User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 2:34:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just installed a full Honeywell Lyric system in my house. First system I've ever installed and a rookie to all of it. It was incredibly simple. Beyond easy and any questions are easily covered in YouTube videos. It took me a total of a few hours to do over a few days but I have a pretty extensive set up with lots of motions and glass breaks, etc. the system is pretty nice, more features than I will ever use and looks good, which was a plus for my wife.

I did all my setup through Alarmgrid.com. Zero issues and good company for me so far. Starting to expand and use some of the automation and thermostat. Nice features if that is of interest to you too.

I looked at simplisafe but glad I went with this over it. Seems like a much more robust and legit security system vs a system like simplisafe.
View Quote

That is good news.   My lyric will be here Monday. I want to do some of the automation as well with light being turned on when the garage door opens and some other.  Did you mount the main unit on the wall and how did you power it?
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#2]
To WrightIP. The main unit, I have a closet with an outlet in it. I just drilled a small hole from the inside of the closet to my main area and then mounted it on the wall wire fed through to the closet power. This was the hardest part of the install. The main control panel does have an option for just laying it on a surface, flat or at an angle.

You will need to get some 24v low voltage wire to install it and run power. It doesn't come with wire.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Got it thank you.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#4]
That's great to hear MegaHz. I've been eyeing the Lyric system and have almost bought it myself. I'm also curious to hear WrightIP's thoughts.

Did you buy one of the kits that includes the door sensors? My price checks seem to show those as cheaper.

How do the sensors mount to the wall? Is it a screw and anchor or like a 3M Command Strip?

Do you have any issues with sensor range and not being able to communicate?
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 10:04:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's great to hear MegaHz. I've been eyeing the Lyric system and have almost bought it myself. I'm also curious to hear WrightIP's thoughts.

Did you buy one of the kits that includes the door sensors? My price checks seem to show those as cheaper.

How do the sensors mount to the wall? Is it a screw and anchor or like a 3M Command Strip?

Do you have any issues with sensor range and not being able to communicate?
View Quote

I started with one of the kits and then added from there.  It does save a few bucks and I needed/could use all the components of the kit and just added all the other stuff I needed.  This by far has not been the cheapest system I could have gotten.  Much cheaper options out there but I figured for safety and coolness factor this one has met my expectations and more.  Installation is very easy, you basically get it into install mode and pull the battery tabs on all the sensors, they pair themselves up and that is about it.

You can screw them into the walls/ceilings but I just used 3M tape.  They have been up for over a month now using tape with zero issues.  

I have not had any range issues.  My house is 2 story and pretty good sized.  My control panel is at the front and my furthest sensor is on my garage door, it is a decent distance away and many walls between.  It is fine so far as is the extra siren I put on the upper level which is a distance away from the panel as well.  Unless a person has a very long house and plans to put the panel at one end or if their house is crazy big, I don't think the range thing will be an issue.  

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 10:10:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I see people referring to jam proof wireless alarms and I don't believe there can be any such thing. You get a transmitter powerful enough, if it is wireless, it can be jammed.

Systems can utilize a sensor heartbeat that makes the sensors check in with the control panel periodically, and if they aren't heard from then panel can trigger and report a trouble, or even be programmed to report it as a zone violation, but things can still be jammed.

Encrypting the signal is helpful in that someone can't create a signal that emulates a given sensor and makes it look like the zone hasn't been violated when it has, but at the end of the day, if it is wireless it is susceptible to tampering.

I prefer hard wired alarm systems and only utilize wireless sensors when absolutely necessary.

As for monitoring, I have had good luck with Alarmrelay. I have used them for years on 2 properties with my self installed DSC systems. http://www.alarmrelay.com/
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just installed a full Honeywell Lyric system in my house. First system I've ever installed and a rookie to all of it. It was incredibly simple. Beyond easy and any questions are easily covered in YouTube videos. It took me a total of a few hours to do over a few days but I have a pretty extensive set up with lots of motions and glass breaks, etc. the system is pretty nice, more features than I will ever use and looks good, which was a plus for my wife.

I did all my setup through Alarmgrid.com. Zero issues and good company for me so far. Starting to expand and use some of the automation and thermostat. Nice features if that is of interest to you too.

I looked at simplisafe but glad I went with this over it. Seems like a much more robust and legit security system vs a system like simplisafe.
View Quote

How difficult was the wire of the control panel? I'm not a wiring expert and don't want to get in over my head. Also which starter kit for the lyric did you use from AlarmGrid?
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 9:27:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

How difficult was the wire of the control panel? I'm not a wiring expert and don't want to get in over my head. Also which starter kit for the lyric did you use from AlarmGrid?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tha actual wiring process is very simple. Get some low voltage wire and hook positive to positive and negative to negative. The challenging part was running the wire/hiding it so it was an appealing install that looked professional and passed my wife's test for looks.

I ordered the kit with 3 door sensors and a motion I think. Total was $435 or so. I wanted cellular monitoring but wasn't sure if Verizon or att was best (new construction and wasn't sure which cell coverage was best for me at the time). I just ordered the module later to cover my needs there. If you just want to monitor via Internet or if you know what cell coverage works. I'd order the cell module with the kit. I couldn't at the time I was ordering.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top