Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2016 11:52:59 PM EDT
So I'm in the market for a gun safe. There are two local safe/locksmith shops that I have to choose from other than the big box stores. One shop sells Liberty and the other sells AMSEC and Hayman. The AMSEC is out of my price range so that leaves me with either Liberty or Hayman.

I'll start by saying that I don't live in a bad neighborhood and there is not a lot of crime in our area, I don't advertise or brag about anything that I have, I try to keep anything gun related out of sight when someone does have to be in the house and we have an alarm system and dogs. I understand you get what you pay for and am counting on the alarm going off if someone breaks in and it doesn't give them time to do anything to the safe if they find it.

The Hayman is from a dealer who is SAVTA affiliated so I would think if this was their cheap safe it would at least be a step or two above a big box store safe. The body and door exterior is 12 gauge steel but they do say that there is over 3/4 inch of steel between the door and lock. They also state that the body is made from one continuous piece of steel so there are no welds on the body. The Hayman is a little larger and heavier and has 1 1/4" bolts on all 4 sides of the door.

The equivalent Liberty from the other company is a Colonial which is a two piece body, which I would assume would be welded, using 11 gauge steel. The liberty is a little smaller and only has 1" bolts around the door. Both safes have the same fire protection of 1hr@1200 degrees.

I'm limited to right at 40" width for the safe so both of these meet that requirement. I will be putting this in a corner so I can make sure that I have the door open closest to the wall and bolt it down to the foundation to help with any tipping or prying someone might try to do.

Can someone recommend one of these? Is there anything I'm over looking between the two on why one would be better than the other?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:52:53 AM EDT
[#1]
What is your budget and what size safe are you trying to get. You may also look into buying online. As much as I like to support my local places, Im not paying retail on a safe. It may be much cheaper to buy online and have it shipped to you. Just fyi, while the Hayman says 1 piece body, all the sides are probably one piece. The top and bottom are usually separate and welded on. Id make sure they are fully welded, not stitch welded. Apparently you can take a simple 3-5lb hammer and pop the top off of safes that are not fully welded.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:43:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm thinking around $2000 and largest safe I could fit would be 36" x 24". I've been watching too many videos lately.  I look at the liberty safes and unless I can afford at least $3000 I just don't feel that i can get a good safe from them.  After talking to the Hayman dealer today I get the feeling that it is the same as the Liberty and I'll probably be spending around $2000 to have the Haynam delivered.  I could purchase something else, a Strudy safe for around $2500, but then would still be spending another $500 or so to have it delivered and installed.

I have to stop over thinking this but it just seems like I'm going to have to spend at least $3000 to get something I think I could trust.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:23:05 AM EDT
[#3]
My local safe retailer quoted me about 3000 for a bf6030HD amsec safe, this is a excellent safe
for the money 1/2 in. Solid plate door, 10 gauge outer body, 4 gauge (1/4 in.) Inner body.

Continuous concrete/fire retardant filler between inner and outer steel layers (not sheetrock)

Price included delivery and installation.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:07:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Thats a decent budget to work with. Look online like WestCoastSafes or Dean Safe. Their MSRP prices are minimum advertised prices and you will get a better deal than that. Ft Knox may be within reach for something in the 60x30 size
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top