Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2016 8:32:01 PM EDT
I saw a lot of reviews most were good but there were some bad.  How is this system going to hold up at my residence?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Been using one for about 4 years.  The night quality has gone (I think the IR bulbs are out in a few of my cameras).
I had a hell of a time getting it online (mainly opening the right ports on my router) and had to have Swan's tech people remotely set it up about 3 times now.  Each time it took them about an hour on average with me on the phone.  They were EXTREMELY helpful, and got it working right.  If you are familiar with router set up etc it would not be hard, now I can do it if something happens (router resets itself, or change your modem/internet provider etc).

Overall I am happy.  I am looking for a new system (for my house, the Swan is in a workshop) and am going to get a Hikivision.  The Swan is good for what it is/price, but I think the Hikivision will be better/more reliable (but also much more expensive).

My Swan is older, not 1080.

Summary, not the best, but worth the money.

ETA: forgot, the hard drive went bad, but replaced the unit under warranty
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one system running for 2 1/2 years-NVR8-7200.  I purchased it from Costco.  It runs great.  Pretty easy to set up except for running the cables.  Plug n Play.  I had an issue once when I couldn't view on my laptop but could view on the phone and tablet.  I called Swann and they fixed it quickly by changing some settings.  Most cameras are under the eaves and are exposed to the elements and four seasons in NY.  I added two dome cameras from Costco and they work fine.

I have another system up for one year in Florida-NVR8-7300 that I purchased from B & H that also works great.  This system also captures audio which I don't need but is fun to play with.  I have one camera under an eve that seems to be finicky when the temps are in the mid 90's.  I might have to relocate it.

I like the playback function on the older system better but I access that directly from the nvr.  I have to remotely playback on the new system.  I don't think all the features are available when done remotely-still checking this out.

I purchased an additional camera for the 7300 system from the Swann-store on ebay which costs less than buying a single camera from B&H.  Don't buy extra cameras from Amazon as most are knockoffs and won't work properly. Make sure you check the camera compatibility chart from Swann when adding cameras.

https://www.swann.com/media/wysiwyg/docs/swann-camera-compatibility.pdf
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:57:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Been using one for about 4 years.  The night quality has gone (I think the IR bulbs are out in a few of my cameras).
I had a hell of a time getting it online (mainly opening the right ports on my router) and had to have Swan's tech people remotely set it up about 3 times now.  Each time it took them about an hour on average with me on the phone.  They were EXTREMELY helpful, and got it working right.  If you are familiar with router set up etc it would not be hard, now I can do it if something happens (router resets itself, or change your modem/internet provider etc).

Overall I am happy.  I am looking for a new system (for my house, the Swan is in a workshop) and am going to get a Hikivision.  The Swan is good for what it is/price, but I think the Hikivision will be better/more reliable (but also much more expensive).

View Quote

According to this post here, hikvision is re-branded as Lorex/Swann systems from Costco.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Dang, never knew that existed, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

According to this post here, hikvision is re-branded as Lorex/Swann systems from Costco.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.  Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top