Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2016 7:01:50 PM EDT
Going to set up cameras in my new house (new to me, not new construction).

I have an older Swann DVR in a workshop and am pretty happy with it.  I planned to do a dedicated PC, but wanted to know the pros and cons (I've read the stickies on setting them up).

I want PoE, 3MP and want to be able to view from internet when away or via home network.

I have a Windows phone, and Swann Apps don't work well, but I have MEyePro that is working for my current Swann DVR.

Was set on a PC based, but I'm thinking a dedicated DVR may be simpler and cheaper.  Something like THIS

Any big pros to a PC based system??

Any big drawbacks to a standalone DVR?  (can you only use Swann cameras with the Swann?  Seems like they use network cable...)
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#1]
My brother has been in the security business for years and installs many residential and commercial IP cameras every year.  Until about a year ago he was using PC based systems exclusively.  He had previously had lots of trouble with the dedicated NVR's.  He is now using Hikvision cameras and NVR's and is well pleased with the results.  The cost for the NVR vs. the PC is about the same.  He finds his installers can complete the job in less time with less hassle when using the dedicated NVR's.

On the other hand, I built a PC based system running Blue Iris video management software and could not be happier.  For the same price as a quality NVR I built a great Intel i7 based machine.  Bottom line is I have more flexibility, and if something in the PC breaks it's not going to be a big deal fixing it for a nominal cost.  Also, if I decide to try other VMS software, or another brand of camera I'm good to go.

You won't go wrong either way as long as you are using good equipment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top