Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2016 9:11:39 AM EDT
Looking for battery powered LED Safe Lighting?  Maybe motion activated.  Any suggestions?

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I just picked up a 5 light led remote control set from Sams for $20.  You can just turn 1 one with a tap on the light or all of them with the remote.

Lights
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:23:14 PM EDT
[#2]
put this system together off amazon for cheap. Awesome white lighting.

Battery pack

Motion sensor

Led lights

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Nice! How long do the batteries last? I assume you used all 16ft of led lights?

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought 2 motion powered led 'pucks' on Amazon I think. I put Velcro on the back so they could attach to the fabric and be moved around. One is under the top shelf pointing down and the other is towards the bottom on the wall in the shelving side. Thought about getting a few more but it's fine for what i need.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 8:40:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I ran the whole length of led lights in the safe. I can not say how long the lights will last from the battery pack but I'm assuming it will last the whole year with some good batteries. I have the light timed to turn off after a minute unless motion is sensed. You can also purchase a remote controller to connect to the lights to dim them battery usage is a concern.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the MaxMySafe setup and really like it.

YMMV, but when I hooked the lights up to a voltage inverter (110v wall plug) they were SIGNIFICANTLY brighter. I would only use batteries if you don't have power anywhere near the safe.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 6:47:38 AM EDT
[#7]

i have to give you major props on this setup, total spent was $25 bucks and it made a huge difference

Before only overhead garage light turned on

After...just the LEDs garage light turned off

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 6:48:32 AM EDT
[#8]
i think i will add another strand of the leds along the back help brighten up those dark spots, this is a big 72 gun safe
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 12:19:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Tag for project.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Just want to add that I tried this and it worked great! Not that I doubted you, Optimal.

I used 8 of the Amazon basics high capacity NiMH rechargeable batteries which comes to 9.6v. Its plenty bright. I may run a test on the battery life, but I need some time off of work first.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:04:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just want to add that I tried this and it worked great! Not that I doubted you, Optimal.  

I used 8 of the Amazon basics high capacity NiMH rechargeable batteries which comes to 9.6v. Its plenty bright. I may run a test on the battery life, but I need some time off of work first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Glad the setup worked well for you. I like the idea of rechargeable batteries. With kids I go through so many batteries and will be purchasing some for myself
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Glad the setup worked well form you. I like the idea of rechargeable batteries. With kids I go through so many batteries and will be purchasing some for myself

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad the setup worked well form you. I like the idea of rechargeable batteries. With kids I go through so many batteries and will be purchasing some for myself

I highly recommend the Amazon basics as NiMH. They are rebadged Sanyo eneloops. I probably have >200 of these things stashed around the house. And, (currently) the price of the high capacity cells (rebadged eneloop pro) is too close to the standard capacity cells to not upgrade.

You'll also want a good smart charger to keep them healthy. I went with the lacrosse BC-700.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:05:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Man that looks really nice. So one only needs to order that battery pack, motion sensor, and the LED lights you linked to get it up and running? No need for anything else?
Guess I'm just going to have to wait for the LED lights you linked to come back in stock. Sold out at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:21:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Man that looks really nice. So one only needs to order that battery pack, motion sensor, and the LED lights you linked to get it up and running? No need for anything else?

Guess I'm just going to have to wait for the LED lights you linked to come back in stock. Sold out at the moment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

All you NEED is the battery pack, led strip lights and batteries. The battery pack has an on/off switch.

I used these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00719NF0U/ref=sxts1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471839323&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65

If you remove the wall adapter the lights will plug right into the battery pack linked above. You can then use the dimmer that comes with those particular lights, or the power switch on the battery pack.

ETA: you'll need to add the motion sensor if you want that feature. I didn't get one. I use the dimmer that came with my lights.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#15]
If you don't want a motion sensor I advise on getting this remote.  Note: when i purchased this item it was $4.99

Remote

Also advise on these batteries if your a Costco  member. They come in a 8 pack AA and 4 AAA and a charger. If not a member there's a link to amazon

Enelloop
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I just got my power pack today and hope to have it all finished Saturday. I will post some pictures.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, the LED ones Optimal linked are still sold out. Would any of those LED light strings work as well?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 2:47:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Well, the LED ones Optimal linked are still sold out. Would any of those LED light strings work as well?
View Quote
I linked the ones I used a few posts up. They're a little more expensive, but come with a dimmer and wall plug if you choose to use them.

ETA: they'll plug into the battery pack with/without the dimmer.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:53:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

All you need to do is match the LED voltage to the power supply voltage...  12v LED to 12 volt power supply.  You can be off a couple volts upwards and more down typically.  

There are tons of other LED options on Amazon.  The one below is not bad and it's cheap.

12V LED Strip Lighting w/ Plug
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Tagged
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#21]
How did you secure the LED's in the safe?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

How did you secure the LED's in the safe?
View Quote
The LEDs I linked above have a tape-like adhesive on the back. It isn't very strong (and not too good at sticking to carpet ), so I picked up some hook and loop strips that have adhesive on one side. I think 3m makes it. It was less than 5 bucks at china-mart. Stick the hook and loop side to the carpet in your safe (I think I used about 12-15 pieces 2" long. 4 on the top and bottom and 3? down the sides)and the adhesive on those will stick to the adhesive on the back of your lights. Kinda redneck, but it works.

ETA: My lights are on the inside of the front facing towards the back of the safe, so you can't see them at all unless you stick your head all the way into the safe. Your safe may be different.

Also, looks like OP's walls are not carpeted. This would be ideal as you wouldn't have to by the hook and loop strips.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Awesome! Buying these for my pop's birthday. His safe is like a dungeon and he used a dang headlamp to see in there.

Can anyone recommend a battery pack? The one listed has a three week delivery time.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a very similar set up using the same battery pack as Optimals system, however I have the system wired to power and have the battery pack as a back up. Simple flip of the switch to turn on the lights when power is off, no need to re-wire anything.

Couple things I learned along the way:
I found that by turning my motion sensor sideways and putting it on the left wall allowed the light to turn on 100% of the time with just the movement of the the door.
Be aware there are multiple brightness and colors of lights available and obviously bright lights need more juice.
Found the cutting led strip into lengths and using quick connectors allow optional placement and coverage. Have mine mounted on the front wall facing backward.
Velcro turned out to be the easiest and best way to attach the lights, battery pack and sensor.
There are many types of sensors out there. I found one that worked with door movement and has adjustable timing.

Oh, forgot. Bought all my stuff on EBay for $52

-T
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:16:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Nice. I might do that same thing but use my spare cell phone battery packs to power it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks Optimal and others... Im going to be purchasing similar stuff to do the lighting job.  

I'll post pics when finished.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 7:48:23 AM EDT
[#28]
As the other member has stated (mrtoyz)

Couple things I learned along the way:
I found that by turning my motion sensor sideways and putting it on the left wall allowed the light to turn on 100% of the time with just the movement of the the door.

I have mine placed on the right side and find myself waving my foot to activate it sometimes. Not a big deal but just to put that out there. Maybe ill mess around with it to get 100 % function.

Also I highly recommend the rechargeable batteries. Those batteries lasted longer then regular batteries. So far I have had to recharge them once since I recommended and installed. I go in my safe every other day.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 10:00:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I use the Mr Beams MB723, one outside on the wall so I can read the dial and one inside.  It's not as nice as the custom set-up posted above, but it gets the job done.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Got my light kit here..

It's all plug and play and you can add to the system as you see fit. 
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 2:33:26 AM EDT
[#31]
I ordered some parts for my DIY lighting kit and should have them here this week. 

Since im using a 4.2AH cell phone battery pack I ended up getting two 6' long 5V LED light strips with male-USB plug ends for $16 and a 4 port USB hub with individually selectable power switches for each port for $7. 

I wont have instant on when I open the safe but this was far cheaper and easier to accomplish a battery powered safe lighting solution. Will post pics when I get it installed and my office/safe cleaned up. It's a mess right now 

ETA:  Here's what I ordered

USB hub with switches $6.89 (prime eligible)

6' long 5v USB powered LED light strip $8.20 (prime eligible)

ETA2: got the lights in today. They come with an adhesive backing. I cut small strips of sticky back Velcro and stuck them to each other. Popped the lights in the safe just to see if it would be enough light and two strips are perfect. the hub/switch should arrive tomorrow so I'll know if this setup is perfect or not. 

ETA3: my battery pack has an auto off feature. The USB hub alone with the two empty buttons on "on" with their LED lights on isn't enough draw to keep it on. I might look into a usb powered temp and humidity sensor/recorder to keep it active or make something. 
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 8:49:14 AM EDT
[#32]
TAG LIGHTS
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

All you need to do is match the LED voltage to the power supply voltage...  12v LED to 12 volt power supply.  You can be off a couple volts upwards and more down typically.  

There are tons of other LED options on Amazon.  The one below is not bad and it's cheap.

12V LED Strip Lighting w/ Plug
View Quote

purchase these for the $.44  more if you plane to use a dc power supply b/c they will come with the female end already attached to the lights. the ones the op link only come with 2 bare wires.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Here's mine using LED strip lights, motion sensor, and a dc power supply I had at home from an old paper shredder.  
Got about $17 in it all. Led strip has sticky back but every 8 inches there is a piece of Velcro stuck to it to help it stay attached to the safe wall.
Motion sensor is attached about 2/3 the way up on the right side facing the opposite side of the safe wall so not facing out.  Works just fine and safe turns on when the door is opened.
The door will open about 2 inchs and then the lights pop on.
Safe is a Liberty 18 gun safe and the 15 feet strip was perfect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top