Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2016 8:41:39 PM EDT
Hey guys, I need some help.  I recently moved to Huntsville, AL and I have found that the humidity here is insane.  Right now, my safe is in the garage and I run a 20" Golden Rod and 750 gram Silica Gel canister in the safe for good measure.  I've found that I have to dry out the silica gel about every 2 weeks, which is crazy to me and makes me worried about the humidity in the safe.  Should I be worried given what I'm running and the results?  Should I do something different?
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the South.  I live near the Smokey Mountains, which is a temperate rain forest.  You will get used to dealing with the humidity.  Unless you move your safe inside your house where the climate is more controlled, you'll just need to stay on top of keeping your safe dry and contents oiled.  When my safe was in my non-climate controlled garage, I kept 2 gel packs and just swapped them out periodically.  I never had a problem with rust.

You should buy a basic hygrometer to measure the actual humidity level.  It may not be as bad as you think.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 11:33:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Your dry rods are likely circulating the air, which is causing your silica to be exposed to more moisture.

What is your typical humidity level outside of the safe?

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 1:45:43 AM EDT
[#3]
You keep stuff behind air conditioning
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your dry rods are likely circulating the air, which is causing your silica to be exposed to more moisture.

View Quote

Unknown on humidity level outside my safe.  I don't have anything to measure it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Unknown on humidity level outside my safe.  I don't have anything to measure it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can buy a hygrometer for as little as $5-$10.  I keep one in my safe and also in my downstairs basement area where I run a dehumidifier during the summer months.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You can buy a hygrometer for as little as $5-$10.  I keep one in my safe and also in my downstairs basement area where I run a dehumidifier during the summer months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alright, hygrometrer on the way from Amazon.  What should I do if it's really high?
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:09:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yup....humidity we got, 365 days a year here in Fl. I have 2 30x22x60's in closets in the house.

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 2:21:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yup....humidity we got, 365 days a year here in Fl. I have 2 30x22x60's in closets in the house.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if I can't keep it air conditioned? There's literally no way to get my safe through the door; it's too big. I can't put more dehumidifying stuff in it?
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#9]
45% to 55% at 70 degrees is considered ideal.  If you truly have high humidity and can't run an a/c, I would run a whole room dehumidifier near the safes.

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
45% to 55% at 70 degrees is considered ideal.  If you truly have high humidity and can't run an a/c, I would run a whole room dehumidifier near the safes.

View Quote

That's what I'm looking at now. I have a normal 2 car garage. It's about 20 ft x 20 ft. Any idea what size dehumidifier I would need?
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 4:13:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's what I'm looking at now. I have a normal 2 car garage. It's about 20 ft x 20 ft. Any idea what size dehumidifier I would need?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a suggestion, but I would wait to see if there's a real problem before investing in a dehumidifier for your garage.  Especially with cooler and drier air coming.  I've lived in a high humidity environment all of my life and have never had any major issues with a garage safe that has a heat rod.  Several of my friends still keep garage safes and none have had a moisture issue.  As long as your heat rod is functional, you should be ok.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 4:58:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Just a suggestion, but I would wait to see if there's a real problem before investing in a dehumidifier for your garage.  Especially with cooler and drier air coming.  I've lived in a high humidity environment all of my life and have never had any major issues with a garage safe that has a heat rod.  Several of my friends still keep garage safes and none have had a moisture issue.  As long as your heat rod is functional, you should be ok.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good advice. I appreciate your help. I'm gonna wait to see what the hygrometer says, I'm just thinking about the worse case.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 5:53:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Not sure how the humidity in AL compares to the Richmond, VA area, but I don't have a rust issue.  I've seen winter days, when it suddenly warms up, everything in the garage will be wet.  Dew falls in the garage.  The cars are wet, the tools are wet, the outside of the safe it wet.  My guns are put away with a good coat of oil on the metal surfaces and they are not rusting.  Hell, I kept the upstairs in soft cases for over 25 years (upstairs in the attic) and they didn't rust.  I use either 3n1 oil or Mobil 1 to wipe them down with.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 8:40:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What if I can't keep it air conditioned? There's literally no way to get my safe through the door; it's too big. I can't put more dehumidifying stuff in it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It might be worthwhile to sell off your large safe and purchase two smaller ones if humidity truly proves to be an issue.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I use two rechargeable dessicants, 2 Goldenrods (never seemed like a temp diff in/outside the safe).

You can also add a VCI emmitter

Keep blued guns well oiled.  You can also use grease I use RIG Grease on my blued guns.

AR's are pretty rust proof (aluminum and most of the steel is parkerized, chrome lined etc).  The uncoated parts (BCG) should be well oiled anyway.

ETA: I have a hygrometer/thermometer on the outside and inside of my safe door, so when I open it I can check the difference.  The safe is always 10% or more less humid than outside.
I don't think a Goldenrod will change the measured humidity, but should change the dewpoint (so water won't condense on the metal guns).  So you may not see a change on the hygrometer.  The dessicant should lower the actual humidity.  The VCI won't have any effect on humidity level (just protects metal).
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 1:17:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm in Louisiana and the humidity is close to your AL conditions. Plus I just went through the flood and had to dry out my safe. Once I had it dried back out. I put a Peet drier in the safe. Its been doing a great job. I'd say try that. Peet drier
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top