I buy another?  Yes, and I will.

Favorite features:

* I'll start with the obvious - the Cradle Grid system is fantastic.  The container advertises 6 long gun capacity.  It holds 6 long guns.  Holds them well.  With easy access to any of them, without banging rifles into each other.  Even better, each of those rifles can have a large optic, pistol grip, VFG, or even have a 30 round mag inserted while stored.  The cradles are fully height adjustable, so your AR no longer needs to feel like the short kid on the playground who can't reach the monkey bars.  No more poles.  No more gun socks.  Just rifle storage with easy access.  It's a simple concept, but one that seems to elude every other manufacturer...and it rocks.

* Some folks might like the ability to break it down for transport, but at only 100 lbs. when empty, I likely won't.  That said, it made setting the container up in my basement very easy.  I didn't need to haul a 6 foot long 120 lb. box down a flight of curving stairs.  I just rolled the box into my house on a hand truck, opened it, and carried the individual pieces downstairs.  Made one person assembly a breeze.

* The lock is easy to use once programmed, which means I use the container more, opening it to store something securely even when I am in a hurry.

* The bins (sold separately) are pretty great.  The large size with divider holds two large pistols easily and isolates them fairly well in the container.  You can easily hang one above two side-by-side shorter style rifles, like an AR or 10/22.  You can hang additional small or medium-size bins above or below that large-size bin if you have SBRs or ARs with collapsible stocks.

* Customer service is top notch.  Seriously.  I had a minor issue with the first M52 I purchased from a third-party vendor.  SecureIt didn't care from whom I bought it.  They shipped me another M52 immediately and arranged for UPS pickup of the first one.  During the process I spoke with several different SecureIt employees and they were each incredibly helpful and accommodating.  The only other firearm-related company I have dealt with who had that level of service after the sale is Daniel Defense, and putting SecureIt in their league is high praise.

Some room for improvement:

* Again, I'll start with the most obvious item - no key backup.  The electronic lock seems to be of decent quality, but only comes with a one-year warranty.  If it fails, you'll need to have a locksmith bypass it.  That said, I haven't had any issues with mine...and this issue will be addressed with an updated model to be released later this year.  More on that topic later.

* I agree with the poster above - the number of "user codes" seems excessive for residential use.  Of course, this container could also be used by an agency, so the feature could be useful in a non-residential setting.  Either way, it would still be really nice if the admin could program the desired number of user codes.

* Again, I agree with the poster above - it would be nice if the cradle grid went higher so that you could hang bins higher.  An extended grid would also better accommodate longer rifles when using the included bungees.  The long gun in the extreme left of my pic is a 12ga autoloader with a 28" barrel and it extends a decent amount above the grid.  That's not a big deal, but it would require stretching the bungee on the cradle quite a bit if I chose to use them.  Fortunately, I don't need to use the bungees.

Other than the omission of key backup, those items are pretty minor.  The lack of key backup is potentially a bigger issue for me, but not a deal breaker.  I knew what I was getting when I bought the container and I don't have all of my firearms in it.  If I did, I might be a bit more concerned about this issue.

That said, this issuue will soon be addressed.  Apparently SecureIt listens to their customers.  Their latest catalog shows an updated Model 52 with a key backup and an updated electronic lock.  I haven't seen any details on the lock and potentially new features of it, but the key backup solves the most common issue folks have with the container.  Shipping date is not yet known, but it will almost certainly be before the end of the year given that it appears in this year's catalog. That said, from what I understand, it as it least several months away.

Price

You really can't review this container without addressing the fact that it costs 4 or 5 times as much as lower-end residential containers of similar advertised capacity.  Yes, it costs quite a bit more, even if you order it from a third-party with a 10% discount and free shipping, as I did.  If you are very price sensitive, this container may not be for you.  That issue bothered me less, especially when viewed in the context of how much I have spent on firearms, accessories, and ammo.  I don't mind paying more for something that is worth the price.  Is this container worth the price?  Well, it was to me.  It blows away other containers I have used in terms of accommodating optics/grips, providing relatively isolated storage of each long gun, and enabling direct access to any one of them without having to shift items around.  I have a nasty scratch on one shotgun that occurred when another rifle shifted against it in a different container.  I now use gun socks in that container, which are generally a pain in the ass.  What is it worth to you to eliminate that issue?  It was worth the price of this container to me, which is why I plan to buy another one.

Bonus pics:

Link Posted: 4/9/2017 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Some great reviews on here guys.  Let me ask, do you think three 50 cal ammo cans could fit across the bottom?
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:37:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Some great reviews on here guys.  Let me ask, do you think three 50 cal ammo cans could fit across the bottom?
View Quote

Sort of, but it would set you back another 60 beans and access to a specific can might require you to remove an adjacent can.

A standard 50 cal can is 12" deep by 6" wide.  The Model 52 has at least 14" interior depth, but the door frame interior width is only about 17".  Interior container width is greater so you could fit the cans in, but you couldn't pull the cans on the left and right out without shifting things around, perhaps requiring you to remove the middle can first.  Not sure.  Haven't tested it.

If that still sounds good, you would need to add the optional stock base shelf, which has a lip that allows you to elevate the base plates without them slipping forward.

Of course, this config assumes you don't need the full cabinet height for longer rifles.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 12:17:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sort of, but it would set you back another 60 beans and access to a specific can might require you to remove an adjacent can.

A standard 50 cal can is 12" deep by 6" wide.  The Model 52 has at least 14" interior depth, but the door frame interior width is only about 17".  Interior container width is greater so you could fit the cans in, but you couldn't pull the cans on the left and right out without shifting things around, perhaps requiring you to remove the middle can first.  Not sure.  Haven't tested it.

If that still sounds good, you would need to add the optional stock base shelf, which has a lip that allows you to elevate the base plates without them slipping forward.

http://i.imgur.com/7mbFlhh.jpg

Of course, this config assumes you don't need the full cabinet height for longer rifles.
View Quote
Awesome, thanks for all the info.  I wouldn't mind having to pull the middle can to get to the others.  These cans would be mostly for the more expensive carry ammo, soft points, target loads, ect.  My bulk plinking ammo stays in the garage.  The tallest weapon I currently have is a Ruger 10/22 TD so I think I'll be good on height.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 12:24:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Awesome, thanks for all the info.  I wouldn't mind having to pull the middle can to get to the others.  These cans would be mostly for the more expensive carry ammo, soft points, target loads, ect.  My bulk plinking ammo stays in the garage.  The tallest weapon I currently have is a Ruger 10/22 TD so I think I'll be good on height.
View Quote
In that case, you'll be fine.  The shorter rifle with a wood stock in my first post is a 10/22 TD with an 18.5" barrel and a fairly thick recoil pad.  i.e., the second one from the left:

The two ARs to the right of it have their stocks collapsed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top