Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2016 11:05:31 AM EDT
I watched a number of videos, some drill the holes with the safe in place and others marked, moved the safe out of the way and then drilled the holes.  All of them used expanding bolts.  All vacuumed the dust out of the holes.  

Seems like drilling with the safe in place would be less of a hassle, any reason to do it any other way?  

Will expanding bolts be sufficient to stay in place if the safe is resting in a corner of a poured concrete basement?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#1]
My Amsec BF6030HD weighs over 1200 lbs.  I positioned it in the corner, removed the interior stuff to expose the 4 pre-cut anchor holes and drilled into the concrete with a hammer drill.  Vacuum out dust and install Tapcons.  I wasn't moving that thing twice.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I am going through the safe in place. I went back and forth and have decided to use a Chemical anchor for my AMVAULT. The very helpful people at Hilti and Redhead have assured me  that the chemical anchors are stronger than the wedge anchors buy a good degree.  They also stated that the whole is not as critical when using a product like C6 plus and that the installation would be more robust and secure. I tried multiple times to talk them out of a chemical and  back into some type of wedging anchor but they persisted. So,  I am now gathering supplies to complete the process  and I'm only waiting for one of the special caulk guns to go on sale on eBay..

Here is my parts list if it helps...

1. Epcon (Redhead) C6+ (They're Recommended Epoxy for slab concrete)
2. Hilti HAS 1/2 in Threaded Stainless 6 1/2 Rod
3. Epcon "brown" brush with extender
4. Dewalt Carbide 9/16 Hammer Drill bit
5. Caulk gun with at least 26/1 compression rating
6. Small Hammer drill (rented)

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:12:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Just to piggyback on this, are most people using some sort of layer between bare concrete and the safe? I've heard stall mats help with the moisture issue. How does something like this look?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001AMJLBG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474905505&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=stall+mat&dpPl=1&dpID=51HJ2kW1UOL&ref=plSrch
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a slight slope to deal with so I used 1/4 inch steel shims in the front to level.  Allows for light airflow under the safe.  Not overly concerned with the prybar attack scenario.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Once you put a quick bolt in  nothing will pull it out. And stainless ones are the best.
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am going through the safe in place. I went back and forth and have decided to use a Chemical anchor for my AMVAULT. The very helpful people at Hilti and Redhead have assured me  that the chemical anchors are stronger than the wedge anchors buy a good degree.  They also stated that the whole is not as critical when using a product like C6 plus and that the installation would be more robust and secure. I tried multiple times to talk them out of a chemical and  back into some type of wedging anchor but they persisted. So,  I am now gathering supplies to complete the process  and I'm only waiting for one of the special caulk guns to go on sale on eBay..

Here is my parts list if it helps...

1. Epcon (Redhead) C6+ (They're Recommended Epoxy for slab concrete)
2. Hilti HAS 1/2 in Threaded Stainless 6 1/2 Rod
3. Epcon "brown" brush with extender
4. Dewalt Carbide 9/16 Hammer Drill bit
5. Caulk gun with at least 26/1 compression rating
6. Small Hammer drill (rented)

<a href="http://postimg.org/image/tzt6mmdt1/" target="_blank">http://s26.postimg.org/tzt6mmdt1/IMG_0377.jpg</a>
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Threaded rod and Hilti epoxy.  I prefer the HIT products but the HFX product is good too.  Hilti ..
The  HFX epoxy fits in a standard caulk gun...  Clean the hole with a pipe fitting brush and air, you'll have a good anchor.

Wedge anchors are generally OK but you can create a lot of leverage by pushing on the top of a safe.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Simpson has options for epoxy that fit in a standard caulk gun.

The recommend drilling the hole 1/8" bigger than the all-thread going into it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top