Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2016 5:10:16 PM EDT
I have narrowed down my search for a good closet safe to an Amsec TF5517, a Mesa MGL14e, and Liberty Centurion 12 gun safes. The closet that it will inhabit is small and oddly shaped so it has to be narrow for it to fit and function properly. I only have 3 long guns and two handguns so those all seem to fit the bill. They are all right around the same price ($650-$700 shipped to my area) and they all have features that set them apart.

I am leaning towards the Amsec because of the included door organizer, a big plus with limited space, and the ESL5 lock's superior reliability (according to a locksmith I know). But I like the included power and beefy 12 gauge construction of the Mesa, and the flat locking plates of the Liberty are intriguing. Anything else I should consider? Any added insight would be helpful and appreciated....

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I think I'm going with the Amsec TF5517E5. At this size (under 18" wide) the selection is pretty limited to foreign made cookie cutter safes. I guess that is what the market dictates at this size and price point.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Apparently we're looking for pretty much the same thing, though I may opt for slightly less closet space and go for something more like a 20 gun.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I have kinda paused my safe purchase while I consider moving it out of the closet. I have two young kids (both under 5) and would prefer the safe be tucked away inside the closet. With kids it's outta sight outta mind. But the closet has a 24" door and an angled wall immediately inside the door jamb so options are limited (it has to be under 18" wide in other words). I like the idea that inside the closet the safe is hidden and out of sight, but the options are limited. Also there is such little space to swing a crowbar inside the closet that it would be a nightmare to break into without power tools. The only downside is the lack of storage space and possibly to expand in the future.

On the other hand if I opt to step up the size and security rating it will likely be in plain sight inside my home. It will be immediately noticeable to almost anyone who comes into my house and my kids (and possibly other guests) will likely ask about it and its contents all the time. Also it would be in a more open location, much more accessible to go at with hand tools. So I am still on the fence at the moment, although the closet safe seems to be the better alternative IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top